Tue, Oct 22, 6:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 6:16 am)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Layered Transparency problem

jspade ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2014 at 10:20 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 6:09 PM

I'm having a problem with layers of glass. In the render below, the two windows just left of center are rendering as expected; you can see the skybox behind them. The other windows are not; they're showing solid white. This appears to be because they're behind another layer of glass (using the same Blender material); the same thing happens to the glass wall sections at the far left edge, when they're behind another glass wall section. The material settings are also in the screen shot.

I'm using Blender Render, with Ambient Occlusion & Indirect Lighting turned on Gather set to Approximate with 0.1 falloff.

Anybody know what's causing this and how I can fix it?

Glass render problem

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2014 at 5:47 AM

dont use BI much but try turning up your bounces

jspade ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2014 at 3:46 PM

Attached Link: http://i.imgur.com/iNI4liW.jpg

![Fixed render](http://i.imgur.com/iNI4liW.jpg)That put me on the right track, thanks. Turned out what was needed was to turn up the transparency depth - 5 seems to do it.

Warlock279 ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2014 at 3:55 PM · edited Sat, 05 April 2014 at 3:59 PM

Yep, that's exactly what the problem is from the looks of it, you need to find and turn up the ray recursion limit. Looks like its on the "Transparency" panel, and the default appears to be "2" which means once a ray passes thru 2 layers of transparency it "runs out of energy" and just returns the constant value, which in your case is white. If you set that value higher, it should solve the problem, you don't want to set it too high tho, as it will likely increase your render time slightly. 

Also, keep in mind, a similar issue, tho often less noticeable can happen when you have multiple refelctive surfaces on the scene together. There's a depth limit on the "Mirror" properties panel as well, you might want to increase that if you notice reflections are "running out" as well.

Where on earth did you get a monitor which a resolution of 2800x1800 pixels by the way???

EDIT: Whoops, looks like we crossed up while i was poking around blender for the right buttons to push.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2014 at 4:26 PM

Sounds like a Mac retina display.

Laurie

jspade ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2014 at 8:14 PM

Quote - Sounds like a Mac retina display.

Yup.

And thanks all. I'm still a n00b, but I'm learning fast.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.