Sun, Oct 6, 6:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Totally off topic - please forgive me - who here plays Diablo 3?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 2:23 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 2:33 AM

Hi folks. Sorry for the totally off topic post. If you have no interest in Diablo 3, skip this thread.

I'm looking for pals in Diablo 3. I am addicted to this game. Do any of you play? Since I'm known here and you're all my friends, I figured it would be to my advantage to find you in-game.

I have been playing a monk since around November. I was poor for a long time, then I worked out the math to make a profit from crafting gems. This helped me acquire enough gold to buy the gear necessary to reach 200K damage per second (DPS).

I use the auction house but never used it as a money maker. Now I have been flipping items. I have more in-game gold from that in one week than from 6 months of farming monsters for items.

I have two recipes for making tons of in-game gold that I have shared with nobody. I suspect I can discover more, but I have little time to do all the research and trades. I'm looking for partners to collaborate.

If you have time to kill you can make actual cash from this game, as there is a real money auction house (known as RMAH). I do not play the RMAH, since in real life I make plenty of real money. But I play the game for the thrill and making in-game gold is a big deal for me. If you have the time to kill, I can help you make actual real money in this game.

I'm not at all one of the top players - there are people with hundreds of billions of gold, and at the moment I only have 580 million. But if you'd like to collaborate, I'd like that too. I trust my Rendo/Poser friends. I don't trust the Diablo players at all. Almost every other trade I do, the other guy is a scammer.

If you want to chat with me about this, please do post here. I don't think Rendo will mind us using one thread for off-topic purposes.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ghostman ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 2:57 PM

I would love too, but my characters on the US server is not in a high enough level yet.    :(

I mainly play on the European server when I'm playing.

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

morgothemage ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 4:23 PM

Hey Bill,

Great idea!

I have been playing off and on since dec. present from my kids.

I play a demon hunter paragon 11 ATM.

If you are intrested i will drop you my battlenet id via pm.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 4:56 PM

I wanted to like Diablo 3, but seeing as how Blizzard has bastardized all things MMO I just can't let myself be tempted. I do like most of the artwork tho. I played WoW for years, until I realized it's completely meaningless, your presence has no effect on the game what so ever, it's just a gear grind. (completely not the point of an MMO).

IMO - the auctionhouse is what killed the MM in MMOs. Well, one of the reasons.

When I'm not building models I play GW2. Which isn't much better really. :(

Waiting impatiently for World of Darkness

~Shane

Cheers ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 8:24 PM

Quote - Waiting impatiently for World of Darkness

~Shane

I think you'll be waiting a long time after the big shake up at CCP a couple of years ago. I know they have people still at the Atlanta office, but the amount of developers working on WoD can be counted on one hand. CCP realised they couldn't have their thumbs in too many pies, were losing subscriptions from their main stable revenue, while they used it as a test bed for WOD technologies. I'm sure that CCP are still comitted to WoD in some form...I'm just not sure that in these economic climates, that the money is there.

From what I can make out, 99% of development is on EVE and Dust514.

Anyway, I'm a long time EVE player. Yep, it has a high learning curve, but when you're in a 1000+ man fleet fight, it's memorable!

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 8:41 PM

It's still very much in development. Just do a google search for recent articles on it. They showed some in-game footage at the recent EVE fanfest. But release is still a good year or two out. I'd guess the earliest would be sometime late next year or early 2015. Something tells me tho that innitial launch may seem more like a vampire SIMS online than an actual RPG. We will see.

Just wish someone would make a true MMO, more in line with what Richard Garriot originally intended, instead of these giant corporations turning it into a theme park. 

At any rate, don't mean to highjack Bills thread. Apologies.

~Shane

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 10:45 PM

Quote - I wanted to like Diablo 3, but seeing as how Blizzard has bastardized all things MMO I just can't let myself be tempted. I do like most of the artwork tho. I played WoW for years, until I realized it's completely meaningless, your presence has no effect on the game what so ever, it's just a gear grind. (completely not the point of an MMO).

IMO - the auctionhouse is what killed the MM in MMOs. Well, one of the reasons.

When I'm not building models I play GW2. Which isn't much better really. :(

Waiting impatiently for World of Darkness

~Shane

Also waiting patiently for WOD.  

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 10:49 PM

Quote - It's still very much in development. Just do a google search for recent articles on it. They showed some in-game footage at the recent EVE fanfest. But release is still a good year or two out. I'd guess the earliest would be sometime late next year or early 2015. Something tells me tho that innitial launch may seem more like a vampire SIMS online than an actual RPG. We will see.

Just wish someone would make a true MMO, more in line with what Richard Garriot originally intended, instead of these giant corporations turning it into a theme park. 

At any rate, don't mean to highjack Bills thread. Apologies.

~Shane

unfortunately games that aren't 'themepark' style tend to do poorly overall.  Perhaps eve is an exception.  All the cool things that were in SWG were from before the themepark days.  But it was bleeding subs and not enough players were satisfied to 'make their own content'  they wanted it spoonfed themepark style.

Now I'm sad...

ahem.. anyway.. back on topic.  I havent played Diablo but I'd also be thrilled to goof around in a game with my fellow forumistas

FalseBogus ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 2:03 AM · edited Mon, 20 May 2013 at 2:16 AM

o/

I do play, not so frequently these days but still.

My chars are on euro-servers, all classes lvl60 (paragon levels 17-34) and , mostly playing with barbarian these days.

[edit]

If any of you wish to add me as friend, pm me and I'll give you my tag

teffo ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 11:11 PM · edited Tue, 21 May 2013 at 11:12 PM

I play as a LVL 70 WD, and have made good profit just farming, sometimes flipping items like you. I would love to hear you ideas. I will look you up next time. I play west coast evenings US.

George

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2013 at 7:22 AM

Hey all - somehow I totally missed notifications of replies to this thread. !!

Since I first posted, I've increased my gold to 880M. Again, that's more gain in 7 days than all my time farming.

I also started playing hard core, and since I had absolutely no wealth in that realm, it was interesting to see if my ideas apply to beginners. I now have 15M gold and a level 46 monk in Act 2 nightmare.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 01 June 2013 at 8:18 AM

I think a spreadsheet is essential. I use it mostly for record keeping records on purchases and sales, for calculating what my buy/sell limits should be on an item, as a crafting calculator for gem crafting profit, and for keeping track of my progress within a day.

I made my first 100Mg (and the next several 100M) crafting gem upgrades. Before I convince you of the merits, let me acknowledge the objections just so you know that you don't have to explain them to me.

• This is a tricky business and is often a losing proposition - don't do it without spreadsheet analysis or you will likely lose money. (I use a spreadsheet and always make a profit - every time.)

• It takes a lot of time to make the gems and you could be playing instead. (I craft in batches on one computer while I do real work on the other, so I can craft all day without play time cost - I wouldn't be playing anyway during the day. I work from home - many people cannot do this - many can.)

• Profits are rarely large - there are few chances for a big payoff like farming. (I farmed for hundreds of hours and never came close to the profit per hour of gem crafting.)

• You need some serious cash to float the costs of batch crafting. Example - as of yesterday morning (my last data set), crafting 2187 flawless square emeralds into radiant squares will temporarily put you in the hole by 47M. After you sell them, the profit is 5M. (Once I had 100M, this was never an issue. It sure was when I had less than 20M.)

• If you get in a competition with other gem crafters, or worse, gem flippers, pricing can drop out from under you leaving you without a profit margin. You may have to hold on to the gems for a day or two and your cash is tied up. (Again - not a problem when you already have 100M+.)

But now the good news:

• At any given moment, there are some upgrades that make a profit. One of these is better than the others. It could be to radiant star, but that isn't usually the best profit per hour. It's often radiant square, star, flawless star, or perfect star. Profit per hour is typically 6 to 10 Million.

• When you're in the gem business, you have a lot of them and you get them cheaper than anybody else. It's easy to grab a few for yourself here and there and you don't feel like you spent any money on them. Essentially all my gems that I use on my toon were "free". They really weren't free, but they sure were purchased "wholesale".

• With the recent 1.08 patch and one-click batch crafting, this really isn't a lot of work anymore. It still takes clock time, but during most of that you're not actually even looking at the screen.

You might ask why I'm willing to tell any of this. It's because I have pretty much moved on from gem crafting as I approach 1Billion gold. It makes total sense to do it when you have less then 300M, and less and less as you go up from there. So I don't care if you guys compete with me as crafters. I will still do it when the spreadsheet says its hot, but mostly I'm relying on flipping now.

More to come...

teffo ( ) posted Sun, 02 June 2013 at 12:05 AM

That's excellent to hear. your method sounds methodical, and I will try the spreadsheet approach. I only have 4Mill currently, and have been flipping items just to buy better armour for my toon, and leveling up. Paragon levels are very slow, and exp goes up exponential with levels.

George

morgothemage ( ) posted Sun, 02 June 2013 at 3:23 PM

Thanks Ted

Great advice! Look forward to hear more.

teffo ( ) posted Tue, 04 June 2013 at 4:42 PM · edited Tue, 04 June 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ok, here's my update. I followed BB idea, and made my own excel sheet and using vbscript,   to datalink live AH data from websites  using an HTML parser, I was able to calculate the best gem to make. there are sites that plot gem prices long term, so it is like real life commodity tracking. Flawless star emeralds were up 20% so these made the best profit. I then started buying flawless squares by buying low (hit search often) , and was making 160k per gem. I would buy enough for 4 gems worth of materials, and crafting was a click fest. In my first 8 gems, I had 1M gold profit, and while watching TV... Took about 30min. So while this works better than the lvl 20 Paragon WD farming, you gain no levels, and game progression. I am getting good gold farming MP 5 inferno, and can yield 30,000g per 5 min run till bags are full of yellow items. So it's about personal style which is better for you...but gem farming and crafting is fine, and I will continue.

One thing of mention, I am not aware of one click batch crafting.

george

FalseBogus ( ) posted Tue, 04 June 2013 at 5:07 PM

Quote - One thing of mention, I am not aware of one click batch crafting.

This was added in last patch. Next to craft button there's a box where you can say how many items you want to craft. Then you need to hit craft just once and it repeats until you've made the set amount of gems. 

Then you need to repeat that for next gemlevel upgrade and so on.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 04 June 2013 at 8:45 PM · edited Tue, 04 June 2013 at 8:51 PM

I am in hardcore lately. Yesterday I crafted gems over the course of the day while working and increased my gold 8M. Time actually at the computer was maybe 10 minutes.

Today I'm playing (just got into hell and I'm now level 55) and I'm right now crafting three flawless star that are going to make 4.6M profit. This could be traded for softcore gold at 4:1 so it's worth about 18M profit softcore. My total hardcore gold is 24M at the moment so I can't float very big batches yet.

PS - Gems just sold - 4.6M profit!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 05 June 2013 at 5:11 AM

Buyers are scarce in hardcore, so sometimes it takes a while to sell a batch. I left 6 gems in the AH overnight. They're sold now. So another 7.1M overnight. I'm up to 36M hardcore gold.

morgothemage ( ) posted Wed, 05 June 2013 at 7:38 PM

Nice congrats!

I am afraid of hardcore only 35 monk ther. Something about loosing it all just chills me to the bone,HAHA.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.