Tue, Oct 22, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Frustration with the PUTER!!

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 11:05 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:43 AM

GUH, ok frustration has finally pushed me to post about this in hope I may do something better with the puter.

I have pp2012, a 64bit system 32 gigs ram....4 cores

yet when I do ANY render, poser takes ALL resources. 100% of the CPU.

HOW do I stop this? or is there a better way to get the most out of my lil monster?

My fiance uses it for gaming and it works just fine for his games, great graphics etc.

His games do not take up as much as poser does.

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission Closed till 2025

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 11:18 AM · edited Sat, 25 January 2014 at 11:22 AM

Open the properties of your Poser icon by right clicking on it.

Put this:

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64cmd.exe /c start "runbelownormal" /belownormal "C:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser Pro 2012PoserPro.exe"

in the "Start In" line.

Apply

OK.

Now, when you launch Poser, it will run in the background and you can do other things while a render is underway.

Many thanks to BB for this useful hint.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 11:34 AM

Quote - Open the properties of your Poser icon by right clicking on it.

Put this:

C:WINDOWSSysWOW64cmd.exe /c start "runbelownormal" /belownormal "C:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser Pro 2012PoserPro.exe"

in the "Start In" line.

Apply

OK.

Now, when you launch Poser, it will run in the background and you can do other things while a render is underway.

Many thanks to BB for this useful hint.

o_0 does that slow down renders?

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 12:10 PM

Not unless you have some other resourse hog program running. As far as netsurfing and the like you'll never know the difference.

JimTS ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 12:22 PM · edited Sat, 25 January 2014 at 12:24 PM

file_501276.jpg

Edit your process under the tab in task manager

While I capture and paste time, ticks away......

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 4:02 PM

If you open up Poser and got to Edit, General preferences then click the Render tab you'll see a slider for the number of threads that Poser will use to render your images.

It sounds like you may have that a little high, try halving the number and re-rendering.  It it's still taking 100%, halve it again.  And so on and so forth until it behaves.

Mine is set to 8 and I have a 64bit 4 core processor, so 2 threads per core.  I can't say it's the fastest at rendering, but it rarely slows my machine down for other aplications :)

I hope that helps.

John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

vilters ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 5:18 PM

Poser is designed to go full bore at 100% on the CPU during render.
A CPU can run at 100% for ages if the cooling fan works as it should.

In general preferences set :
For a quadcore set the number of treads to 4.
For a hyperquadcore quad, set the number of treads to 8.

But with alt-tab, you can always go to the main Windows screen and do something else.
Poser will happy-happy continue to render in background.

The only time Poser actually slows down, is when :
a) It runs out of usable RAM and has to start swapping to HD. => Poser 32 bit versions
b) Some unlogical material nodes/setups start fighting. => All Poser versions
c) Trying to render at "impossible" render settings.

(b) and (c) are more common

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2014 at 10:09 AM

OK I have set it to be below normal, and it is STILL taking up 100%.

and that was on a test render.

.<

what I do not get is that my fiance plays war frame on here, it doesnt even blink with that game in full wack. Great graphics, no lag.

But I use poser and its molasses in january in alaska!

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2014 at 10:10 AM

Quote - Poser is designed to go full bore at 100% on the CPU during render.
A CPU can run at 100% for ages if the cooling fan works as it should.

In general preferences set :
For a quadcore set the number of treads to 4.
For a hyperquadcore quad, set the number of treads to 8.

But with alt-tab, you can always go to the main Windows screen and do something else.
Poser will happy-happy continue to render in background.

The only time Poser actually slows down, is when :
a) It runs out of usable RAM and has to start swapping to HD. => Poser 32 bit versions
b) Some unlogical material nodes/setups start fighting. => All Poser versions
c) Trying to render at "impossible" render settings.

(b) and (c) are more common

I have all that done in the poser preference.

I am sure there is some setting, some tweek I havent done to get this thing to run smoother and better. I just cant seem to find it@.@

basicwiz ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2014 at 10:30 AM

Poser will take 100% of resources AS LONG AS you don't try to do something else. Try it. Set a render in place then open up another program. You'll find the second program can command resources as it needs them.

This is the point... to allow Poser to use everything as long as the reseouces are not needed elsewhere.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2014 at 10:53 AM

Yes this seems a very big point of confusion.

You do not want Poser to use less than 100% of the available power - that will just leave parts of your processor doing nothing at times.

The definition of "available" is the issue, and the suggestion to set the priority to belownormal will mean that Poser gets its share after any other programs that are running at "normal" priority have nothing to do. So if you run a game and the game needs 80% of the CPU to be snappy, Poser will be left with 100% of 20% because it's below normal.

If you leave it at "normal", then Poser gets 50%, your game gets 50%, and both seem sluggish.

If nothing else is running, Poser should use 100% of 100% - giving you the best render time possible.

What I think is happening here is you think you ran it below normal, but you actually ran it normal, so other things are still sluggish. Or - you are just reacting to a number and nothing's misbehaving. I'm not sure.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2014 at 4:13 PM

Quote - Yes this seems a very big point of confusion.

You do not want Poser to use less than 100% of the available power - that will just leave parts of your processor doing nothing at times.

The definition of "available" is the issue, and the suggestion to set the priority to belownormal will mean that Poser gets its share after any other programs that are running at "normal" priority have nothing to do. So if you run a game and the game needs 80% of the CPU to be snappy, Poser will be left with 100% of 20% because it's below normal.

If you leave it at "normal", then Poser gets 50%, your game gets 50%, and both seem sluggish.

If nothing else is running, Poser should use 100% of 100% - giving you the best render time possible.

What I think is happening here is you think you ran it below normal, but you actually ran it normal, so other things are still sluggish. Or - you are just reacting to a number and nothing's misbehaving. I'm not sure.

no I checked in task manager. It defo says below normal.

when I was rendering with it, it was 100% cpu and 5gigs RAM.

prixat ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2014 at 4:35 PM

What other program are you trying to run that is affected by Poser at 100%?

regards
prixat

FightingWolf ( ) posted Tue, 28 January 2014 at 7:38 PM

To be honest I've never seen Poser use 100% of the CPU resources on my computer.  I've always seen computer freezes around 90%-95 when it comes to the computers I've used or worked on.

I would be interested in seeing what all is running when you are getting 100% CPU use from Poser.  Does it decrease when you open another program like a browser, or word processing program?

aRtBee ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 6:14 AM

At the moment, Poser takes 99% of my 12-thread CPU. When switching windows, like for typing this text, it drops to 96% for a split second, then continues at 99%, and so on. At reduced priority, in whatever way I launch the program (even when double clicking a pz2/pzz), as it should be. I can do anything I like at full performance with Poser rendering all along. I can even run a different Poserversion (say Pro2012) next to to the currently active one (PP2014).

Recommended reading: Poser the Program on my site http://www.book.artbeeweb.nl/?p=162 It tells you how to get and keep QueueManager an FFrender (the separate process) in reduced priorities as well.

All the best, happy rendering.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 7:41 AM

Quote - At the moment, Poser takes 99% of my 12-thread CPU. When switching windows, like for typing this text, it drops to 96% for a split second, then continues at 99%, and so on. At reduced priority, in whatever way I launch the program (even when double clicking a pz2/pzz), as it should be. I can do anything I like at full performance with Poser rendering all along. I can even run a different Poserversion (say Pro2012) next to to the currently active one (PP2014).

Recommended reading: Poser the Program on my site http://www.book.artbeeweb.nl/?p=162 It tells you how to get and keep QueueManager an FFrender (the separate process) in reduced priorities as well.

well I have defrag'ed, opened the case and cleaned it, I have looked through all processes and made SURE that poser is set below normal(I have become almost OCD about it) and checked everything else. It still runs at 100% and lags -everything- else on the puter. I cant pop open photoshop when its running, I cant play music, etc. The heat its putting out is worrying.

I have been dealing with this for a long while but, it is getting highly frustrating now.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 8:00 AM

Quote - At the moment, Poser takes 99% of my 12-thread CPU. When switching windows, like for typing this text, it drops to 96% for a split second, then continues at 99%, and so on. At reduced priority, in whatever way I launch the program (even when double clicking a pz2/pzz), as it should be. I can do anything I like at full performance with Poser rendering all along. I can even run a different Poserversion (say Pro2012) next to to the currently active one (PP2014).

Your tut should be "must read" for anyone purchasing poser! I have saved your site to keep reading.:)

aRtBee ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 8:03 AM

when rendering in a separate process, ensure that the FFREnder process runs below normal priority as well. If the processes insist on being important, degrade them even to a lower priority. Just in case: take a thread away from them. It shouldn't be necessary, it's rude, but in the end it's YOUR puter. Your mouse should move freely, and you should be able to watch movies and youtube and read tutorials while waiting for de renderer to finish.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 11:41 AM

Is poser the only thing you are having issues with in terms of speed (and not percentages)?

Also, what's wrong with poser taking up 100% of your CPU as long as you aren't doing anything else?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 3:57 PM

Quote - Is poser the only thing you are having issues with in terms of speed (and not percentages)?

Also, what's wrong with poser taking up 100% of your CPU as long as you aren't doing anything else?

nope, the games, the graphics programs...nothing else is having this issue. Also, its the fact that while poser is hogging the cpu I cant really do anything else when a render is going.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 4:10 PM

You can render it overnight.  A lot of people do that.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 5:00 PM

Quote - You can render it overnight.  A lot of people do that.

I do that all the time. But, when I have to do multiple renders a day its not workable. I cant do one render a day >.<

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 29 January 2014 at 5:07 PM

There's Queue Manager...

WARK!

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 8:30 AM

It really sounds like FFRender64.exe is not set to low priority. Are you SURE this is the case? Also... how much memory does the minitor show being used? Is that maxed out?

aRtBee ( ) posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 8:47 AM

the question is: why is FFrender running at normal priority then?

Poser will be launched at any priority, determined by user
Queuemanager will be launched by user at any priority, or by Poser
FFrender will be launched by either QM or Poser
and... any process ingerits the priority from its parent/launcher, at launchtime.

So when QM is not used and Poser starts at reduced prio, how can FFrender run normal?

- - - - - 

DarkElegance ( ) posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 12:48 PM

Quote - It really sounds like FFRender64.exe is not set to low priority. Are you SURE this is the case? Also... how much memory does the minitor show being used? Is that maxed out?

no that is the thing. When poser is at 100% cpu the RAM is pretty stable at around 4.5-5 gigs. and yes I am VERY sure it is at below normal priority. I have become OCD about checking it.

bevans84 ( ) posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 8:43 PM

I believe if you set the preferences to render in a separata process, firefly will always run below normal priority. I run Poser 2014 at normal and render in a separate process, if I run Poser below normal, then everything is sluggish if I try to work on the scene while rendering.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.