Sun, Oct 6, 7:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: pp2012 continues to be unuseable

luckybears ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 2:37 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 12:37 AM

My comp is 6 yrs old but I have kept it up to date: intel 4 core, 8 gb ram and today a GEFORCE GTX 650 ti BOOST graphics card, yet still pp 2012 works like it is running on steam when previewing using Open GL: works well enough using SREED preview. The computer man tells me, and every other program confirms, that my sytstem is hot. He says the problem is pp2012 and has gone to investigate - I rely on him, he's a lovely chappie that won't take payment for the new graphics card unless pp2012 works, he'll just put back my old GC if he can't sort it.

Can any one help with advice about how pp2012 acceses the open GL facilty on the card? The main problem is a three seond lag between instruction, eg. selecting and dragging a prop, and the action when usin Open Gl, it is slightly quicker using SREED. Camera has a similar three second lag. I have triple buffering enabled as well as threaded optimisation, sadly, that makes no odds. The rest is application controlled.

I am having to compose models and scenes in pp2010 then send them to pp2012 for rendering, which, IDL apart, it does well.

Because of the lag weight mapping is impractical

I want to buy pp2014 but until I can get pp2012 working it would be silly, and I really want some of the features in pp2014.

Thank you for reading this anf for any ideas you might have.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 2:47 PM

Do you have a graphic card AND an "on board" graphic chip in your machine ?

At least for laptops, Windows by default prefers the on board chip for OpenGL preview to safe energy, and you have to force it to use the regular graphic card for Poser instead.

Other than that, I can only think of making sure you use the latest graphic card drivers available.

luckybears ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 2:53 PM

Joe: how do you 'force it' to use the GC? - really, I know nothing about the workings of comps :) drivers up to date.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 2:57 PM

Is your operating system 64 bit?

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 3:11 PM

The NVIDIA geforce should come with it's own settings manager.

(It installed on my machine along with a driver update)

There you select "3D" and then program settings.

Select Poser from the 3D programs that can be set individually and force Windows to always use the geforce card both for Poser as well as the Firefly renderer.

luckybears ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 3:41 PM

Joe: 64 bit win 7. I have the settings manager but have not looked at the 3d settings, will now. TY :)

luckybears ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 3:46 PM · edited Sat, 25 May 2013 at 3:47 PM

Just looked at the, Joe, no change:) trip buffering etc ok. Is there anything in pp2012 that say 'use open GL preview when told to'?.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 4:21 PM

Sorry, no idea about individual settings. All I had to do was force Windows to use the Geforce card for Poser and everything worked fine.

The only thing still extremely slowing down my OpenGL preview is if I use "multilayer transparency".

Everything else works instantly without any lag, including hardware shadows.

:-(

luckybears ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 7:13 PM

Thanks Joe

ToxicWolf ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2013 at 11:27 PM

Lucky,

You might want to think about using more ram since you have a 64 bit system. RAM is fairly inexpensive. I have no problems at all with my system. You can see the system I use in the sig.

Poser Pro 2012 SR3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core I7 990x 3.46G 6 core

24G RAM

EVGA GTX580 R Video Card

Single HP LP2475 1920x1200 monitor

http://www.toxicwolf.com

modus0 ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 3:49 AM

Attached Link: Memory Limits for Windows

> Quote - Lucky, > > You might want to think about using more ram since you have a 64 bit system. RAM is fairly inexpensive. I have no problems at all with my system. You can see the system I use in the sig.

It's probably not RAM. I've got 8 GB on my system, and an ancient Geforce 8800 GT and I haven't experienced any slowdowns with OpenGL for either Poser Pro 2010 or 2014.

Also, unless luckybears (or anyone) has Home Premium or higher, recommending more memory would be pointless as Windows 7 wouldn't be able to access it. The link is the Microsoft page for Memory Limits.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 11:00 AM

Make sure your graphic driver is from Nvidia and not from Microsoft.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

luckybears ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 12:27 PM

The drivers are on disc and came with the CG and have been updated. pp2012 is calling only 2gb of ram so maybe allowing it access more might help. How would I do that?

Thanks for the info and help :)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 1:35 PM
Site Admin

Forgive me if I missed something here, but where poser is only using 2 gig and no more, are you sure you are running the 64bit version? If I remember correctly it does come with both and I also think I remember some people (myself included) running the wrong one at first. 2012 most likely uses more memory to run than 2010 so that might be why you are seeing a difference. Then again, I might be way off.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 3:39 PM · edited Sun, 26 May 2013 at 3:41 PM

for the graphics on OpenGL, onboard ram will only count if the GFX card is onboard (it then shares Ram with system rather than having dedicated ram) ... if the card is seperate, system ram is irrelevant.

now,a 650 has more than enough grunt. I'd check you've got drivers from Nivida themselves - NOT microsoft or the card makers - and what else you have running. this is a system / software / configuration problem, not hardware.

aeilkema ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 3:41 PM

More RAM isn't going to solve OpenGL problems at all, bad advice..... I've only got 6Gb and the openGL is just fine, even on my older 4Gb machine it's fine, since it depends on the graphics card.

I cannot add anything to the discussion, but it really sounds like you've got 2 graphics cards and poser is picking the wrong one. I've got 2 as well and by default poser chooses the one that's build in with the CPU and that one is slow. I had a hard time getting poser to use the good on. Every application I would assign to the fast powerful card would run fine, but poser just didn't want to run on it and kept on choosing the slow one.

In the end I went into the power savings settings and told the computer to always run in high performance and never use power savings. That worked for me, now Windows 7 is always using the best graphics card and the slow card is never used.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 6:18 PM · edited Sun, 26 May 2013 at 6:26 PM

(copied from my RDNA post in response to Paul)

Quote Originally Posted by paul2301 View Post

...PP2012 seemed fixed a 2Gb ram in task manager.

Can you verify that you're running the 64bit program? By default, PP2012 will install both 32bit and 64bit versions on a 64bit machine.

I have Poser Pro 2012 on a 64bit Win7 machine, and it runs quite well. So, the questions is: What factor is different?

Poser does use the video card for preview if hardware shading is enabled. Poser will display the small font-size green notice that hardware shading is supported in the preview settings if your card is good enough. While a decent card will allow you to use hardware shading, some of the preview settings (enhance multilayer transparency, AO) are best left for final pre-render checks. Most folks never change their preview settings, even though they naturally advance from draft up to final quality with the Firefly render settings. I use several preview settings, just as I use several Firefly render presets.

Did you look at the preview render settings? (post a screenshot if you can) Try changing to a simpler preview mode by clicking on one of the preset preview mode balls in the UI; the further left, the better the system resource economy. Does the system respond well in outline mode, for instance?

As others have suggested, set Poser in the nVidia control panel.  I think it more likely that setting your system to "high performance" will do the trick.  I never use the energy saving mode.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

luckybears ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2013 at 8:58 AM

Thank you very much seachnasaigh, problem solved :) Poser pp2012 now useable:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.