Sat, Oct 5, 9:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: ISO: Marcelled Hair from the 1930s

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 7:16 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 9:25 AM

file_502113.jpg

I am aware of the "Finger Wave Bob" at Daz, but that one is far too messy for what I need.  I want a very clean, crisp waved hair set like in these pics.   

Any suggestions?

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 8:37 AM

The closest hair I know of is Mylochka's Golddigger.  Not truly marcelled, though.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/9334/browse/11/Poser/V3-Golddigger

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 8:58 AM

Hmm.  Possibly.  I'll bookmark that one.

RosemaryR

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 11:46 AM

That looks like something that 3Dream could do with his Master Skull Cap system.  Why don't you send him a sitemail.

That is certainly a hair style I'd like to have.

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 10:53 PM

I am doing some 1930s images as well, style like this would be most welcome. I don't think I could do this in the hair room ROFL. What a challenge that would be.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 12:43 AM

I think I may try my hand at it myself.  Maybe start start with an simple MD mesh for the basic hair shape, then try making the waves in ZBrush.  It would certainly be good practice, which I do need in ZB, but it need a good texture, which is not my thing.

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 1:25 AM · edited Mon, 24 February 2014 at 1:26 AM

file_502141.jpg

..this just might work...

keep you posted on the experiment!

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 8:14 AM · edited Mon, 24 February 2014 at 8:15 AM

file_502143.jpg

I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or cry my eyes out.

Boy, oh boy, is hair hard!!!

I must may have to go with a straight bob cut.  There are plenty of those out there.

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 11:49 AM

file_502147.jpg

Well, I figured out the best approach, taking into consideration my crappy texturing skill... I'll take an existing bob cut hair, and create a marcelled morph for it.  ZBrush won't affect the mapping as long as I only use movement type tools... I will just have to practice my ZBrushing a lot more!

Here's Juni Hair, with a quick test morph added.  I think this is the way I will go... it will certainly take a shorter amount of work and time to get the result I'm looking for.

RosemaryR

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 6:07 AM

It is possible to do this in the Hair Room after all - I just had to figure out the technique. I'll get to it when I have finished the style I am working on now. The story I am illustrating is set in the early 1930s and I can really use a waved style like this.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

DarkElegance ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 4:15 PM · edited Wed, 26 February 2014 at 4:18 PM

GUH I am almost positive there is a hair like that at DAZ.

looking...

http://www.daz3d.com/short/finger-wave-bob

and

http://www.daz3d.com/short/liz-character-and-hair

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 9:29 PM

Quote - GUH I am almost positive there is a hair like that at DAZ.

looking...

http://www.daz3d.com/short/finger-wave-bob

and

http://www.daz3d.com/short/liz-character-and-hair

And as I said in my very first post:  "I am aware of the "Finger Wave Bob" at Daz, but that one is far too messy for what I need."

And the the hair that comes with Liz is indeed much closer, but the waving at the side is minimal.   Even with that, I would have to do a re-working of the mesh to get the deep marcelled waves.  

But, thanks for pointing out Liz.  It may be the fall-back position option.

RosemaryR

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 11:48 PM

file_502263.JPG

Rosemary, after a bit of practice I am able to get an effect like this in the hair room. Obviously it is still very crude and needs a lot of refinement and the hair colour is definitely not the final one. 

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 9:18 AM

Quote - Rosemary, after a bit of practice I am able to get an effect like this in the hair room. Obviously it is still very crude and needs a lot of refinement and the hair colour is definitely not the final one. 

Whooohoo!  Yeah, baby!  Now that's what I'm looking for!  I will continue with playing with trying to morph an existing hair item, but that looks so much better already!

RosemaryR

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 12:43 PM

file_502270.jpg

Available now at ShareCG, here in freestuff as soon as it is approved.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

heddheld ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2014 at 7:52 AM

just saw this thread this morning, NOT tried it (yet)

it may halp in what your after (blender addon)

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?328602-Very-Hairy-Tools

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2014 at 8:57 AM

Heddheld, that looks like a toolkit that someone wants to be made available for Blender - if I am not mistaken it is in proof of concept stage...?

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2014 at 11:03 AM

Quote - Available now at ShareCG, here in freestuff as soon as it is approved.

Cool, I'll be playing with it this coming week.  I'll share any tweaks I make, so you can have them too.

RosemaryR

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2014 at 2:24 AM

opps sorry

I saw that 5 mins before I had to go out and it looked like it might have been useful to you

I thought it was a addon already made not a request for one!! will be more careful next time ;-)

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:52 PM

file_502445.jpg

Nanette:  I've had a little time to play with your Hair:  took off the front fringe/bangs, changed the density of the hair, and made it black.

I wish I knew how you did the waving!  I've tried everything to duplicate it!  Any pointers??

RosemaryR

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 8:18 AM

The removal of the fringe/bangs gives her a rather high forehead.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 8:52 AM · edited Fri, 07 March 2014 at 8:54 AM

Quote - The removal of the fringe/bangs gives her a rather high forehead.

Yep.  But this is only the first tweaks I made to Nanette's hair piece.  

I figure on either using a pre-made hair cap (such as come with some conforming hairs), or perhaps a body texture with a hair-base, or another dynamic hair set  set to a very short, very plush fur-like setting, to act  for the 'undergrowth', and fill in any visual gaps that the longer dynamic hair may show in renders.  That should fill in the normal hairline area.

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 10:46 AM

Quote - I wish I knew how you did the waving!  I've tried everything to duplicate it!  Any pointers??

OH!  OH!  I think I've got it!!! It's all in that fall-off slider in the Styling tools!!  Isn't it??!!

(Now I'm going to be playing even more with the Hair Room!)

RosemaryR

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.