Mon, Sep 16, 11:15 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Converting a poser dynamic prop to daz Studio 4.6 - question

efgnow ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2013 at 4:31 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 11:14 PM

Not sure if dynamic prop is the correct term for a Poser prop with moving parts,

but, I got a product, Smay's Gnome House, that only partially loads in Daz Studio 4.6.

The parts that don't load all have moving parts that show up in Scene tab, but in the viewport all that shows up are white, bounding box sort of lines. All static parts show up and render fine.
The artist/vender terse response to an inquiry stated that it's an older model, but moving it into Poser 6 could somehow fix things.

I picked up Poser 9 on sale, but have no idea what to do with this model once it is loaded into Poser. Is it an export-as action, or a changed file type, or...?
Is there a way to get a Poser designed prop with moving parts to show up in Studio?

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2013 at 7:12 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2013 at 7:19 PM

Its a set of props according to the readme file. There do not seem to be enough obj files for all the props listed, that may mean some props have embedded geometry. I dont know how Daz studio handles that.

in poser if there is a problem with the geometry file you get sometimes the bounding box thing.

first thing is to find out if its  a figure or a set of props.

I would try loading each prop individually to see which ones dont load properly. You can use geomstripper (in freestuff) to extract embedded geometries. Edit the pp2 file to point to the right obj file.

efgnow ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2013 at 10:42 AM

Thanks. I'm totally new to Poser, and haven't figured out the most basic things, like how to tell what type of model it is, prop or figure, or how to export it as something else, like cr2.

Messing with it last night, the house interior and pot, both with moveable parts, load perfectly in Poser 9, but only save as scene files, or export as obj's. I had to go into the obj file to find the textures it was looking for, but that did work. Now I have the models in Studio, fully textured but static, no moving parts.

The work-around I chose was to manipulate the moving parts in Poser, then export the model. It gets me the posed part I want for a given Studio render, but will have to be done every time I need to make a slight positioning change. Not optimal, besides I want to learn how to get the whole model to work in Studio.

Can I get a model to export as a Cr2? That format works well in Studio, and if I understand, brings other info with it, perhaps like movement info?

Thanks also for the tip on geomstripper. I'll try that.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2013 at 1:58 PM

The model appears to be a set of parented pprops, This can be confirmed in poser by either using the pulldown selector, chose props , and read the list, or by opening the heirarchy editor from the windos menu in Poser.

you can select and export each prop individually , for asembly in 3dsmax or you can check in max after export from poser and selecting the export optuons that retain existing groups.

you can create a figure from the parented prop groups but that wont get you a rigged obj for export and you would ned to adjust the rigging in poser 

In Poser 7 you can yell what the item is by what library its in. Figures are in figures, props are in props.

efgnow ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2013 at 2:07 PM

Thank you, markschum,

It's Daz Studio I'm working in, not 3dsmax, but, either way I appreciate your input, and am looking forward to working through these things, and learning as I go. Your info is a great help!

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2013 at 3:31 PM

Try loading into Poser, then save the wholes cene (File>Save, should give you a PZ3 file) then use File>Import in DS to load it. That should give you the moving arts, unless there's something in the OBJ files that DS doesn't like.

efgnow ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2013 at 3:38 PM

Thanks, Richard,

Question: How to import a scene? I've only ever imported obj's. Is it to pull the scene file (pz3, I think, is the format that defaults from save-as,) into the Studio Scene folder?

I'll explore.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2013 at 3:45 PM

Just use File>Import, make sure the file type at the bottom is set to all or Poser scene files (Pz3), and browse to the folder you saved to.

efgnow ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2013 at 10:00 AM

file_498669.jpg

Worked like a charm. Thanks, Richard and markschum, for the help.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2013 at 2:55 PM

Glad to help.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.