Sun, Oct 6, 6:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Making a Ruffle Dress in Blender

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 1:46 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:24 AM

file_471370.jpg

Making another dress for P8 Alyson using Blender. This time it's a Ruffle Dress. Question thought, how exactly do you make each dress layer? I think I have a slight idea, but to save my self some time and frustration, could someone just explain it to me?

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 12:05 AM

for the easiest way create the base mesh for the dress

duplicate a loopcut to extrude for the lowest ruffle and subdivide it       then extrude it several times to make it move more like cloth

from there when you are happy with the poly count you can duplicate it and rescale to fit the next ruffle

but seeing the sheer fabrics of the ruffles you will need to seperate them by material zone and assigned color to make the difference in opacity

for the lace vertical trim an added plane with a tranparency map should work is set solid

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 29 December 2013 at 10:33 AM

Attached Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fhYqWNwCxo

Just posting this in case someone else needs the info. I found this video on You tube on how to make ruffles in Blender. It's not a speed tutorial and as of this writing I actually haven't tried it yet, but i'm going to.

heddheld ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2013 at 5:56 AM

never saw original post :-(

yeah thats a good way or for a dress use a couple of bezier circles

whats your plans once you get it into poser??

I tried a conforming one in P7!! was a pain an never looked good after poseing

might be better with weight mapping, be interested in seeing what you come up with

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2013 at 4:39 PM

file_500524.png

What I'm trying at this point is to make a dress for Roxie and embellish it with Ruffles. This what I've done so far.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2013 at 4:40 PM · edited Mon, 30 December 2013 at 4:43 PM

file_500525.jpg

Eventually, I'm hoping to get something similar to this. I'll probably make it a hybrid dress with the top part being conforming and the bottom just being one large hip area.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2013 at 4:47 PM

Right now, I'm having the damnedest time making the ruffle snap to the cursor. It's doing it, but I'm not doing something quite right because it's not following the curve.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2013 at 10:45 PM

file_500529.png

Okay, I followed the instructions and I've got one side of the lower dress done.Now I have to repeat everything for the opposite side.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2013 at 10:56 AM
Forum Moderator

Do look forward to seeing this when it is completed and thanks for sharing the tutorial been wanting to know how to do ruffles as well

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

heddheld ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2013 at 12:29 PM

good start

how you gonna handle that shape with dynamics?  cloth stiffness??

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2013 at 3:10 PM

Fortunately, unless she's sitting down, there's no real need for dynamics. Except for the sleeves.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2014 at 8:56 AM

IIRC, LLF once pointed out that you can't really sit in real versions of dresses like that.  I think it was her, that is, I'm sure of the quote.  The person, who was speaking from experience,  said in real life people have to give you a stool sit on under the dress.

You can just make ruffles like those by extruding out, using a select every other n, and pulling in the appropriate direction.  If you need extra edge loops, cut one close to the join on the ruffles, then at least one before the end (so the ruffle has at least two internal loops with one close to the join). Select all the loops but the join and the loop next to it, then subdivide them as many times as you need.  I usually find no more than 3 works well, but you might need more for that topology.  Then use J to make the n-gons between the last subdivided divided loop and the loop before the join into quads and tris.  The tris will actually help with the rippling effect.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2014 at 4:44 PM

file_500786.png

I put it aside for a few days, but I haven't finished working on it just yet. I still have more fuffles to do, across the chest and on the sleeves. but here's a quick peek at what I've done so far.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2014 at 4:52 PM
Forum Moderator

Think it is look really good EClark really good look forward to seeing the final product :thumbupboth:

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2014 at 6:00 PM

Oh, and since it's perfectly symmetrical, you could use the mirror modifier and just do everything once instead of twice.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2014 at 8:15 PM

Quote - Oh, and since it's perfectly symmetrical, you could use the mirror modifier and just do everything once instead of twice.

Heh, actually That's how I had to do the second ruffle. For soem reason, I couldn't get it to follow the opposite curve I had made for it, so I just decided to mirror it instead. Saved a bunch of time.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.