Mon, Oct 21, 11:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: OT: How do you set up dual screens for Poser?

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 12:47 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:20 PM

The title sorta says it all.  I need an idiot friendly tutorial.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 12:50 PM

I just open poser, grab the windows I want to put on the other monitor, drag them there and drop. then I set the default to that in settings.

it's really that simple :D

aRtBee ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 1:03 PM

just my attempt: all panes in the Poser window have a VERY little square at their right upper corner. Click it, and you can choose Docked, Floating, etc.

Select Floating, and drag the window as said by Khai-J-Bach. In menu Edit > general preferences, Interface tab set Launch Behavior to "previous state".

You can, for instance, separate out the Document window on Floating one monitor and leave all other panes - docked - on the other.

Relaunch the interface to "factory state" when things have become a mess, and restart Poser. Then you can start fresh again.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 2:25 PM
Site Admin

Well, since you want and idiot friendly version, first you need 2 screens... ;)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 6:31 PM

Just to be clear, do you already have dual monitors working with the desktop extended across both monitors?   That is, as opposed to the second monitor duplicating the first?

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 7:50 PM

Couldn't you just Google it?  Plenty of tutes on the net.

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 7:55 PM

I have two monitors.  One is already hooked to the computer.  The other is sitting next to me waiting to be connected.  Yes, I know how to connect a monitor, I just thought there might be something special I needed to do to get them both to work with my grahics programs.

Thank you.

hornet3d ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 8:39 PM

If it is Windows 7 Connect up the second monitor and with them both powered up right click on the desktop and select 'screen resolution'.  Click the detect button and you should now have two monitors shown.  Now set the position (above below or side to side) and resolution for each monitor.

You do not give sizes of the monitors but if you have a different sizes, I have a 23" main and a 19" for the tools, you can also move the relationship of the second monior so that the curser moves from one screen to the next without jumping up or down.  Of course that assumes they are side by side above and below will mean the curser will move left or right if not adjusted correctly.  Much easier if you have two monitors of the same size of course.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 9:22 PM

And before you ask, yes, there is software to span the wallpaper across multiple monitors.

heddheld ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 3:07 AM

one word of warning (hope it NEVER hapens mate)

if you lose a monitor it can be a pain to get them windows back on main(only) screen

never tried this but make a back up of .ini files,(dunno if it will work mind you )

I tried edditing them but make some things worse lol

since the day I found out monitors dont like fizzy coke ;-) I never save preffs over two screens!! the mins you lose dragging over a window isnt worth the hours you waste sorting all the proggys you did it to ;-)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 6:49 AM · edited Mon, 24 February 2014 at 6:57 AM

For best results, use two monitors which have the same vertical pixel dimension.  Horizontal pixel width doesn't matter.  Physical size of the screens doesn't matter.

examples which work well together:

• laptop's monitor is 17" 1920x1200, secondary is a 27" 1920x1200
  • dual 30" 2560x1600
  • 30" 2560x1600 primary, 20" 1200x1600 (flipped to portrait) secondary
  • 20" 1200x1600 (flipped to portrait) primary, 30" 2560x1600 secondary
  • 24" 1920x1200 primary, 20" 1600x1200 secondary

You can use two monitors with different pixel heights -I certainly would, rather than have only one- but there will be some dead space strips beyond the top and bottom of the smaller pixel height monitor on your desktop where you can momentarily lose your mouse cursor.  Just move the mouse around until the cursor shows itself.

My nVidia graphics card came with a utility which allows for a panoramic desktop, but it is actually broken into two pics (one for each monitor).  Galadriel and Cameron both have this setup (one huge scene continued across both screens).  Firebird has two different desktop pics on her monitors.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 7:50 AM

Dualmonitor is the freebie which allows panoramic wallpaper.  And it can be configured for two different images same as Firebird.

heddheld ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 2:10 PM

any advantage to using these proggys??

I use 2 comps 4 monitors (techy wise ones me telly ;-) )

what nvidia does works (and mouse without borders if both on windows)

(one comp dual boots linux mint not that I use it often but keep meaning to )

if theres some advantage over what I do will have a look but rarely have wallpaper

no aero no drop shadows on buttons etc etc

Photopium ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2014 at 8:27 PM

Quote - Couldn't you just Google it?  Plenty of tutes on the net.

So, in the midst of people actually helping the OP, you thought it was a good idea to chime in with this?

Is there some finite amount of forum space and you're terrified that this thread is going to reach capacity?

What was your motivation for posting this? 

I'm trying to understand and mean all of this in the most sincere and nicest way possible with all manner of respect and political correctness.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 8:24 AM

Faced with the same situation of maintaining dual monitors, I went to the web first; I did not post in the forum.  It was not meant as a disrespect or criticism.  Exhaust all options first, you might get quicker results.  There are plenty of step-by-step instructions already available.  By the time you get a forum response with details, you would have already read 2 or 3 articles on the same subject.

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 9:53 AM

Curious...I am on a Mac PP2014, Two monitors. Poser in the right, folders open to my main runtime base folder with sub folders off that t my various runtimes, and geometries and textures folders on the left.

I can position the parameters pallet on the edge of the left monitor and save as preferred and it opens every time in the same place.

The library floating pallet however never remembers where I put it in the left screen and always reopens in the right screen. Do windows users have the same issue. I think the library pallet does not recoginize negative positioning (minus values) relative to the main poser window is my hunch. Meaning if it is to the left of the poser window it is a negative position and if I flipped the monitors around and put the main poser window in the left monitor and the library in the right monitor it might remember where it was (positive value). Comments anyone?

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 11:11 AM

I use PP2014 running on Windows 7 and have the main poser window on the left.  On the right screen I have the library pallet along with a few other pallets such as parameters, editing tools, light controls, light dots, render dots, pose dots and Camera plus.  All of them are composed so that the library has about 75% of the screen with the rest sized to give me the best use/size balance.  Set up as pereferences they all reload to the right hand screen without a problem.  I have not tried it with the right screen as the main so Windows may have the problem you suggest but, because of the nature of my room set up, the right handed main would prove difficult for me with the present room layout.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 11:18 AM

Interesting point.  I have my Libary situated on the right monitor for convenience and comfort, and it always appears there after booting the computer.  Worth a try to see if it does occur on a PC.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 12:54 PM

Valkyrie (Win7Prox64, Poser Pro 2014 with SR3.1)  has a secondary monitor to the left.  The libraries open on the right (primary) monitor.  I moved the library to the left screen, then used edit:general preferences to set the preferred scene.  Libraries still open on the right.  I moved the libraries to the left screen and ticked a UI dot.  Close Poser, re-open Poser, and the libraries are on the right.  click the (already set) UI dot, and the libraries remain on the right.

Poser 12, in feet.  

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 1:46 PM

I think it has to do with the library not being able to be positioned with negative values in relation to the poser window X -500 vs X 500. The first version of BB's library this worked on the left. Then the next version it went away. I am right handed but have always focused on the right most monitor, and put the extra stuff on the left.

Being older then dirt, you can't teach and old dog new tricks. I wonder how long it would take to break the habit if I reversed things.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.