Fri, Oct 4, 1:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Oh my gosh please bring back freestuff old interface!!!

Fenier ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 6:24 PM

It appears to be a design decision made on their part, which ensures the right sidebar is still visible.  

Some quick CSS work proves that 4x is possible, but it requires hiding the right sidebar, expanding the left side to be 100%, and making the width of the divs containing the images 25%.

You can see what I mean here:

http://afk2blog.com/redesign.png

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 6:24 PM

o.k., got adam's chain - just bypassed freestuff and went to his site.  screen res 1920X1080 (for watching blu-ray or viewing fab items here at rosity).

p.s. thanks adam for great freebies!

IceEmpress ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 9:45 PM

Quote - It appears to be a design decision made on their part, which ensures the right sidebar is still visible.  

Some quick CSS work proves that 4x is possible, but it requires hiding the right sidebar, expanding the left side to be 100%, and making the width of the divs containing the images 25%.

You can see what I mean here:

http://afk2blog.com/redesign.png

That's still just 2 rows in that screenshot.  It's only the preview galleruy at the top that is 4x.

Are you saying that the staff is unwilling to fix thids?@?!?!?  ASnd they're going to BRING THIS HORRIBLE LAYOUT TO THE MARKETPLACE, making it impossible for me to browse without wanting to pull my hair out?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!~?

THis is unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fenier ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 10:01 PM · edited Thu, 03 April 2014 at 10:01 PM

There are two rows, but the top row has four across.  That's what I meant.   That's not the preview gallery, I combined several rows to get four across.

Yes, it can be fixed, if the staff is willing to fix it.  I am saying the current design is not a bug, it's a intentional design choice for sub 1200px wide monitors.

Sabby ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 10:02 PM

It doesn't have to be that way at all, the current marketplace is 4 across without removing the bar. Even when you size down the window, the site just scales down... 

Renderosity Store :: Daz3D Store :: Facebook

Sabby ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 10:10 PM

On a side note, I seriously hope that you guys make sure that this works properly before putting it into the marketplace pages. I don't want to sell on a broken site for weeks... while all the errors/bugs are fixed. ;(

The free stuff section I assume was made how it is so we can view it on tablets, but in that regard, our family buys new technology like its our job and the free stuff area is horrible on every device I own... one column on some, two on others, sized up thumbs (so blurry), no side bars. 

Also, I think if you all looked into how many of your buyers view your site from mobile devices and actually make purchases from them you would see it's not many... It couldn't possibly, seems counter intuitive to buy something one place so you can go download it later at another place.

Renderosity Store :: Daz3D Store :: Facebook

Fenier ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 10:11 PM

Quote - It doesn't have to be that way at all, the current marketplace is 4 across without removing the bar. Even when you size down the window, the site just scales down... 

This is true, my example kept the thumbs larger (as that was clearly what they were going for).  At 1024 across however, the sidebar is broken becuase the images inside of it don't scale enough with the bar, and thus overhang it.

My point however is, smaller viewports do not nessercarly require all the features of the larger ones.  As space becomes more limited, in good design, things should reflow and / or disappear entirely as needed to make best use of space.

Unicornst ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 10:17 PM

Quote - it goes to page with {scroll, status, tab} bars disabled, when I click on freestuff redirected to another site.  almost like old malware trick, but likely just coding glitch.  safari

Yep, Miss Nancy, that's what I've been trying to alert the admin of this site about. You cannot always get the download because of this. They need to enable the sidebar in the pop-up window.

tsarist ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2014 at 8:43 PM

I agree with a lot of the posters. The new look isn't very helpful and not as easy to use as what was before.

I guess there is nothing that can be done?

I don't use the free stuff area nearly as much as I should (there is some good stuff there).

Oh well, spilled milk, I suppose.

IceEmpress ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2014 at 12:07 AM

^^It's not spilt milk.  They're bringing this to the marketplace as well, and I don't trust them to fix it before implementing it, esp. since KimberlyC does not appear to be in charge of these decisions, in addition to the fact that they initiated this layout without anywhere near enough testing (even though as professional a commercial site as Rendo is, they are 100% capable of testing it out first, far better than they actually have)

IceEmpress ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2014 at 4:36 AM

The sort results tabs don't appear to be working for me anymore.

TinaK ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2014 at 10:48 AM

Quote - The sort results tabs don't appear to be working for me anymore.

We are aware that these are not working once you go to a specific artist and we are working to get this corrected.  Is this the area you noticed that they are not working?

I am working with our programmer today to try and resolve some of these issues.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

Unicornst ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2014 at 12:03 PM

Quote - I am working with our programmer today to try and resolve some of these issues.

Such as implementing a sidebar in the pop-up window? :)

TinaK ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2014 at 12:49 PM

I have that on my list.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

Unicornst ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2014 at 3:06 PM

Quote - I have that on my list.

Thank you, Tina!

TinaK ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2014 at 4:38 PM

Quote - Also, is it just me, or did the bottom box with the "affiliates/ MP/ free stuff/" etc. disappear from the "what's new" section in Free Stuff?  Please bring that back.

This area will no longer be available but you can still access it from the homepage or most of this area by clicking on the "About Us" page.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2014 at 4:47 PM

Quote - > Quote - I am working with our programmer today to try and resolve some of these issues.

We can implement a sidebar in the pop-up window.  We do already have advertisements for products inside the window but if this is something that is needed we can do that for the members.  

Also on another note:

We do know that the sort functions are not working properly within a specific vendor page and this update will be released soon.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

IceEmpress ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2014 at 4:46 AM

The sort tabs don't work on the Search page, either-- that's where I noticed it.

Unicornst ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2014 at 11:51 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I am working with our programmer today to try and resolve some of these issues.

We can implement a sidebar in the pop-up window.  We do already have advertisements for products inside the window but if this is something that is needed we can do that for the members.  

Also on another note:

We do know that the sort functions are not working properly within a specific vendor page and this update will be released soon.

Are we talking about the same thing? Sidebar that lets you scroll in the pop-up window when you are re-directed to the site with the free item. Not sidebar that shows ads. The ads there are already prominent. ;)

Fenier ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2014 at 4:09 PM

Tina, she is talking about this issue from Page 2.

Quote - The file:

http://www.renderosity.com/assets/javascripts/freestuff.js

Contains an event handler for the download button, which on click, uses JavaScript to open a new window, which is 500 Height by 1200 Width.

Because the window.open function call does not contain instructions for scrollbars, status bar, or other 'chrome' (term used for everything not in the viewport) they are considered to be disabled by the function.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window.open

If the optional parameters are used, the features that are not listed will be disabled or removed (except titlebar and close which are by default yes).   

In the case of what you are seeing, because only height and width are passed in, everything else is considered to be disabled or 'no'.

IceEmpress ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2014 at 9:30 PM

Fenier, you are so awesome.  I would not be surprised if your input is being greatly helpful to the staff.  But then again, I don't know jack about HTML or JS, so I'm not a good judge.

Fenier ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2014 at 11:19 PM

Quote - Are we talking about the same thing? Sidebar that lets you scroll in the pop-up window when you are re-directed to the site with the free item. Not sidebar that shows ads. The ads there are already prominent. ;)

I believe a good part of the confusion on this thread, is a result of the different names people use for various UI elements.

Fenier ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2014 at 11:19 PM

Quote - Fenier, you are so awesome.  I would not be surprised if your input is being greatly helpful to the staff.  But then again, I don't know jack about HTML or JS, so I'm not a good judge.

Thank you.

TinaK ( ) posted Wed, 09 April 2014 at 9:33 AM

Thanks everyone and I will make sure that the programmer has a better understanding as Fenier explained.

I agree Fenier is very helpful.

:b_grin:

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

Fenier ( ) posted Wed, 09 April 2014 at 4:23 PM

Thank you also Tina.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 14 April 2014 at 12:07 PM

is there a way to know if a d/l is not from renderosity?

iz disconcerting to all of a sudden be redirected to another site.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 14 April 2014 at 12:10 PM

file_503556.jpg

in safari for pc browser i only see 2 or 1 per row

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

TinaK ( ) posted Mon, 14 April 2014 at 12:13 PM · edited Mon, 14 April 2014 at 12:14 PM

Quote - is there a way to know if a d/l is not from renderosity?

iz disconcerting to all of a sudden be redirected to another site.

Most  of the items in freestuff  have always been linked offsite.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

Fenier ( ) posted Mon, 14 April 2014 at 12:14 PM

Safari for PC is release 5 and has been discontinued for more than two years.  You should not expect sites to support it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.