Mon, Sep 9, 4:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: Max usable video memory in vue 10 ?why default set to 128 with 6gb graphics card

iborg64 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 6:49 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 10:21 PM

Just bought a new pc for 3d rendering(well and gaming too) It has a gforce Titan 6GB graphics card ,which at least makes the view ports fly round in stead of the staggeringly slow movement , or even no movent on heavy scenes that i used to get.However when I go to the options in the box Max usable video memory it has the value 128 I assume thats in MB vue chose that value after the install should I change that to a value closer to the 6GB of RAM the video card actually has? when i tried to change it it will only stay at 1024 though vue does correctly identify the graphics card

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 8:25 AM

You can change the value to 1 gig. Vue won't use more than one gig.

thd777 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 8:36 AM · edited Mon, 11 November 2013 at 8:37 AM

Quote - Just bought a new pc for 3d rendering(well and gaming too) It has a gforce Titan 6GB graphics card ,which at least makes the view ports fly round in stead of the staggeringly slow movement , or even no movent on heavy scenes that i used to get.However when I go to the options in the box Max usable video memory it has the value 128 I assume thats in MB vue chose that value after the install should I change that to a value closer to the 6GB of RAM the video card actually has? when i tried to change it it will only stay at 1024 though vue does correctly identify the graphics card

If your display is fast don't worry about it. :)

Based on the Vue manual : " Max usable video memory: This setting only comes into play when using full quality near the camera. To a lesser degree, it affects the changing to another geometry representation, such as box, wire box, flat shaded or smooth shaded."

The way I read this, is that the setting only applies to specfic situations (for example when using full quality near camera, Vue needs to keep the geometry and textures of those models in the graphics card memory to allow fast rendering via openGL). Outside of those Vue will rely on the driver to allocate graphics memory. This matches what I have seen when using a monitor to see how much memory the graphics card allocates and in general it uses what ever is available (2 Gb in my case).

And yes, the max. value allowed is 1Gb.

Ciao

TD

thd777 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 9:01 AM · edited Mon, 11 November 2013 at 9:03 AM

Quote - This matches what I have seen when using a monitor to see how much memory the graphics card allocates and in general it uses what ever is available (2 Gb in my case).

Just re-read what I wrote and that last sentence was pretty confusing. I should explain better:

I have a 2Gb card. You can use a GPU monitor (for example GPU meter) to see how much GPU memory is used. What I found is that GPU memory is only impacted when you move things around (camera panning etc.). During those times you'll see a spike in GPU memory use that drops back to baseline when you stop moving. In the vast majorty of cases I see only about up to 100 Mb of memory used when Vue is actively drawing to the display. That is with the limit set to 1Gb.

Where graphics cards with lots of memory come in handy is two situations in my experience: multiple monitors and GPU rendering via CUDA. In normal display situations the amount of memory is not as important as the speed of the GPU.

My 2Gb card handles Vue just fine on a two monitor system.

Ciao

TD

iborg64 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 10:42 AM

Ok many thanks for that information

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.