Thu, Sep 19, 8:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:34 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: .mdd, anm, pc2 to web friendly

kimbersue ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2013 at 7:33 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 8:04 PM

Hi, I can export animation in one of these files types .mdd, anm, pc2 .  Any idea how to convert them to be viewed on a web page?  Or can how can I import them into poser 2012?

They are exported from marvelous designer 3.

Thank you

3D Artist Network  by Imaginative 3D: Where the “i” in “imaginative” stands for the individual” 3D artists showing off their creative designs.

staigermanus ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2013 at 9:47 PM · edited Wed, 25 September 2013 at 9:47 PM

Designer 3, what program is that?

It should have rendering to still images, or some video formats like mp4, avi, quicktime...

what animation does it do?

What are you trying to show, an animation?

-Philip

latest video on Carrara + Dogwaffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGttXHarzaQ

kimbersue ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 7:50 AM

Hi, the software is http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/  my clients want to put animation for this program direction on his web page which you think would be easy enough but the file export format only work in other software which I don't have. Maya ,3ds Max and I'm trying to find a way to convert or import then so I can put them online.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
Kimberly

3D Artist Network  by Imaginative 3D: Where the “i” in “imaginative” stands for the individual” 3D artists showing off their creative designs.

staigermanus ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 8:31 AM

Looking at the features between Basic and Advanced versions on http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/marvelousdesigner/pricing/

it shows indeed advanced exports for the hgh end professional tools are those you mentioned, but there are other exports, also included in Basic, such as OBJ with material (MTL), you can import that in many 3D programs. What 3D tools do you have?

Lookls like Collada is Import only. I guess that's so you can import your character and fit it with the designs made in this program. You want to go the other way, i.e. export the the designed clothing and fit them on someone in another animation proram, to then do an animation of the character wearing it, right?

I'd think you should be able to do tht with OBJ/MTL.

staigermanus ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 9:09 AM

I just installed thr 15-day Trial and yep you can export OBJ. It even exports the human character. Nice way to get a free human figure :-)

Anyway, the OBJ export is good IMHO, imported just fine into Carrara

kimbersue ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 9:23 AM

I'll work on importing the .mlt.  I'm very new to animation and this helps.  I have  daz, poser 2012 and I just installed blender to see how an import work in it.  Thank  you

staigermanus ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 9:32 AM · edited Thu, 26 September 2013 at 9:34 AM

Blender is great for it is free and it's a do-it-all solution but I've always found it difficult to pick up and just do stuff with it, until I learned a few tutorials. I find Carrara easier to start with, especially if you already have Poser and see the similarity in user interfaces. They came from the same developers at one time long ago.

Here's a few Blender resources I have colelcted. www.thebest3d.com/blender

Perhaps this helps.

Carrara Pro 8.5 is what I currently use. I'm no pro at character animation though. What is it you need, just fly around and view/inspect the clothing on the person, or have the person walk and run and behave in her/his natural setting like in the real world, wearing these designs?

In other words, what type of animation?

staigermanus ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 10:37 AM

I'm going to place a few samples of stuff done quickly with MD3 exported to OBJ and imported to Carrara.

Look in the MD3 playlist on www.youtube.com/pdhowler

In fact here's my very first (yay)

http://youtu.be/YKejJXB26iQ

staigermanus ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 11:00 AM

I like MD3.

just 2 clips in there right now, more to come.

Here's the playlist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKejJXB26iQ&list=PLBqbdhU5umbd6Gc_MxA3va7xcuBi-EDYo

kimbersue ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2013 at 11:01 AM

I'd had a Carrara trial and love it but I can't afford it right now so I have to go with a freebies. 

On blender it says you need plug-in to import mdd so I'm looking for this.

My "REAL" problems is I'm trying to get this client who wants their catigloge done in MD3 so they can change texture quickly and then run a MD runway animation for their web page. But MD 3 will not export a simple movie and if I don't find a way to do this then I'll lose this big order. 

I have no idea what to tell this them. I've looked for two days for a simple converter I could have them run but I can't find one. 

Thanks for letting me vent and all the help.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 8:59 AM

One thing I didn't quite understand.... if you create the runway (a walk sequence?) in MD3, can't you also render it there?

Do you already have files in those formats that were given to you or are they asking you to create those files in the first place?

You could perhaps find another program that can also load some of these frmats, if you really must work with these formats. Perhaps Cinema4D has imports capabilities for those or some of those?

Are they looking for a solution that dynamically lets the web visitor pick a different design and see the walk sequence re-play in realtime with the changes? That's very different from using any tool to render an animation out as a video file (avi, mp4, quicktime,...whatever format) and then loading it to the website or embedding it from youtube or similar places. You might want to clarify exactly wat they are looking for as deliverable.

kimbersue ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 9:38 AM

Quote - One thing I didn't quite understand.... if you create the runway (a walk sequence?) in MD3, can't you also render it there?

Do you already have files in those formats that were given to you or are they asking you to create those files in the first place?

You could perhaps find another program that can also load some of these frmats, if you really must work with these formats. Perhaps Cinema4D has imports capabilities for those or some of those?

Are they looking for a solution that dynamically lets the web visitor pick a different design and see the walk sequence re-play in realtime with the changes? That's very different from using any tool to render an animation out as a video file (avi, mp4, quicktime,...whatever format) and then loading it to the website or embedding it from youtube or similar places. You might want to clarify exactly wat they are looking for as deliverable. 

I record the animation in MD3 which I can replay in real time in MD3. It looks just how I want it to look. I can only export and save as in set formats. None of these formats can be viewed on the internet as a real time movie.  I want to convert the MD3 format or format it lets me export as avi, wp4, quicktime, etc...any thing that lets me make a real time movie.  I've been trying to open the maya in blender but no luck. I've spend hour searching for coverter with no luck. I can't figure out how to open a .mdd or .mtl in daz.

I reinstall my sony video studio and going to see how good of a screen shot I can get of the runway animation.

I wanted to put a runway video on my web page http://imaginative3d.com/ plus I have a couple of clients who want to put runway movies on their web page also.

Honestly I think this is a no win problem and a screenshot it my only option or do my animation in another program. But thanks for your help

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 9:48 AM

ok, now I understand. you're looking for a way to play the animation directly from the exported animation file.

I don't know if the realtime 3D viewers have evolved to the point where it makes sense, when the trend is to move away from proprietary plugins and have it all standard in HTML5, built in the browser to have the ability to view it directly. But you're asking for the impossible, I mean MD3 has Wind and other capabilities.

I think you need to render it to a video and let them enjoy that. That's already much beter than a still image.

You can embed a video.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 10:10 AM

perhaps there are viewers from the gaming industry that can play these files. I'd look there, game engines that are popular may have also developed a plugin for some browsers. The problem is that many of these won't work on a number of browsers, or platforms like some popular tablets. Everything is going for mobile.

web3D viewers,.... maybe there's something under development or already available as part of html5, or a Java based viewer, you'd hope that almost all browsers would have the ability to accept an additional player installation that's Java based, but there too it's an assumption.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 10:20 AM

do a Google search for web3d player, you'll find Unity and others from the game industry.

http://unity3d.com/webplayer

Some of these might have the ability to play your formats.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 10:22 AM

do you have a sample file with a short animation sequence that you can share? I'd love to see it in all those formats, in fact, to see if there are importers for Carrara Pro or other tools that can handle it.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 10:29 AM

Here's a demo usingthe Unity3D player. Works nicely in my Firefox on Windows 8.

http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/live-demos#character-customization

You will need the Unity player installed in the browser. Did't take long.

The question now is wether Unity player can easily play your animation files.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 11:32 AM · edited Sat, 28 September 2013 at 11:33 AM

by the way I like http://imaginative3d.com/  -  very cool

I'm learning how to add your own textures from Dogwaffle back into MD3. Super fun. Works well also with PNG that have transparency.

kimbersue ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 5:42 PM

Quote - do a Google search for web3d player, you'll find Unity and others from the game industry.

This is interesting and sends me on a whole new thought pattern on this. Honestly, my possible client is not very realistic about what can and can't be done. He wants to run his own animation in MD3 after I design his clothing and why I was looking for a simple way to convert it. If he let me do it then I would do the animation in another program all together.

However this really has me thinking of embeding a 3d OBJ veiwer in my store. I'm working one a new set of obj's to sell as starter kits.

Thank you so much for your help

kimbersue ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quote - by the way I like http://imaginative3d.com/  -  very cool

I'm learning how to add your own textures from Dogwaffle back into MD3. Super fun. Works well also with PNG that have transparency.

If you ever want to come a board as a vendor, give me a yell. I'm trying to fill a gap in the market of products you won't normal find in other places. I have a couple MD designer who are start to sell stuff and I'm working on 3D clothing but selling them as OBJ file as clothing starter kits for people who want to sell their own clothing but skip the modeling stage.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 5:53 PM

Quote - > Quote - do a Google search for web3d player, you'll find Unity and others from the game industry.

This is interesting and sends me on a whole new thought pattern on this. Honestly, my possible client is not very realistic about what can and can't be done. He wants to run his own animation in MD3 after I design his clothing and why I was looking for a simple way to convert it. If he let me do it then I would do the animation in another program all together.

However this really has me thinking of embeding a 3d OBJ veiwer in my store. I'm working one a new set of obj's to sell as starter kits.

Thank you so much for your help

There are likely a bunch more viewers available that will use a static OBJ with materials, or certainly VRML1/VRML2 files. Yes, that should allow to give the user a more interactive experience than a pre-rendered video or 3D view. There are 3D viewers that can work from a single large image or image sequence, similar to Quicktime3D. There may be some that are standards based to the point that most browsers may load and run them well enough. Look under web3d.org or similar resources.

If you want to incorporate a more sophisticated walk sequence though, that's where a game engine that is well tuned to work with 3DS Max or Maya in the first place could work the magic. Wth any luck, there's a viewer that just loads your file and playes it.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 6:10 PM

Here's one from Google, and because it's from the big G I'd say it might have a future. In theory.

https://code.google.com/p/jsc3d/

More interesting options here:

http://www.html5code.com/gallery/javascript-3d-model-viewer/

and there are many more.

the trick is to find something that will do what you need and that will easily play on mobile platforms too, and stay around for years to come.

staigermanus ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2013 at 6:11 PM

This one has md2 viewing capability:

http://jsc3d.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/jsc3d/demos/md2viewer.html

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.