Sun, Oct 6, 3:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / The MarketPlace Wishing Well

Welcome to the The MarketPlace Wishing Well Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

The MarketPlace Wishing Well F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:40 pm)

Have an idea for a MarketPlace product? Would you like to let the MarketPlace Merchants know?
This is the place!

Make sure you check The Product Showcase Forum and The Product Showcase Art Gallery.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Dynamic Jacket

josue_light ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2013 at 2:38 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 3:26 AM

file_499315.jpg

Hi, there!

I've noticed the release of more dynamic clothes within the past six months, and that's great.

I've been looking around for a Dynamic Clothing Leather Motorcycle Jacket. I know there are many 'comformed-clothing' versions avaialble in the RDMA, but I was hoping someone could make a dynamic leather/motorcycle jacket with the collars and all. I attached a photo with a general idea... Or would something like that be too complicated for dynamic clothing? I'm aware there are setting you can apply to dynamic clothes to make them resistant to folding/changing/etc.

I'm basically requesting a dynamic jacket--one can just apply a leather texture to make it a leather jacket. :)

Thanks!

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 2:39 AM · edited Tue, 19 November 2013 at 2:40 AM

For what figure?  And is constraining an deal breaker for you?  All the items I know of that overlap like this use constraining.  But constraining can cause some weird distortion with figure morphs.

josue_light ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 6:40 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I'm hoping for Victoria 4.

Do you mean constraining as conforming? Many of the conforming jackets I have don't look right around the shoulders. I use the Perfect Body morphs (which include morph fixes for Victoria 4's (awful) shoulders). Many conforming clothes have the 'awful' shape of Victoria 4's shoulders. I believe a dynamic jacket will shape and adapt to Victoria's 'fixed' shouldler shapes better. :)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 8:31 AM

No, constrained isn't conforming.  Poser dynamic cloth is kind of unique in that it has five different ways you can define parts of your cloth: dynamic, soft decorated, hard decorated, constrained, and choreographed.  Soft and hard decorations don't quite work like you might expect, but to put it simply they follow the dynamic mesh.  Constrained follows the colliding mesh (usually your figure) exactly. The effect is similar to conforming, but the actual behavior is very different.  Think of it more like dynamic cloth without the dynamics.  It follows poses and morphs, but doesn't wrinkle or respond to gravity.  Choreographed just stays wherever you put it, and won't change with the pose or morph.  If you want to make something that mainly works like a regular smart prop while having a dynamic part, choreographed parts are useful.  An earring with a dangly part, a mask with a veil, that sort of thing. 

Because constrained parts follow the figure mesh exactly, morphs can cause distortions.  Also, they'll follow the mesh exactly, not drape or stretch.  I've made shoes and boots that work great being constrained around the foot.  Thing is, most people don't morph feet much, so that's fine.   If you constrain an area on the lower half of a figure's breasts, and the figure goes from A to DDD with a big crease underneath and between the breasts, the constraned area will duplicate the change and crease in the same places.

That said, the most complex dynamic items I know of use constrained parts for things like the top of pants with belt loops, belts, and buckles.  I've tried to make that combo work  other ways, and it just plain didn't.  Cocco's dress pants just constrain the lot, and everything works together well.  But if I tried to use them on a character with a huge beer belly or a zombie that's almost flesh and bones, my guess is that belt would look awful, especially the buckle.  Considering there's not a huge number of people rendering those types of figures, it's not a huge issue. 

Esha's pareo over at RDNA that goes around the neck and overlaps itself much like that jacket uses constrained groups for the overlapping parts.  I haven't tested it, but it might not work so well on extreme breast morphs. 

That all said, dynamics won't necessarily solve your issue with shoulders.  I know how to address it in dynamic clothes and have done it, but it's also possible to do something similar with conformers.   Defined shoulders in jackets is standard feature of Uzilite's work, found at DAZ3D.  I'm guessing it's hard, because most people don't do it.  Conformers aren't really my thing, so I don't know much about making them.  But I've seen conforming clothes with good shoulders.

Dynamic clothing this complex wouldn't be something I'd recommend to a person who just wanted a jacket with proper shoulders.   Even for an average dynamic top with sleeves, you'd have to be careful about intersections at the shoulder and elbow.  With something as thick and stiff as a leather jacket, it would be even more of a concern.  As in real life, the jacket would somewhat restrain your figure's movements.  And that's before considering the how all those details would behave.  Depending on how you used it and your expectations, getting the performance you want out of it could be difficult or even impossible.  To be happy with it, you'd have to be happy with everything dynamic clothing does, not just happy with the shoulders.

josue_light ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thanks for the explanations.

All of the little details wouldn't be necessary, I guess. At Opitex Dynamic Clothes, they have a freebie fur coat. I like how the top is, but I'm looking for something like that but shorter. Something that's a jacket with lapel/collars. I can just apply a leather texture. The details of the photo I attached would be lovely, but at the basic level, what I am wanting is a dynamic jacket with collors/lapels.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 4:46 PM

Have you used dynamics much before? 

josue_light ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 5:46 PM

I have worked with many of the dynamic clothing products on this web site and followed the included guides.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 6:42 PM

Gotcha.  I just wasn't sure since you didn't know what constrained groups were.  In my experience, most of what frustrates or disappoints people about dynamic clothes is due to expectations that come from using conforming clothes. 

I really like the jacket design, and I'd be interested in making something like that if I could.  I don't know yet how I'd do that central zipper, but it would great if I could.  That said, I've got a queue of items going out about 3 months right now.  If anyone else steps up, that would be fine with me.  Also, there's someone I follow on deviantART who has made a dynamic trenchcoat she offered me once.  I can see if she'd let me edit it to make it shorter and release it as a freebie (with full credit, of course).  She might not be interested, but I can at least check.

josue_light ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2013 at 6:16 PM

That sounds good, thanks! :3

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.