Wed, Sep 18, 11:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: How did you start buying content?

samcclung65 ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 8:37 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:31 PM

I'm going to try to not buy any content for awhile due to finacial reasons.  This got me thinking about how I started buying it in the first place.

I originally bought Poser to help me work out anatomical perspective in my drawings. I downloaded some free stuff and started doing some simple renders, just playing around. I entered a render contest and got second place. The prize was a Zygote (pre-DAZ) gift certificate, so I bought Vicky 1. Of course she then needed clothes, etc., and I've been buying stuff ever since.

How about you?

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 8:40 AM · edited Sat, 19 October 2013 at 8:42 AM

I bought Poser because I was a Vue 2 user(or 3..can't remember which at the time) and wanted people and animals for my scenes. Poser kinda took over. LOL

Laurie

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 9:55 AM

Same as Laurie, only I started with Bryce instead of Vue. but I got Poser so I could populate my scenes.

Buying came much later. At the beginning I didn't have a credit card, so I could only marvel at the things for sale. Then I started modeling myself and finally made a product I could sell. This generate money I could use to buy other things with :)

To this date, I still use mostly "Poser-generated" money to buy Poser stuff, because my "ordinary" budget isn't made for that either. But I'm lucky to have found a hobby that can largely pay for itself

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

grichter ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 12:51 PM

At the time I was taking photographs and running then thru photoshop using an AVKIS plugin to add effects and make them look like colored charcoal drawn images. At the time the detail of the final image wasn't that important for the friend I was doing this for. Then he sent me an image somebody had rendered of V2 in a pose and or scene more appropriate to what he wanted for a story he was going to use it in. I downloaded whatever the current version of Daz Studio was at the time and it crashed and crashed and crashed and when it didn't the interface was impossible to figure out. So I gave up and went back to my Photoshop routine.

Then just before V4 came out he sent me image of V3 this time and pointed me to this website and more importantly this forum and thread that compared Poser 6 (I believe was the verison at the time) to Daz Studio. I ordered a boxed version of Poser at the time and after a zillion mistakes (like not understanding that V2 came with no texture sets :laugh:) the rest is history other then to say my renders still look like crap at times.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 2:02 PM

I had purchased Poser 4, but did not see the need for people and animals, so I did not use it or buy content.

I had bought Bryce then went to Vue and saw the need to use Poser for different things, sometimes conversions and needed other elements that I could not create myself. My first purchase from Daz which of course was Vicki 2 because Posette was, well not enough.

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 2:14 PM

I started purchasing content when I realized what came with Poser wasn't enough. 

You can get hooked on buying stuff for it though.  I started with the V4 and M4s and went down hill from there, LOL. 

Poser Pro 2012/3DS Max 2013/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Zbrush/

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 3:46 PM

illness forced early retirement :-(

could no longer play on the gorgous confusers they had or afford the software they ran!!

found bryce then poser then wings/hex/any demo I could get

then I slipped up an fell into blender rofl only pop out to breathe

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 4:08 PM

It all started with the Poser 4 demo back in 2004. I had a few ideas for an animation I wanted to try.

But since Poser 5 was already announced, I held off buying Poser until it came out. I'm probably one of the first P5 users.

Then I got hooked on dynamic cloth. Started modeling my own and wanted to figure out how others made them. So that was my first Poser content purchase - HMann's dynamic clothing pack for V2, V3 and Judy.

Which lead to buying V2 and V3.

Which lead to buying content, mostly for V3, and later M3 and V4

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

DustRider ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 5:59 PM

Like others, I got Poser so I could have human figures in other software, and I thoght I'd like to do some animation (which I haven't). I got V3 for free, and held off buying any extra content until a few months after V4 came out. Most of my content I got with the help of vouchers when DAZ had the monthly galleries on their old site. Now, due to lower income and no vouchers, I buy even less content.

I hope to start making a few things for sale to earn a few $$ so I can start buying stuff again - but that requires more free time, and RL seems to take more of my time than it used to.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 6:19 PM

Ihappend across this image by Kozaboro about six years ago and wondered how it was done...

http://digitalbabes.jp/gallery/Lori.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

outa ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 1:16 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2013 at 1:17 PM

I started to buy content cause I wanted to slow my intake of content.Cause my hard drive was filling up with the free stuff. This was around Poser 3 or 4.And way before cheap Gigs. :lol:

WoolyLoach ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2013 at 12:39 PM

At first, it was Daz Studio - I had worked with a lot of 3D artists during my stint as a game developer, but couldn't afford Lightwave.  DS was fun, and look, Vicky! Mike! Props!

Well, Vicky and Mike complained endlessly about being naked, in a temple even (Vicky hung on to the sword, she was worried what Mike might try).  So I had to get clothes, and of course move them out of the temple into a more soothing setting.

Eventually I moved to Poser Pro 2010 and started dabbling in Web comics, so I needed more specialized content, then tried my hand at illustrating my stories and poetry, which meant I needed MORE content, then I got into horror and steampunk...

So here I sit with Poser Pro 2012, Vue 11, and a total of 8 runtimes containing close to 90GB of content!!!  And it's still just a hobby!

Learn from my sad tale! 

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2013 at 1:40 PM

Many, many moons ago, somwhere in a magazine shop, I found a PC magazine with a Poser 1 (one) demo on a 1.44 disk.  Anybody remember those? There was also a voucher to "upgrade to Poser2.

I bought Poser2, and was hooked. Or, ha-ha- should I say "lost".

For a very long time I had limited hobby funds, so I bought no content at all. I just could not.

Then I found some truly simple apps to build stuff myself.
One of those I still use almost every day ; Anim8or. A 3D modeling app. Ha-ha, at the time also on a 1.44 disk.

But when figures started going up and up and up in polycount, neither my funds, nor my PC's could follow.

In the end ? And over the many-many years, I bought a grand total of "read closely",  3 items. And unfortunatly, I regret all 3 of them.

Little one. =>Still the most beautifull face out there.
Loretta
And her male counterpart who's name escapes me now.

Little One had that remarcable face, but being an unwelded mesh, there was no use for her.

Loretta? Perhaps I might dust her off, but the odd poly distribution (required for what she does BTW) limits her use beyond that. And the same goes for her male friend.

So? I build, and make what I need.

Yes, I mostly use Poser figures, but with Blender (and other apps) a mesh is just a mesh and can be morphed into whatever shape we like or need. Every day clothes are that hard to make at all, and with the newer Poser 10 and PP2014 tools, any clothing can fit any figure anyway.

Result: In all those Poser years I bought 3 items, and would not do it again.
Sorry.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 8:45 AM · edited Wed, 23 October 2013 at 8:48 AM

at first i lived on Jessi and James.

then cp forums closed and cast me aimlessly adrift.

drift floated to daz site and saw an Aiko 3 promo for the Ice Princess.  then saw Sylfie.  eventually chalked up the 100 bucks to join pc club to buy the MFD, etc.

i can't remember what brought me to renderosity.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 9:12 AM

file_499035.JPG

first came to renderosity for a character texture set. 😄

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 9:14 AM

I first bought Poser 2 and existed on the legacy clothing that people don't use  nowadays. Then I found freestuff on the internet at places like Poserworld, Fairyworld, and others. then I found DAZ and started downloading their weekly freebies. Eventually I bought Vicki and then clothes for Vicki, and I've been broke ever since. She's more expensive than a real girlfriend, but at least with them there's sex... sometimes. Okay, hardly ever, but at leas the possibility is there.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 10:41 AM

My first purchase was Victoria 1, also - I'd got by on free content for some time, but more and more of the cool stuff was being made for Vicki so I bought her. Things have gone downhill since then. :)

heddheld ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 2:39 PM

Misty I wouldnt dare look at a print out ;-)

why are most of replys from creators/ vendors etc ???

Anim8or !! wow that was a fun program (does it work on win7??)

did seem to be a lot of stuff back then, most seem to be gone now

all fairly easy to learn and lots of fun

wonder what the future will bring ? needing a degree to even think of buying poser? lol

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 3:05 PM

Anim8or does work in Win7 far as I know.

Laurie

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 3:30 PM

anim8or works in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

And? After a long time there are new versions in the making.
Still free, now at version 0.97F

www.anim8or.com

The new version is in the forum

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quote - At first, it was Daz Studio - I had worked with a lot of 3D artists during my stint as a game developer, but couldn't afford Lightwave.  DS was fun, and look, Vicky! Mike! Props!

Well, Vicky and Mike complained endlessly about being naked, in a temple even (Vicky hung on to the sword, she was worried what Mike might try).  So I had to get clothes, and of course move them out of the temple into a more soothing setting.

Eventually I moved to Poser Pro 2010 and started dabbling in Web comics, so I needed more specialized content, then tried my hand at illustrating my stories and poetry, which meant I needed MORE content, then I got into horror and steampunk...

So here I sit with Poser Pro 2012, Vue 11, and a total of 8 runtimes containing close to 90GB of content!!!  And it's still just a hobby!

Learn from my sad tale! 

(Waves at Wooly)

Miss you, Dude! Be well.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

WoolyLoach ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 4:21 PM

Quote - > Quote - At first, it was Daz Studio - I had worked with a lot of 3D artists during my stint as a game developer, but couldn't afford Lightwave.  DS was fun, and look, Vicky! Mike! Props!

Learn from my sad tale! 

(Waves at Wooly)

Miss you, Dude! Be well.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! waves like a lunatic And argh, bought more stuff I might use once. Argh!

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 8:48 PM

I started buying content when I started running out of stuff to use in the prepackaged content (when I finally got over the learning curve!), and I was (and still sort of am) too much of a n00b to make my own content.

pigfish9 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2013 at 2:57 AM

We had Poser 4 at work to try making our own animations for use in PowerPoint and on our televised training broadcasts.  I got Poser 4 Pro cheap for home and Vicki 1 started my fall into the DAZ rabbit hole.  My earliest purchase here is from December 2001.  I think I have an autographed copy of either Poser 5 or 6 for being one of the first 100 purchasers.  I have all the DAZ figures up through the disastrous DSON Genesis 1.  I hate DAZ Studio because I did not like the interface on the early versions and quit trying after they had add ons you had to pay for.  My two favorite things about Poser are dynamic hair and clothing so I'm sticking with Poser. 

I'm happy to say that I was smart enough to buy a lifetime membership to PoserWorld when I first started using Poser.  It seemed like a good deal at the time and has turned out to be a fantastic deal over the years. 

I'm also a sucker for free content and I think I've bought about every new figure that has come out over the years (and then quit using them when they had no skin, hair or clothes available).  I lost a lot of Poser content about five years ago when a virus forced us to reformat our hard drive.  I now have an external drive with 807 gigs of Poser content plus whatever is installed on my hard drive with Poser Pro 2012 and 2014.

Unfortunately, I cannot work anymore because I have nerve damage in both hands with Carpal Tunnel disease.  Using Poser with Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Windows 8.1 and a touch screen monitor is challenging but doable.  If there's a keyboard shortcut, you can write a command with Dragon Pro to do it verbally.   I'm definitely learning patience.  I'm between having no pay because I can't work and waiting for my disability retirement to be approved so I can't support Dawn like I want to.  I hope she hangs in there until I have money again.

leather-guy ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2013 at 2:48 AM

Back before the turn of the Millenium, I bought Poser 1, upgraded to 2, 3, and 4 and played around from time to time.  Then bought the Pro upgrade to 4.  Started to get into it after that.  Bought a couple of misc content CD's from Zygote, including the Mil Woman.  Then I got a full CD of Poser characters from CacheForce/Planet Poser.  Played with those and various freebies until I encountered BBay, then found Zygote had spawned to DAZ3D, and stumbled over Renderosity from something I read at DAZ.  Off and running ever since.  Used to have a pretty well paying complex of jobs, and for a time I was spending $5k and more a year on content (mostly scenes and sets, to tell the truth, 'Tho I did get all the base Gen 1, 2, 3 & 4 figures from DAZ3D and some base textures and enough duds to use in most contexts).  Economy crapped out, 2 of my businesses closed, and now I have to watch my pennies.   92% of my "aquisitions" now are freebies.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2013 at 7:51 PM

Quote - first came to renderosity for a character texture set. 😄

If you are using Nash, Jepes has updated the textures for him.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 1:00 PM

It was a render that got me into Poser.  A render of two Michaels. 

I asked the artist about it, and she told me about Poser.  Which I bought immediately.  (Little did I know that it was about a week before Poser 5 was released, and if I'd bought PP4 from Curious Labs instead of Amazon, I'd have gotten it for something like $50 cheaper.)

So I guess for me, it was content first.  I bought Poser because I wanted to use DAZ's Michael 2.

Back then, I really liked the idea of one figure you could morph to be anyone.  Guess I'd have loved Genesis if it were around back then.

But I've changed my mind now.  IMO, it just looks better if the figure isn't too far from the base. Which means multiple figures to cover the diversity of humanity (never mind critters and such).  Which means buying a lot of stuff, even with WW and texture converters.  ;-)

Magnatude ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 2:15 PM

My first purchase was Anime Doll here on Rendo.

I was planning on doing a Scifi Illustration series with them and my Space-stuff.

I wasn't interested in getting anything else until the Daz v3 figures started becoming freebies.

Carrara 7 Pro, Anime Studio Pro 8, Hexagon 2.5, Zbrush 4.6, trueSpace 7.6, and Corel Draw X3. Manga Studio 4EX, Open Canvas 5, WACOM Cintiq 12WX User

Zaarin ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 9:32 PM

I bought Poser for visual references of characters in my books, but interestingly that was seven years ago and I only just started using it for that purpose in the last six months or so.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2013 at 1:06 AM

I have never made a purchase for anything other than Poser 8, and then 9. I got modeling programs to make stuff myself. I have a long way to go before I can make something I'd sell, but my armor for Miki4 is pretty cool (it's in the freestuff).

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Janl ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2013 at 3:09 AM

I got interested in human figures with Poser 3 but waited until Poser 4 came out before purchasing. I then made do with freebies until Victoria 2 came out. She needed additional things and was quite fussy about what she got. lol

DuckSoupe ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2013 at 3:06 PM

It steam rolled for me. I centered around Viky and Aiko 3. making or getting the scenery was fun and thinking up themes also. I don't need any of the new characters as I have enough for the next millenium.

AetherDream ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 4:37 AM

Initially, I relied on free content, but as I got more serious and learned more about Poser, I realized I would need more. My first purchase was Ariel Hair here at Renderosity.

"People who attempt define what art is or is not, are not artists"---Luminescence

DuckSoupe ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 10:37 AM

I collect all I can of freebies around the web. I wait for a wishlist item to pop up on sale.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.