Tue, Oct 22, 6:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Video game character likenesses

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 5:42 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:34 AM

Are there any of these out there? I know there's a decent collection of real people (celebrity) likenesses out there, but are there any of video game characters?

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 6:08 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2013 at 6:09 PM

Well, they don't get made because it's sorta copyright infringement. LOL

Celebrity likenessess - a gray area, but video game models are copyright infringement for sure. And even celebrities can sue if you copy their likenesses.

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 6:13 PM

A few people have run afoul of copyright and trademarks.  I seem to remember a Lara Croft Tombraider character which got pulled from the store.

Do you have specific characters or games in mind ?

Coleman ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 7:20 PM

The forender site does it a lot. I saw a bunch of cool stuff there, then friends of mine who play video games warned me most of it was copyrighted. I'm not knocking forender... their models are superb looking. Just, it'd be risky using them in commercial art.

DarwinsMishap ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 6:42 AM

I've done a morph off of Mass Effect's characters, but no skin textures or anything else; the likeness was close enough but also different enough not to be an exact duplicate.  It helps if you want one of those, to use an actual person as a reference.  Unconciously you'll also add characteristics into it that take the model not just past the copyright infringement area, but a bit more believeable as well.

Not to mention the morph wasn't a saleable item, and I've never made money off of it in any art print either.

kalrua ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:09 AM

Quote - The forender site does it a lot. I saw a bunch of cool stuff there, then friends of mine who play video games warned me most of it was copyrighted. I'm not knocking forender... their models are superb looking. Just, it'd be risky using them in commercial art.

Warning several of these models are rip game: crysis2,3, section 8, skyrim, hunted demon forge, tribes,  stacraft 2,  unigine, etc

It uses a loophole in Russian law.

Ask yourself why it is output Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/npw-06/78348

I was shocked on forender: "drawcall_****"(signing of 3dripper dx), unsuited to the specular shader texture (green specularite mass effect on the model), multiple traces in many of the different ripper file structures, etc. And besides, they are poorly translated.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:11 AM

They got rid of WarTech a long time ago when they found out he was ripping game meshes. If you'll notice, that item is unavailable.

Laurie

kalrua ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:30 AM

Quote - They got rid of WarTech a long time ago when they found out he was ripping game meshes. If you'll notice, that item is unavailable.

Laurie

Forender IS WarTech.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:44 AM

Ah, I see...

Then, I'd steer clear. LOL

Laurie

Zaarin ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 10:29 PM

Quote - > Quote - The forender site does it a lot. I saw a bunch of cool stuff there, then friends of mine who play video games warned me most of it was copyrighted. I'm not knocking forender... their models are superb looking. Just, it'd be risky using them in commercial art.

Warning several of these models are rip game: crysis2,3, section 8, skyrim, hunted demon forge, tribes,  stacraft 2,  unigine, etc

It uses a loophole in Russian law.

Ask yourself why it is output Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/npw-06/78348

I was shocked on forender: "drawcall_****"(signing of 3dripper dx), unsuited to the specular shader texture (green specularite mass effect on the model), multiple traces in many of the different ripper file structures, etc. And besides, they are poorly translated.

Mass Effect 3, as well.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.