Thu, Sep 19, 3:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Translucid dress

padme ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2014 at 2:10 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:34 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_501994.jpg

Can you get this effect directly in Poser?. I would appreciate any help to configure the shader.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2014 at 2:28 PM · edited Wed, 19 February 2014 at 2:32 PM

lu·cid adjective ˈlü-səd: very clear and easy to understand

: able to think clearly

So, um, translucid would mean ... um, what?  :huh:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

I think you meant ...

trans·lu·cent adjective -sənt: not completely clear or transparent but clear enough to allow light to pass through

Yes, no, maybe? 😄

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

cedarwolf ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2014 at 2:43 PM

Thanks, Dr. G...you beat me to the punch.

I think it would depend on the translucence of the material involved and the lighting source you want to bleed through the cloth to show the interior.  Try different transparency settings for the cloth and see which one gives you the best results.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2014 at 3:34 PM

one may wish to try translucence channel for 2D translucence, or custom scatter for 3D translucence, if one has got scene with girl wearing dress like that.  please post results, in case it works.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 2:44 PM

translucence never work for me, nor did I try scatter.

cage's script - mr skinner 3b

render in poser 8.  might work better in recent version, using scatter.

willyb53 ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 10:36 AM

I dont think scaatter works on single sided surfaces

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 3:14 PM

I might try it in later version.  how hard can it be?  it would look better with some thread tex showing on cage's skinner prop.  I had to use that, as poser's shrinkwrap script never works for me, even after reading the tute.  all I got was scrunched-up stuff with shrinkwrap, vs. no problemo with mr skinner 3b.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 6:49 PM

tried all 5 scatter nodes, but didn't work, as ind. by willy.  fresnel node worked o.k., sim. to refr. node.  will await word from OP on any interest.

willyb53 ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2014 at 8:31 PM

file_502241.jpg

Tried fresnel in refraction color with value of .42

fresnel default except softness at 4.3

Dont think it looks too bad (mr. skinner sheath :D )

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 12:40 PM

yeah, that looks good, willy!  here's one with fresnel node in bill's basic fresnel shader.  added atmo to see how it looked.

fresnel node in poser to simulate translucence

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 1:21 PM · edited Thu, 27 February 2014 at 1:24 PM

The fresnel node is a single node containing fresnel_blend + reflect + refract. It's no different than my basic fresnel shader that you inserted it into. The reason I don't use the fresnel node is that since it is all of one piece, I cannot control the refraction color nor independently adjust the reflection IOR and the refraction IOR.

What you have done is pretty much equivalent to inserting a copy of my fresnel shader into my fresnel shader.

What's really going on here is the Glossy node you added. It's firing up the back cloth. The refraction of it is certainly an effect but not getting you closer to realism. Cloth doesn't refract. It has tiny holes (pretty much tunnels) and it has thickness (the tunnels have a depth). When these tunnels line up right, you can see through them. At other times the light bounces around and lights the walls of those tunnels, and if the angle is right you can see those lit walls.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 4:37 PM

o.k., then we gotta use weave, w/weave-based transp. and displ.

or maybe use carrara or something to add thickness to dress.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2014 at 12:40 PM

here's one with weave.

weave trans

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2014 at 1:27 PM

Hey now! That's good.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

cfpage ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2014 at 1:59 PM

Very good work

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2014 at 12:06 PM · edited Mon, 03 March 2014 at 12:08 PM

file_502362.jpg

here's one w/tile.  glow blobs in back are special feature of FFRender, like box o'chocolates in "forrest gump": ya never know what yer gonna get!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.