Mon, Sep 9, 5:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 5:10 pm)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Display problems with wx.SpinCtrl on Mac OSX?

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 1:31 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:26 AM

file_502472.jpg

A user has pointed out to me that the PPy wx GUIs of my scripts do not display as intended, on OSX with Poser Pro 2014.  See the attached, with Windows on the left hand side and OSX on the right..  The arrow keys on a SpinCtrl widget are displayed on the incorrect side with OSX, making the input text illegible.  I have not been able to replicate this error on my Windows 7 machine, nor have I found any tweak or setting to fix the problem.  Online research suggests that the SpinCtrl widget is handled and displayed differently on OSX than on Windows, but the examples I have seen show the arrow keys on the same side as I expected.

Does anyone have any information about this phenomenon?  Is this a known problem, reported by other Mac users?  If so, how do my fellow Poser Python script-makers compensate for the problem?  Perhaps this is a Poser bug, or some oddity of this Mac user's OS environment?  😕

Any information at all would be helpful and appreciated.  :laugh:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

semidieu ( ) posted Sat, 08 March 2014 at 3:39 AM

I don't use often the spinctrl - I prefer using a wx.textctrl with a "charvalidator" function...

And I'm using a Windows OS most of the time... I have an iMac for testing. I'll take a look if I can reproduce this kind of error and if there is a soution for this :)

semidieu ( ) posted Sat, 08 March 2014 at 5:23 AM

file_502498.png

Just tested... and it is working for me...

import poser
import wx
class test_dialog(wx.Dialog):
    def init(self):
        wx.Dialog.init(self, None)

sizer = wx.BoxSizer()
        self.SetSizer(sizer)
        self.Fit()

sctrl = wx.SpinCtrl(self, value="64", min=35, max=75, initial = 64)
        sctrl.SetMinSize((150, -1))
        sizer.Add(sctrl)
dlg = test_dialog()
dlg.ShowModal()

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 08 March 2014 at 7:09 AM · edited Sat, 08 March 2014 at 7:10 AM

So I'm going to jump in and talk about this spin control. I do not like the buttons on the side, even when they appear in the correct location. They clutter the screen, and I never bother to push them. I want to use the mouse wheel.

The other thing I don't like is that they increment and decrement by a fixed amount. This is not the best approach for a Poser-related control. Whether it's the thickness of a prop, or the amount of bump in a shader, I like the click amount to be related to what's there already.

I have been working on my own custom control that does float numbers in increments that are self adjusting. It has no visible click buttons. It works with the wheel or the mouse pointer movement.

If your value is .004, a click up will add .001 and make .005.

If your value is 400, a click up will add 100 and make 500.

If you hold control, then the click amount is 1/10th the usual.

If you hold shift, the click amount is 2 times the usual.

I also made it so if you mouse down over the control and move your mouse up or down, that does the clicks as well. (Like an invisible vertical slider bar.)

I think it is a much better experience.

I am not completely done with debugging my implementation, but if you guys wanted to share and refine it with me, I'd be happy to work together with you and we all benefit from having a superior number editor for Poser work.

Maybe we could make some other specialty widgets as well.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 08 March 2014 at 11:47 AM · edited Sat, 08 March 2014 at 11:53 AM

I don't care for the arrow buttons, either, and I'm really not hung up on providing any equivalent to the arrow key functionality in any replacement widget.  I started using the SpinCtrl widgets because they were apparently the intended way to input integer values, and if I used them I didn't have to bother with valid type testing for the entry, as with the text widgets.  I can be sure the user has given me an integer, with these, and I don't have to worry that they're trying to pass off "Fred is a dog" as an integer, thus to snafu the script run and do who-knows-what to poor Poser in the process, since Poser seems to like to crash any time it gets even slightly confused, these days.  :unsure:  I'm gonna call this "type clamping", because Cage the Autodidact don't know them real, proper textbook terms for things.

I would like to have type clamping for float inputs, too.  Using a text entry for numerical inputs always bugs me.  Maybe it's just normal to do it that way in programming, and I just don't know that, with my limited frame of reference.  (Note that I do already apply entry type validity testing, when I use text entry fields for numerical entries.  I just like to use the built-in way to input the value, when possible.)

But right now I'm actually hoping to avoid replacing the use of SpinCtrl with anything else.  Two reasons.  One, I'm lazy, don't want to update two dozen scripts.  :lol:  Two, I don't have a website to allow distribution of updates, at this time.  I suspect this error reflects an oddity of the Mac user's OS environment.  Somethin' weird goin' on there.  No one else reports such problems, on the whole entire internet, as far as I can tell.

And, Tarim help me, I'm trying to blame the user.  Just like Customer Support keeps trying to do to me.  Oh, irony, why do you hate me so?  Why can't you be on my side, for a change?  Stupid irony.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 08 March 2014 at 11:59 AM

Quote - Just tested... and it is working for me...

Thank you for the test, Semidieu.  :thumbupboth:  I've sent your test code to the user, to see if the same error crops up.  I'm not using a BoxSizer, which is the only noteworthy difference between your implementation and mine.  Maybe that's the key factor somehow.  :unsure:

I dream of a world where software doesn't come with loads and loads of bugs.  I dream of an apartment that fits the same criterion.  Ah, Cage is a foool, alas.  :lol:

semidieu ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 3:04 PM

Having some more Poser specific objects might be a good idea. The main problem will then to have a 'basic guide line' to make the objects 'similar' in the use.

Quote - So I'm going to jump in and talk about this spin control. I do not like the buttons on the side, even when they appear in the correct location. They clutter the screen, and I never bother to push them. I want to use the mouse wheel.

The other thing I don't like is that they increment and decrement by a fixed amount. This is not the best approach for a Poser-related control. Whether it's the thickness of a prop, or the amount of bump in a shader, I like the click amount to be related to what's there already.

I have been working on my own custom control that does float numbers in increments that are self adjusting. It has no visible click buttons. It works with the wheel or the mouse pointer movement.

If your value is .004, a click up will add .001 and make .005.

If your value is 400, a click up will add 100 and make 500.

If you hold control, then the click amount is 1/10th the usual.

If you hold shift, the click amount is 2 times the usual.

I also made it so if you mouse down over the control and move your mouse up or down, that does the clicks as well. (Like an invisible vertical slider bar.)

I think it is a much better experience.

I am not completely done with debugging my implementation, but if you guys wanted to share and refine it with me, I'd be happy to work together with you and we all benefit from having a superior number editor for Poser work.

Maybe we could make some other specialty widgets as well.

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 9:43 PM

To provide some closure for the original question, it looks like SpinCtrl on OSX requires the use of a Wx sizer for proper display.  Without the sizer, weird things can happen.

Quote - self.divparm = wx.SpinCtrl(self, value="10",pos=(145,0), size=(50,20))

No sizer, bad.

Quote - sctrl = wx.SpinCtrl(self, value="64", min=35, max=75, initial = 64)
        sctrl.SetMinSize((150, -1))
        sizer.Add(sctrl)

Sizer, good.

semidieu ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2014 at 5:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.