Thu, Sep 19, 6:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: Light View?

Rockmongrels ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2013 at 5:20 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 6:46 PM

I just swiched from DAZ to poser. Is there a way to look through light for adjusting parameters, also are the any guide lines to show falloff, and spread angle? Guide lines in Camera also would help in focal lenght, DOF, & VOV, this should be a must have in Poser. I'd swich back to DAZ, but the renders are much better in Poser

-Thanks

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think atenuation in  the properties tab for each light has to do with fall-off

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

JimTS ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2013 at 6:58 PM

Each light has a Shadow Cam

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

Rockmongrels ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2013 at 8:04 PM

I'll turn on shadow cam on the light and see how that works.

-Thanks

Lyoness ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 2:02 AM

the simple answer is no.

when I  moved from daz to poser, I wished for the same thing, but it doesn't exist in the incarnation that you are asking for.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 3:54 AM

file_495848.jpg

Focal Distance guide is turned on by going to Display, Guides. There is also a handy script to calculate it for you. Using the camera you're going to use and selecting the object you want, then hit the python window scripts (found in render I/O, then Calc DOF or something like that.) But it returns the value in feet. So if your not using poser units of feet make sure you convert it to whatever poser unit you're using. Then enter the value into camera properties.

You should be able to see the spread angle of the light in the preview window, not sure why you don't. Maybe if you turn off the other lights, it might be more visible. To see how much light is hitting a target I suggest BB's Free light meter. A fantastic tool, don't know what I'd do with out it. (search these forums for info).

I have also seen in some DS tutorials they say you can't see shadows in the poser preview window, I can, so maybe it has to do with video card or maybe the person doesn't use poser,I don't know. Included a picture of shadows in the preview window.

Hope this made sense, it's late here and I should have went to bed instead of posting.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 7:09 AM

Which Poser version? The OpenGL preview is improved in each version, and PP2014 (dunno about P10) also has a Firefly preview window for checking out something like light and other effects. A bit slow, but faster than a render.

You can check any shadow mapped light with its shadow cam. but AFAIK, that won't work for raytraced lights. Still, it can be used before switching the light to raytraced I guess. And IMO one should always use raytraced shadows. They just look better.

(one exception might be animation where using shadow maps ought to give a faster render)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 9:17 AM · edited Fri, 05 July 2013 at 9:19 AM

Attached Link: "Poser's Lights" tutorial compliments of Dr Geep Studios

file_495852.gif

*(click image to view full size)* *(click the link above the image to view the complete tutorial) (click the link and then scroll down to view all the pages) *

Maybe something in this tut could help. 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Rockmongrels ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 9:25 AM

Awesome Thanks!

raven ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 2:03 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/Advanced-Lights-and-Camera-Guides.html

There is a script (for purchase) by Semidieu at RuntimeDNA that shows guides for lights and cameras.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 3:00 PM

GEEP! I was just thinking of you yestereday!

Good to see you're still around :D

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

geep ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 8:39 PM · edited Fri, 05 July 2013 at 8:41 PM

Quote - GEEP! I was just thinking of you yestereday!

Good to see you're still around :D

" ... a round ...?" :huh: Uh, thanks ... I was worried that some might consider me to be square. :lol:

cheers,
dr (bobby) geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2013 at 2:57 PM

As long as you're in good shape ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.