Tue, Sep 24, 10:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 10:07 pm)

Subject: SSS Render Quirk

rainfrey ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2013 at 4:52 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 8:40 PM

When I add subsurface skin nodes to V4 and render FF with 3 rays, the effects are obvious. But the SSS checkbox in the render setting dialog does not seem to make any difference. FF renders the same whether SSS is checked or not.  Either way the scatter effects are visible. Any ideas?

BTW, the IDL checkbox works as it should, it's just the SSS that does not.

~ R

Come by and say "hello!"
http://rainer.us

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2013 at 6:40 PM
Online Now!

Which Poser version are you experiencing the problem?  And did you open a ticket with SM?

rainfrey ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2013 at 7:14 PM

Thanx for the reply . . . I thought I was in the PP 2014 area, sorry 'bout that.

Version PP 2014 10.01.1.25099 SR1

No, have not contacted SM yet. Thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong and another forum member might spot it. It's not really a problem since the SSS nodes do work, it's just that whenever something does not work the way it should I raise questions.

According to the Poser reference PDF SSS should not work at all if it is not checked in the render settings. But that's not what's happening.

Come by and say "hello!"

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 25 June 2013 at 5:22 AM

When you remove the SSS checkmark in the render settings?
Does the SSS render pass still happen?

I always render with IDL and then :

• First pass is the IDL pre calc (mostly dark with red dots)
  • Second pass is the SSS pre calc (mostly white)
  • Final pass is the final render. => final result

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

rainfrey ( ) posted Tue, 25 June 2013 at 5:55 AM

Thanks for the note.

No, the sss render pass doesn't happen with check mark removed -- but -- the visual result in the render is identical. The sss effect is obvious in the image even though sss is not checked. I'm sure I'm doing something goofy but can't figure out what. 

I created subsurface skin nodes using the handy wacro in the material room and attached them to each of V4's body texture groups. The effect was immediately noticeable upon rendering.

Maybe I  just need to go back through the manual again more carefully and see if I am missing something. I have experimented with sss in the past but it was always too slow to justify the results. With my latest computer and PP 2014, the effect is both more appealing and takes less time, so I'd like to try working with it.

~ R

ps. The IDL pre-render pass does happen as expected but only when the IDL box is checked.

Come by and say "hello!"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.