Fri, Aug 2, 10:10 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 25 7:29 pm)

Subject: Vue - Normal maps vs Displament maps vs Bumps and Function editor

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2014 at 6:09 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 5:54 AM

I'm using Vue2014 Complete. But pretty sure this question is relevant to most of the last versions of Vue/

Nomal maps seem pretty straight forward to use. You simply open the Bumps tab andtick the Import normal map and find your normal map. I use 3DCoat to create my normal maps...

But how do you add a Displacement map? it seems somewhat convoluted and the 'edit function' editor scares the HELL out of me....

Is it one or the other? That is do you use a displacement map or a normal map? Or can you use both as it appears you can in Daz Studio Pro 4.6.

Bump maps are also easy. I just change into the advanced material editor to basic material editor and tick off  bump and load a bump file. Too bad it was not as simple to load a displacement map?

Also do you use a bump map with either displacement or normal maps?

I love the guys at geekatplay. They are second to none. But their tutorial on the edit function usually puts me to sleep. Any other good tutorials on the edit function editor?

many thanks...

Ken

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 6:21 AM

It is supposed to be one or the other if you use the material editor, because you need to tick "desplacement", and then click Import normal map. But if you check the function editor, ypou'll notice that the nprmal map has been assigned to a Normal output, so you can connect a displacement map/function to the Displacement output.

But when doing so, you can't decide of a strengh value for the displacement, and if you check your render, it seems the displament hasn't been applied, so I'm not 100% sure, but it does seem you can't use displacement and normal at the same time, nor bump and normal at the same time....

forester ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 10:19 AM · edited Tue, 04 March 2014 at 10:23 AM

The basic purpose of a normal map is to create displacement in a render.  

The depth of the displacement can be controlled using the depth of the bump map setting.

In general, if you are using a normal map for displacement, you might also want to put a specular map (if you have one) in the place where bump maps usually go. And just a very small depth setting for the combined normal and bump map. Unless you are making massively eroded rocks or something.  

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 05 March 2014 at 2:22 AM

Agree, Pam, problem is you can't add a bump map to a normal map in Vue. Well, technically uou can with the function editor, but it won't be applied, because you cannot specify a depth value in the FE...

forester ( ) posted Wed, 05 March 2014 at 3:04 AM

Somehow, this does seem to work, Bruno. At least in my experience.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.