Sat, Oct 5, 8:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: Does GenX work on Poser 10/Pro 2014?

gohanf22 ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:04 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 8:22 AM

Ok so I was looking for a program people told me about that utilized V4 morphs on V6 and I found it on Daz's Website.  Now when I looked at the software reqs it only said Daz Studio.  Even though it says that can it still work on Poser?  Some of my library can only work on poser and I don't really want to switch to Daz cause of it, so if anyone knows I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:38 AM

GenX is a plugin for DAZ Studio, so it runs from within that program. The resulting morphs can then be used in Poser via the DSON Importer.

gohanf22 ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:39 AM

Ok I'm sort of confused on what you mean.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:41 AM

GenX needs DAZ studio to run.

gohanf22 ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:52 AM

So how do I utilize it then in Poser. I have to make all my models in Daz in order to use them in Poser? Is that what you mean?

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:54 AM · edited Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:55 AM
Online Now!

The plugin needs to run through DAZStudio for the morphs to be converted.  Once the morphs are in place, load your Genesis 2 Female in Poser, allow DSON process figure, and the V4 morph dials should appear in the Parameters Panel.  At least, that is how other individual morphs appear in Genesis/Genesis2.

gohanf22 ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:57 AM

Another question: do I have to save the model first in Daz Studio to be able to use the DSON Importer for Poser?  Like I mean save the actual model file in Daz then import it that way?  Sorry if I'm asking to many questions. Trying to wrap mysel around this.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 10:59 AM
Online Now!

There are certain processes that need to be done in DAZStudio before converting to Poser.  For example, V4 textures cannot be applied to G2F directly in Poser because the model utilizes a different Material Zone.  The conversion must be performed in DAZStudio before you can do so in Poser.

gohanf22 ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 11:06 AM

Ok so when using GenX, the textures like tattoos, skins and stuff have to be done in Daz before the DSON Importer. That right?

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 11:56 AM · edited Thu, 08 May 2014 at 11:57 AM
Online Now!

Not necessarily.  Skin textures can be created in Poser, saved as a MAT file and applied in DAZStudio provided that the right UV is selected for Genesis/Genesis2  But at this point, you need to be very specific about what you intend to do because the workflow can be very involved.

The Generation X products only convert morphs from other DAZ legacy figures.

gohanf22 ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 12:57 PM

Do people still use V4.2? Cause honestly this is sounding too complicated for me to understand lol. I may just stick with V4.2 sounds like.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 1:16 PM
Online Now!

V4 is still very popular; weight-mapped even better.

moriador ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 1:30 PM · edited Thu, 08 May 2014 at 1:30 PM

From what I understand, you can use products such as "Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female" to get V4 UV's on G2F and GenX2 to get the morphs. However, as noted before, according to the product page, you have to convert your material files to DUF format (DS's native format) in order to apply them to G2F.

I'm not sure if you can use DS to convert your material files to DUF and then use DS to convert them to Poser Companion Files that will load with the DSON converter. Anyone know if that will work? If no one knows offhand, I'll test it myself later.

If you're not comfortable learning the ins and outs of converting files, V4.2 or better yet, one of the weight mapped versions of her, is probably your best bet. :)

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 1:45 PM

Quote -  

I'm not sure if you can use DS to convert your material files to DUF and then use DS to convert them to Poser Companion Files that will load with the DSON converter. Anyone know if that will work? If no one knows offhand, I'll test it myself later.

You can do this. Also Draagonstorm has a DS utility that will read the poser material files and apply them Genesis 2 and you save that out as a .DUF file as well. The resulting material file will probably still need to be tweaked in Poser.

It is a bit of work to convert your favorite characters, I usually convert all my purchased M4 characters (the head morphs mainly and I make a body shape based on Genesis 2 and using zbrush and modo) but after a while it doesn't take long to convert. 

moriador ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 2:03 PM · edited Thu, 08 May 2014 at 2:06 PM

Well, I'm not that attached to any particular characters, though I am extremely fond of some of the textures, particularly Mec4Ds.

I quite like the morphs available for Gen 2, but it might be nice to have a few more available, and I am deeply fond of JoeQuick's "Extraordinary Men/Women". I know he has a version for D5 for sale at Daz, but since I want the M4 UV's as well, I might as well convert the Gen 4 set that I already own. :)

Thank you for the answer.

Edit: I was wondering if I wanted Draagonstorm's utility... It seems like it might save a lot of fiddling with materials. :) All I need is to get the textures in the right place. EZSKin takes care of the shaders in a couple of clicks.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 3:24 PM · edited Thu, 08 May 2014 at 3:25 PM
Online Now!

I have already tried DraagonStorm's V4 Auto skin converter to G2F and it works very well.  The process involves loading G2F into DAZStudio, setting her UV to V4, then apply the conversion.  Save out the material as DUF.  This conversion is necessary because G2F has uniquely named material zones and trying to apply any V4 textures within Poser creates a second set of V4 specific MAT Zones.  Apparently, the second set is not recognized by Poser.  

By doing the conversion in DAZStudio with the plugin and saving the material as DUF from the V4 UV G2F, you create a V4 texture file that will change the Genesis 2 UV and apply itself correctly to fit the model.  

The only issue I have is you wind up with extra material zones you need to ignore when using EZSkin.

moriador ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 5:01 PM

Quote - I have already tried DraagonStorm's V4 Auto skin converter to G2F and it works very well.  The process involves loading G2F into DAZStudio, setting her UV to V4, then apply the conversion.  Save out the material as DUF.  This conversion is necessary because G2F has uniquely named material zones and trying to apply any V4 textures within Poser creates a second set of V4 specific MAT Zones.  Apparently, the second set is not recognized by Poser.  

By doing the conversion in DAZStudio with the plugin and saving the material as DUF from the V4 UV G2F, you create a V4 texture file that will change the Genesis 2 UV and apply itself correctly to fit the model.  

The only issue I have is you wind up with extra material zones you need to ignore when using EZSkin.

Cool! Thank you. I've already come across the extra material zones issue in EZSkin after mistakenly trying to apply the wrong mat (I think that's how it happened) to a Gen 2 figure. No biggie. 

mackis3D ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2014 at 6:00 PM

Quote - GenX needs DAZ studio to run.

GenX needs DAZ Studio only once: to register the serial number. After that GenX only needs the plugins in the 'plugins' folder that is installed with DS and the folders for DS in 'Roaming'. But after registering the serial number you don't need to run DS itself to use GenX in Poser.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2014 at 10:43 AM

Gen X is a DS plugin.  Think of it in the same terms as you would any python plugin for Poser.

Poser and DS use different scripting languages which is why plugins for one app will not work in another.

Vaskania ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2014 at 3:10 PM

Quote - > Quote - GenX needs DAZ studio to run.

GenX needs DAZ Studio only once: to register the serial number. After that GenX only needs the plugins in the 'plugins' folder that is installed with DS and the folders for DS in 'Roaming'. But after registering the serial number you don't need to run DS itself to use GenX in Poser.

Uhh what? That's like saying you can use EzSkin without Poser being open. GenX runs inside of Daz Studio, it's not a standalone app.

-----sig-----
Daz, Blender, Affinity, Substance, Unity, Python, C#

mackis3D ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2014 at 8:09 PM

What I meant: you don't have to open and run DAZ Studio to use GenX in Poser. It just has to be installed. At least it works this way in my case.

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2014 at 8:34 PM · edited Fri, 09 May 2014 at 8:39 PM

Yep, GenX works for me without DS running. I assume once it's installed, you need DS to create the morphs in Genesis, and once that's done, when you load Genesis in Poser, the morphs are there, and DS doesn't need to be running anymore (you never need to run it again, I mean).

Just like if you use EZskin to create the materials in Poser and you've saved those materials (or the figure) to the library, you could load that figure or materials in a version of Poser with no EZSkin, and the shaders would still work.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2014 at 8:46 PM

Quote - What I meant: you don't have to open and run DAZ Studio to use GenX in Poser. It just has to be installed. At least it works this way in my case.

That's the results of GenX, which are the morphs created from a Gen4 character. Once those are created, they are added to Genesis genepool so you can use them in Poser. To actually use GenX, which is a plugin to convert morphs from Gen4 characters, you do need DS open and running because the plugin is only accessible from the Windows->Panes-GenX menu in DS. You can't access the program any other way. 

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2014 at 9:13 PM

Quote - > Quote - What I meant: you don't have to open and run DAZ Studio to use GenX in Poser. It just has to be installed. At least it works this way in my case.

That's the results of GenX, which are the morphs created from a Gen4 character. Once those are created, they are added to Genesis genepool so you can use them in Poser. To actually use GenX, which is a plugin to convert morphs from Gen4 characters, you do need DS open and running because the plugin is only accessible from the Windows->Panes-GenX menu in DS. You can't access the program any other way. 

You make entirely too much sense. :) Once again, thank you for clarifying. I'd have felt like an idiot trying to convert morphs from characters and wondering where the interface was in Poser...

mackis3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 May 2014 at 9:01 PM

I also thank you both!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.