Sun, Oct 6, 9:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Paging Mr Sam Therapy ....

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 10:27 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:20 AM

file_497517.jpg

Thought you might like to know that yesterday afternoon this image, yes thats your Dalek there...

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 10:27 AM

file_497518.jpg

...was roughly 6-8 feet away from this very famous image...

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 10:28 AM

file_497519.jpg

...in this world famous modern art gallery and was seen by loads of people, including some folks from the Royal Academy!

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 10:29 AM

It was there because the "Outside In" art group runs a community programme where year "outsider" artists get the chance to display their work in an assortment of art gallery's and other locations. In this case the event was held at Pallant House, akin to the Tate, in modern art collections. On hearing about the programme, I submitted this piece and the lovely gallery people kindly showed it and allowed me to talk for few minutes about the concepts of hyper-reality images and digital art.

dnstuefloten ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 11:22 AM

Very nice. Congratulations!

Poser Pro 2014

My personal website: Novels, photos, video, sculptures and more
Evidence of a Lost City: An animated movie and novel, in progress
Hag: A novel and live-action movie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 11:44 AM

Wow!  That's amazing.  I'm very flattered you used my model.  Thank you for letting me - and everyone else - see it.

Damn good image, too.  

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

vitachick ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 12:37 PM

Excellant and congrats!!

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 5:34 PM

That is a sweet image Mr. Sparky - HDRI lighting? Is that Davros sneaking out of the adult bookstore in the background?

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 6:04 PM

Mr Sparky - May I post the image over at Project Dalek?

My Store

My Gallery

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2013 at 9:20 PM

Sam - sure thats fine. Do you want a higher res version ? Lmckenzie - LOl. Yea thats HDRI. Thanks everyone - though real credit must go to the folks at "Outside In" for allowing artists like us into their show. Especially at a location like this. Whats more amazing is the ethos, theres a real sense of community and how welcoming they are. Theres no bias or nastiness. It's like what the poserverse used to be like. I'm not sure but I think they might be UK nationwide now, someone did mention it's part of "Open Art". Many gallery's also run community programmes as well, often for artists considered as "outsiders" either through health, wealth and even sometimes genre or medium. So if you ask at your local gallery there might be something similar going on.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 23 August 2013 at 3:00 AM · edited Fri, 23 August 2013 at 3:00 AM

Congrats to MrSparky ,SamTherapy .Very Cool 😄

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 23 August 2013 at 4:27 AM

Congratulations all round. I applaud both the gallery's concept, and also the idea of including the gallery itself in the artwork. Self-referential paradox, anybody? :)

It looks to me as if the Dalek is becoming attracted to the parked car that the photographer is hiding behind. :D  

mrsparky ( ) posted Fri, 23 August 2013 at 8:54 AM

Self-referential paradox, anybody? :) More like visual reinforcement :) For part of my bit I wanted to show that digital art is the most "modern" form of art, so decided to run with an example of hyper-reality. Chose that as it's both an extension of the modern art school of photo realism and demonstrates how digital art is demographic. Both on a technical level (you don't need to be able to draw) plus as in a lot of modern art, it can re-use "found" objects. Also wanted to touch on the Uncanny Valley effect and one way of overcoming that, and increasing believability, is to use something the viewer already accepts. So what better than the building you've just walked into :) Afterwards it was also interesting to learn 2 things. Because of how we build scenes, Poser art can fit a genre/technique called "assemblage". Plus Dalek's also fit well into modern art, falling into a school called "Biomechanical", as practiced by Geiger, Epstien, Paolozzi and Dali. Which was nice to discover.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 23 August 2013 at 9:07 AM

It sounds fascinating, and I'll have to see if I can work in a visit to that gallery next time I'm down that way. I like their thinking.

Another way of avoiding the uncanny valley is to render Daleks, as I'm sure Sam would point out. :)

Yeah, ignore the self referential paradox thing. That was a prime example of the art genre known colloquially as 'engaging your mouth before your brain is in gear'. :D  

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 23 August 2013 at 11:35 AM

Thank you, Mr Sparky!  A higher res version would be great for me own vanity but Project Dalek have pretty stringent rules regarding image sizes so I'll use the one you posted here.

As for Biomechanical, I've long toyed with the idea of making a Gigeresque Dalek but as yet, haven't done much of consequence.

The Poserverse can be friendly and inclusive; you just have to ignore the background noise.  ;)

I may just make a few enquiries at local galleries.  Sheffield has a good reputation for exhibiting local artists, so there may be an opportunity.

@ Bob - Yep, there's little or no reality conflict with rendering a Dalek Travel Machine.  I guess the nearest approach to the Uncanny Valley is the choice of materials and the correctness thereof.  That's something easily addressed by using Baggins Bill's materials, though.  :D

My Store

My Gallery

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2013 at 2:18 PM

EnglishBob...if you're ever down this way - I'll stand you a cuppa :) Another way of avoiding the uncanny valley is to render Daleks, as I'm sure Sam would point out. :) Or anything else without skin or fur :) Yeah, ignore the self referential paradox thing No. probs - knew you where kidding. Sam... ------------------------ Thanks! The Poserverse can be friendly and inclusive; you just have to ignore the background noise. ;) I like background noise - it's the loud b*ggers that get me :) I may just make a few enquiries at local galleries.... Do you ever visit Leeds - the central gallery there used to be good for community stuff. Well was years ago when we did playschemes in town, hard to say now since the conservanazis got back in. Probably too far out for you, but the MOSI in Manchester is also really good. Dunno about the main musuem, but most of the chaps who run the steam train and engineering hall are volunteers. So guess the rest would be. Not sure about Tate North and M.O.L. over in Liverpool, but I hear theres digital installations in both, especially the M.O.L. ---------------------- ...Dalek Travel Machine....correctness thereof.... In one of the 70/80's Dr who comics or annuals there was such a machine. Basically a dalek base with hand rails around it, the front section was open with a control box on one side. BTW - talking of Who. BBC on Monday is showing the Dr Who proms.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2013 at 4:57 PM

I don't get about much these days.  Lack of funds and two extremely loud and lively children tend to put a damper on things.  :)

Manchester ain't too far away, in fact it's as easy - or awkward - to get to as Leeds.  

The device you mention sounds like the Hovabout.  Mechmaster has one or two in his Second Empire graphic novel, plus a model of one at his site.  The Dalek fraternity have long bemoaned their non-appearance in the TV show.  Many fans would have preferred to have them, rather than the current version's flying ability.  

My Store

My Gallery

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2013 at 1:53 PM

Great dalek render Monsieur Sparky!

I've seen at least one Hovabout model at Project Dalek...

Personally I like the fact the NSDs hover / fly... I think it makes them more menacing.

Although as a kid, their lack of flight cemented the notion of their tank-like nature.

There should most definitely be a proper real-world venue exhibition of Dalek fan-art somewhere!!

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2013 at 7:11 PM

I don't get about much these days. Lack of funds and two extremely loud and lively children tend to put a damper on things. :) Now the feeling :( since changing jobs to carer - the hourly rate is equivalent to 25p an hour! Which actually makes the average poser content creator rate - £1.38 an hour - look positively minted! :) Manchester ain't too far away, in fact it's as easy - or awkward - to get to as Leeds. Good point. Especially from somewhere like MeadowHall. The device you mention sounds like the Hovabout.... Yea might be that. .... Thanks MC. There should most definitely be a proper real-world venue exhibition of Dalek fan-art somewhere!! Well there used to be Dr Who expos at Longleat and Blackpool. In Blackpool few years back, found it had been exterminated, did find a sf shop with a few props from the expo. Though the staff had Sontarian style customer service, so didn't stay long. Found another store, just behind the main promenade area, better prices great people and an amazing range of Anderson stuff.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 3:47 AM

Quote - Though the staff had Sontaran style customer service, so didn't stay long.

Did you try hitting them on the backs of their necks? :D

There was a Doctor Who exhibition in the old Dapol factory in Llangollen, but that was also exterminated around the time that DW was revived by the BBC*. Literally exterminated - when we went there was nothing but a pile of rubble.

*Not trying to imply a conspiracy, here. The BBC might have me exterminated too... A friend who lives in Llangollen told me it was an unfortunate coincidence.  

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 12:14 PM

You buggers could always join Project Dalek and check the announcement forum for news of upcoming events, shows, trundles and so forth.  There's a large and lively community here and abroad.  One group put on a big show every year or so, and I believe they've done their own version of the Time War at the Magna Centre, in Rotherham.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.