Fri, Sep 20, 3:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: What is the best and most effective way of getting a Poser character into Blende

Michaelab ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 12:17 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:48 AM

I have Poser 2009 and Blender 2.69 and I need to import Poser characters into Blender so that the characters render in Blender Cycles.

So my question is if this can be done, what is the most effective and efficient way of exporting to Blender from Poser and/or importing from into Blender from Poser?

Is there a script, tutorial or any direction out there that makes this process as painless and seamless as possible?

Thought I'd ask the experts here in the very helpful Poser forum what their experience is first before I spend much more time googling about it.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 12:28 AM
Michaelab ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 1:49 AM

I'm attempting to use the script from teleblender:

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/teleblendforposer
where it says to go here for the poser version:
http://3doutlaw.com/home/?page_id=631&did=17

so then I install the script, import a obj file (character) then run the script but I get an error:

python script fail look in the console for now and highlights this: import mcjMakeCylcesNodes in the code. That script is in the same folder.

I'm not a coder. What needs to be done to make this script work?

Michaelab ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 2:00 AM

file_499371.jpg

shot of code:

ironsoul ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 8:43 AM

Regarding script problem..

Bit of a Blender and Python noob but python documentation states that the interpreter will look in the same folder as the main script for the import files so should work. I've tried the script and whilst it gets past the import section the code fails later on. My suggestion is to raise this in the Blender forum in case its implementation of Python does something strange with the import search path under certain circumstances (I couldn't see your post there so apologies if you've already done this).

One other thought was to open the python console in Blender and then use the import function to load the BlenderBotForCarrara file to see if you get a more meaningful error messsage.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 2:06 PM

Your best bet is going to be to export the entire scene from Poser then totally redo it in Blender. You can do it in pieces, or as a whole scene, the difference being if you want to setup and rig the characters in Blender or just render the scene.

There have been many attempts to write a conversion, and all of them have been abandoned from what I can tell.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Michaelab ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 3:59 PM

shvrdavid, how do you 'redo it' in Blender for Cycles? Is there a tuturorial on how to convert Poser materials to Blender Cycle materials by hand?

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 4:02 PM

You may also want to look into upgrading to 2012 or 2014 for Poser's COLLADA support.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/collada.html

But read up on it first to make sure it does what you're needing. Blender also has COLLADA support, so in theory it should work, but I don't know enough about it to be of much help.

~Shane

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 6:17 PM

It would be best to just manually set the materials up once you have it into Blender.

I have not seen anything that will automate it. The render engines use different texture setups.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 8:54 AM

"Blender also has COLLADA support, so in theory it should work,"

Hmm in my experience... not really.

Blenders collada import will get you an ,untextured unrigged model just as if you had simply exported/imported a static .obj file from poser.

Indeed there may be py scripts floating about that will aid in the collecting and referencing of textures but the reality remains that cycles is really coded to use native blender materials.

getting a poser scene converted over will likely always involve tedious manual application of textures at some point.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.