Wed, Sep 18, 1:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: ARGH! Help! updated windows!!!

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:05 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 3:45 AM

OMG last night I was working in poser on a new card design. all was good. did a test render, all good. shut it down and noticed it was updating windows. No prob. let the machine finish and went to bed. popped the puter open this morning, tried to open the file I was working on. Poser got to "prefered state" then "poser executable has stopped working" and it shut down. o.0

so I tried it a few more times...same thing.

I tried to open just poser on its own. same thing happened.

I rebooted the system.

tried again.

same thing.

No matter what I do now poser wont open!

the ONLY change to the system was the windows updates.

HELP!

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:11 AM

What version windows? I'm running Win XP and see there is an update...Won't update if there will be a problem.

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:12 AM

Quote - What version windows? I'm running Win XP and see there is an update...Won't update if there will be a problem.

windows 7 64bit.

Commission open.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:13 AM

Use system restore to roll back the update. The exact details will depend on your Windows version.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:16 AM

Quote - windows 7 64bit.

Ok, clash of the posts. :) It's in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.  

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:42 AM

And then shut down automatic updates, or you will sing the same song tonight, and tomorrow morning. :-(

But perhaps, the pop-up screen will tell us more about what got updated? ?

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

donnena ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:44 AM

It appears to be the IE 11 install that kills Poser. 

;>

Andy!

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:48 AM

ok I did the restore and POOF! poser works again. I did look through the list to see what updates were done. One is for activeX the rest are security and one is for explorer 11 BUT that one is not checked to install on my system. So I do not think it was the explorer 11 that killed poser for me. Maybe the ActiveX one?

Commission open.

dlfurman ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:49 AM

I was going to send M$ a nasty gram, because I also did the IE11/Win 7 update and it set my system back to a default. Thought I lost all my Firefox bookmarks and saved passwords, etc.

A system shutdown, wait a bit, reboot did the trick for me.

Sorry to hear about this, but I understand your frustration.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:51 AM

Attached Link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40722

Hoo boy. Microsoft has a tool at the link that will allow you to disable automatic delivery of IE11. They *really* want you to have it. :(

Hopefully SM will find a way round the problem, if it really is IE11's fault.  

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:58 AM

Where would you install it?

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 7:05 AM

On your Windows 7 system only - although it will probably refuse to install on XP, which won't support anything later than IE8, so you're not in any danger. Not from this source, anyway. ;)

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 7:06 AM

Quote - Hoo boy. Microsoft has a tool at the link that will allow you to disable automatic delivery of IE11. They really want you to have it. :(

Hopefully SM will find a way round the problem, if it really is IE11's fault.  

OK thank you so much! I have done that lil tool. Hopefully I wont have the issue again.

again THANK YOU!!!!

Commission open.

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 7:12 AM

Quote - On your Windows 7 system only - although it will probably refuse to install on XP, which won't support anything later than IE8, so you're not in any danger. Not from this source, anyway. ;)

Thats good news. Now will have to install when I ever turn on my Win7 Comp

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 7:14 AM

I always set Windows Update to download but only install when I say so. I'm a bit of a control freak ;).

Laurie

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 8:57 AM

Jeez.  This sucks.  Why would IE 11 screw up Poser?

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 9:06 AM

I don't understand it fully, but the library uses some IE functions and/or Flash. There were also problems when IE8 came out, I believe.

I dare say that Microsoft have altered something in the way IE works which messes up Poser.  

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 10:34 AM
Online Now!

Can you uninstall IE all together? 

I hate that browser. I use chrome. I haven't uninstalled IE yet but I've been meaning to. It tries to revert my default back to itself every chance it gets. 

~Shane

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 10:42 AM

Attached Link: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser

Let's not jump to conclusions. I believe there's also been a Flash update recently which may be to blame - and anyone who was fed IE11 would have got the latest Flash along with it.

I don't think it's possible to fully uninstall IE, but there are articles around the web telling you how to disable it, at least. However if you use a recent version of Poser that doesn't sound like a good idea.

There are ways to tell Windows which is going to be your default browser - the link has some information on that.  

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 10:55 AM
Online Now!

Hmm. Well so far 2012 and 2014 are still working fine for me. There's an update waiting for when I restart.

Feels rather ominous now. lol.

I had it set for every day at 3am but now it's changed to wait til I decide when to install (thanks Laurie - didn't think about that option). 

~Shane

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 11:18 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-turn-internet-explorer-off

The above doesn't just turn it off as the default browser - it turns it OFF. Other programs that use IE can still use it tho, but you won't see a shortcut and it can't be used as a browser, even if there's no other browser on ur system.

Bliss ;)

Laurie

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 12:16 PM

So...you think SM will be issuing some kind of fix?

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 12:19 PM

OK, I'm not having the same problem, but I am having a problem since updating IE to version 11.

I never do automatic updates, preferring to have Windows notify me of available updates.  That way I can save, close and shut down whatever apps I have open.  That said, I did updates last Tuesday and everything was fine, but yesterday I was notified of the IE 11 update, and even though I don't use IE as my browser, I usually update it . . . just in case.  Now, of course, I'm sorry I did.

My problem is, my Libraries panel in Poser 9 is not loading.  How do you work without your Libraries panel?  You don't.  I had posted at RDNA about this and was given a link to this thread.

Thanks Laurie for the link on How To Turn IE Off.  I haven't tried opening P9 yet today, though I suspect nothing has changed.  I'll be trying English Bob's suggestion of rolling back that update and hope it works.

Wish me luck!

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 12:52 PM · edited Wed, 13 November 2013 at 12:53 PM

I just updated my Windows 7 64 system this morning (however, I did not install IE11) and have had no issues with either PP2012 or 2014.  I do use the external library...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 1:50 PM

I did the automatic install but luckily it did not install the IE 11 update.  My poser was not effected.

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 2:09 PM

Well I'm back to tell you good folks that I read the article Laurie linked to and did the suggested actions to remove IE from my Default Programs list, turned off IE altogether and did a system restore to last week.  I then had about 9 Windows updates to download and install (I don't have it set to do automatic updates), and now I'm a verrrrrrrrrry happy camper at the moment, because . . .

I'VE GOT MY POSER 9 LIBRARIES BACK!!!!!  :-D

Needless to say, I won't be prompted to update IE any time soon.  ;-)

Butterfly Dezignz

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 2:32 PM

Started my system this morning and noticed that it was updating Windows after an update.  All seemed fine then I saw this on the forum and started Poser 2014 (Windows 7 64 bit).

Happy to say all appears well.  The update did not update IE but then I do have the 'Install new vesions automatically unticked' (IE tools - About Internet Explorer). 

I do use Chrome on another system but on my Poser system I am running SSDs and I never found a way to move the Chrome Temp files to a conventional hard drive.  I tried a number of the hacks suggested but none worked.  IE was much easier in this respect so I stayed with it.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 4:12 PM

Quote - Can you uninstall IE all together? 

I hate that browser. I use chrome. I haven't uninstalled IE yet but I've been meaning to. It tries to revert my default back to itself every chance it gets. 

~Shane

Ahhh, if this was only the win 9x days, the answer would be yes. Shane Brooks 98lite was a godsend. I know he -did- have a tool to remove Exploder for XP, but I'm not sure it's available anymore. How good was 98lite? I've been running my dos box on it for....12 years. The same install. 98SE, with IE, Outlook, &scripting host never installed. The desktop was from Win 95, so no active X controls exposed there, and Windows Explorer was also force mated from 95, so no webpage BS. Fast, stable, and damned near bullet proof to about 95% of the script kiddie garbage out there, as nearly all the common vectors simply aren't there. He couldn't decouple from Vista on due to architecture changes.

The biggest lie M$ ever told was that Exploder was -needed- for software to run or install. All the installers look for are a couple of keys at the top of the registry stack; if it sees them, the installer does its thing. You don't get whatever mshtml front panel included, but functionality defaults back to windows basic button contro (That was one of the nice presents Shane gave the community. A desktop download that inserted the one key that 9x software looked for in the stack. Never had anything try and shove Exploder up my hardware after that, and it all worked...

The way they've rigged things today, anyone who managed it would probably have HSO busting their door down......

As far as Windows issues go, the next biggest lie is that all those updates are =needed=. You have a good AV package, a NAS enabled router, and a firewall set up properly, and you don't need most of those updates (and that assumes you have -already- parsed out the localized updates that only apply to regions and languages). Use a non-integrated browser like Chrome, Opera, Firefox, etc and you have even less need for them. If you have a stable install, that runs fast and treats your software right, then turn the bloody win-update feature =OFF= and forget it even exists. Apps that need specific modules, like a particular C++ runtime, will have a distributable package included and do it automatically, if it determines the module doesn't exist. I never updated XP until SP 2, and that was only needed to run certain software; Vista never updated, Win 7 has never updated, and the Win 8 I have on a renderbox has never updated. And so far, no problems.  

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 4:15 PM

Wow.

Only 100 post to go to 3k........ :P  

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 4:25 PM

Well, thanks for the heads up, folks.  I had already downloaded the humongous Windows Update this morning before I saw this thread.  It was waiting for me to approve the restart after installing.  I was going to do it before going to work, but forgot.  When I got home, I ran that tool to block updating IE, then restarted.

IE did not update, all the other updates did, and Poser works fine.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 5:55 PM · edited Wed, 13 November 2013 at 6:00 PM

Going out on a limb here....

If you added 127.0.0.1 to the list of trusted websites in IE11, the library would probably work.

This has happened before in IE updates and version changes.

If that does not work, they may have changed something in the local host resolver, or broken it depending on how you look at it.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2013 at 11:10 PM

Hey David, I haven't used Poser in many years, so had no idea this problem has cropped up before.

Since I don't use IE for anything except emergencies, I thought turning it off was a fine idea.  I've wanted to uninstall it since IE 4 screwed me up forcing me to switch to Netscape 4, and eventually to Firefox.  I've never looked back, but always updated IE when prompted just so I wouldn't keep getting a notification that there was a new update.  Turning it off will mean I won't have to worry about that constant update notification, and that's worth it to me.

Butterfly Dezignz

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 1:23 AM

Hi,

same issue here, after the update, PoserPro2012 (64 bit) / embedded library no longer works, crashes on startup.

I'm backing up my HD now, then will try the suggested workarounds.

It would be interesting to learn about the configurations of the users without issues.

Best regards,

Michael

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 3:09 AM

This sure does sound like the other issue every one else had a few weeks back with the flash that got broken

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 5:22 AM

FWIW...I have Poser on two computers.  On both, I allowed the Flash update but not the IE update.

Updated both computers, and Poser works fine on both.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quote - FWIW...I have Poser on two computers.  On both, I allowed the Flash update but not the IE update. Updated both computers, and Poser works fine on both.

Thanks, that does seem to point the finger at IE11.

I was just talking to the IT guys here at work, curious because IE11 hadn't shown up in my Patch Tuesday updates. They've blocked it for now because it doesn't play nicely with some of our systems, including the one we use for booking holidays. Plainly that needs as close to 100% uptime as we can manage. :)  

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 10:42 AM

Hi,

my box is working again!

I did not run a full restore but rather went to "history" of windows update, selected the IE 11 update, and uninstalled that. After a reboot, it showed "IE 10"  in update history again and now Poser is working again. For safety, I installed ie11blocker as well now ;-).

I haven't used IE anyway.

Best regards,

Michael

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 2:58 PM

Hm my Windows (Win 7 64 bit Home Premium) updated itself last night. Shut down everything I was working on (I HATE when that happens, but otoh I always forget them anual updates, and most of the times they are improving things, not breaking them)

My Poser works as usual. It did shut down my chrome and discarded all my open tabs (I think chrome was updated, too but I'm not sure, it looked a wee bit different, I think) but other than that little inconvenience, everything works. My internet was ungodly slow right after the reboot, but has righted itself, so it was probably my ISP rather than Windows...

So for those having problems, it's not JUST the Windows update or we weould all have the same problem, and well at least I don't :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2013 at 12:29 AM

I run two windows boxes. One desktop with W7Ult and a laptop with W7Home. The home did the auto updates but the Ult box had the IE11 unchecked in Windows Update. That prog gives me 4 options three of which dont download IE or any other update auromaticly. This may not be very helpful I guess but it's worth a look.

I had been running IE9 for over a year and manualy updated to 10 a few months ago.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

DarkElegance ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2013 at 5:37 AM

Quote - I run two windows boxes. One desktop with W7Ult and a laptop with W7Home. The home did the auto updates but the Ult box had the IE11 unchecked in Windows Update. That prog gives me 4 options three of which dont download IE or any other update auromaticly. This may not be very helpful I guess but it's worth a look.

I had been running IE9 for over a year and manualy updated to 10 a few months ago.

Mine didnt have the IE update checked to download...but apparently it must have.

Though the ActiveX did install.  When I restored it previous state(before update) it works fine now.

Though now I have a notice about a Flash update...and not sure if I should do it.

.<

Commission open.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2013 at 11:18 AM

I updated the Flash and Poser still is functional.  I don't anticipate any further problems from that end.

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2013 at 11:54 AM

Has anyone filed a bug report over this?  SM should know about it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2013 at 3:02 PM

Just did a system restore and can say it was IE11 what did it....

Poser is running fine without it...

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2013 at 6:36 PM

As usual, the more bug reports are filed, the faster a solution will be in the works.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

legolie ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2013 at 3:58 PM

Hello,

Maybe the windows updates arrive later in Europe, I have those updates today and of course my Poser crashes after ;-)
So thanks for the help, I have restored my system and I am going to install that fix for not installing IE11 even if I think Microsoft could have provided an easier tool and Smith Micro a fix ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.