Sat, Aug 3, 5:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 3:43 am)

Subject: Is celluar implosion too harsh a punishment?

quietrob ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2014 at 10:16 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 8:46 AM

I had a render running. It tooks a day to set it up and I wanted everything from reflections to shadows and everything running at the highest quality settings.  I did a small render 300 by 300 and it seemed okay.  I increased the size to 2244 x 3176 at 300 dpi, told Poser to render and went to sleep. It ran all night and a late night/early morning check said it was about a third of the way done. The render is taking long but this is the mother of all renders. A labor of love.

The next night I wake up at 3am suddenly. I look over at the computer and someone who is quite dear to me is playing farmville.  No problem. It just means it will take a bit longer but I'll get the CPU cycles back when she finishes.  Imagine my horror when I see the Poser Icon at the bottom of the screen is gone! I haltingly ask what happened to the program I was running.

"Oh everything was sluggish. I closed it."

Tell me, my fellow rendernauts, is imploding her cells from the inside out too harsh a punishment?

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2014 at 10:36 PM

The second I read "farmville" I know something bad was going to happen.

Yeah I'd be pissed that they closed a render but I'd be angry at them for not asking me if it was ok to close it. That's why I built more than one computer so this issue never happens here.

Latexluv ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2014 at 11:11 PM

Well, I guess it depends on if you really think you can get a faster machine and internet connection in prison. XD :)

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 12:25 AM · edited Fri, 23 May 2014 at 12:26 AM

Buy an inexpensive tablet for her to play games on - you can find plenty of good ones for $200 or less (HP just introduced one for $100).

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 12:29 AM

I'd break there fingers.

In prison you paint with MnM candy.

Make tattoos by burning the soles of your shoes.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 12:37 AM

Anyone who  uses MY computer will need to pry the mouse from my cold, dead hands.

:P

Laurie

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 1:26 AM

Quote - Anyone who  uses MY computer will need to pry the mouse from my cold, dead hands.

:P

Laurie

lmao! I've seen her fall asleep with her laptop on and the mouse still in her hand. When I try to remove the mouse, she grumbles and immediately begins clicking again until she falls asleep again a few minutes later. 

She already has a laptop. At the time she was farming, she had Mafia Wars open on her laptop.  It was Zynga heaven for her. She did apologize however, I saw an old episode of Star Trek (the original series) in which Spock was torturing Chekov in a pain booth. Really.

A Pain booth...yeah...easier than celluar implosion!

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 5:18 AM

I'm sorry to be laughing at your suffering, quietrob, but this really is an entertaining thread. And, indeed, we can ALL relate.

I can't imagine anyone using my machine without asking me, nevermind actually closing any windows. My dear hubby is very respectful of my computer. He also hates every OS except DOS and WinXP. He sort of tolerates Win7, but since my computer has Win 8, it's pretty much completely safe -- in the same way that my pink socks are completely safe (and will not accidentally find themselves in his sock drawer or being stretched over his size 12 feet).

If he did something like close down a really long render, he'd have to cope with a fit that would probably measure on the Richter scale and cause tsunami warnings all over the Pacific coast. At the very least, he'd know he -owed- me.

So you have that. She now -owes- you. I hope you get something you really like from it. :)

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 6:09 AM
Site Admin

When my son was little he would mess with my poser scenes. At first I could just turn off the monitor and things were safe. Then he learned how to turn that on so I put on a simple screen saver with a password. I know screen savers take up memory and slows things down, but not as much as a 3 year old messing with things. 

The prescribed punishment for an intentionally canceled render when the offender has their own computer is you get to use their computer to re-do the render (you do have queue manager right?)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 7:05 AM

Well look on the bright side, she knows how to sort a performance issue with great efficiency :lol:
You have my sympathy, but at the same time, I can't control my devilish grin!

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 7:31 AM

Quote -

Well look on the bright side, she knows how to sort a performance issue with great efficiency :lol:
You have my sympathy, but at the same time, I can't control my devilish grin!

I figured everyone could relate and prolly had a story of their own or ideas of a suitable punishment.  Thankfully, I underplayed it and she is waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I should get something in return for her faux pax, indeed. :)

Queue Manager? That really works? (And no I don't have a render farm or even know what multiple render nodes is. I'm one guy with a slow butt computer and a girl who just flirted with death by shutting my two day render before it was done)!

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 7:49 AM

Is this better or worse than "Windows has installed updates!  Click here to (etc)..."

The reboot you didn't ask for.

"You have 15 seconds to sense a threat to your project in the middle of your Delta-level, full "Inception" dream state, wake, get out of bed, pee, get to your computer, and tell me to "Restart Later""   Actually, in the time you took to read that, your 15 seconds are up.  Forcing shutdown of "Poser."

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 11:35 AM

Quote - Is this better or worse than "Windows has installed updates!  Click here to (etc)..."

The reboot you didn't ask for.

"You have 15 seconds to sense a threat to your project in the middle of your Delta-level, full "Inception" dream state, wake, get out of bed, pee, get to your computer, and tell me to "Restart Later""   Actually, in the time you took to read that, your 15 seconds are up.  Forcing shutdown of "Poser."

or you could change the update settings to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" and avoid this pain.. quicker to change that setting than to pee.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 11:49 AM · edited Fri, 23 May 2014 at 11:52 AM

ya that's vista .think you can change the settings so it get the updates but woun't install until you say.

can't update if ya turn the internet off, right ?

when your shuting down win8 ,then it does updates .

realtime render engines are the furture.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 12:03 PM

same for XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, infact windows 8 is explained here - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-update-settings-windows-8.htm

*to quote... Simples.

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 2:14 PM

Pain booth is better option....

OUCH!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 2:30 PM · edited Fri, 23 May 2014 at 2:40 PM

Quote -   Queue Manager? That really works? (And no I don't have a render farm or even know what multiple render nodes is. I'm one guy with a slow butt computer... 

Yes, Queue Manager really works.  Obviously, it handles network rendering, but even if you only have one computer you may find it useful for running a batch of renders. 

Often when testing a new model, I'll set up a scene with several cameras, each focused on a different part of the model.  I can then send a render from each camera view to queue, and walk away.  QMgr will run the renders one by one on its own.  Currently, QMgr does not distribute a single render across a network.  It can distribute animation frames, or separate renders of a batch to each machine.

P.S.  In this context, each computer cooperating in network rendering is a "render node".  In Poser-speak, the term used is "host/local" for the controlling master machine and "remote" for all machines serving as slave units.  Only Poser Pro has Queue Manager.  If you have another machine or two available, you install only QMgr on those (not Poser) machines.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 3:06 PM

Just had another idea...Klingon Pain Sticks. Several of them.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 3:23 PM

Quote - Just had another idea...Klingon Pain Sticks. Several of them.

anyone for Klingon Morris Dancing?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 3:26 PM

http://render.otoy.com/

real time render engine for Poser

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 3:31 PM · edited Fri, 23 May 2014 at 3:37 PM

yes RorrKonn. spend a few hundred to solve the problem... or change one setting for free.

what wins?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 5:22 PM

Quote - yes RorrKonn. spend a few hundred to solve the problem... or change one setting for free.

what wins?

wasn't a post about windows auto updates.

was a post about realtime renders

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 5:29 PM

Quote - > Quote - yes RorrKonn. spend a few hundred to solve the problem... or change one setting for free.

what wins?

wasn't a post about windows auto updates.

was a post about realtime renders

he brought in updates. you brought in renders. I was pointing out an answer to him,   you just answered with out a quote/target. hence the confusion.

Latexluv ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 5:36 PM

Just think that for her Prom is coming someday, and you can casually bring this up and negotiate for a cheaper dress. You said, afterall, she is now waiting for the other shoe to drop. There are some wonderful make-it-at-home-yourself Prom dress patterns and maybe she could think about recycling those old curtains for you.......or just go with the Klingon Painsticks which bring instant gratification.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 5:55 PM

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 7:06 PM

There's so much passion here.  Right now I'm leaning toward using the Klingon Pain Stick and the Pain Booth at the same time. Why waste good idea's?

I have Poser 9. I have no queue manager, no gamma correction (poser 7 had gamma correction), no fitting room, no weight mapping.  It's what I get for being so cheapo.

Not so cheapo that I wouldn't entertain Octane Render.  It's expensive for sure. 250 dollars in American money.  However, my ATI Radeon HD 3200 isn't supported.  It looks I need at a 500 dollar video card to use Octane Render.  It appears I should've sold my soul for an overclocked Alienware Rig after all. My system is at least 6 years old. Stop Laughing!!

I do have my windows update setting under my iron fist. Now. Unfortunately I did have windows update hit on a render-while-you-sleep project.  I woke up just in time to see it hear Bill Gates laugh then watched my system reboot.

Gotta go. It's time to ask her how many lights does she see.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 8:44 PM

A friend told me a board with nails works like a charm every time. I think he was speaking from experience ;).

Laurie

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2014 at 9:18 PM

Quote - Gotta go. It's time to ask her how many lights does she see.

Oh! Good one!! LOL!!!

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 24 May 2014 at 2:46 AM

Quote - Not so cheapo that I wouldn't entertain Octane Render.  It's expensive for sure. 250 dollars in American money.  However, my ATI Radeon HD 3200 isn't supported.  It looks I need at a 500 dollar video card to use Octane Render.  It appears I should've sold my soul for an overclocked Alienware Rig after all. My system is at least 6 years old. Stop Laughing!!

It's why Blender is free ,just model ya some slut wear & ya good to go ;)

moriador ( ) posted Sat, 24 May 2014 at 8:46 AM

Quote - There's so much passion here.  Right now I'm leaning toward using the Klingon Pain Stick and the Pain Booth at the same time. Why waste good idea's?

I have Poser 9. I have no queue manager, no gamma correction (poser 7 had gamma correction), no fitting room, no weight mapping.  It's what I get for being so cheapo. 

Poser 9 doesn't have GC, but it does have weight mapping, so you can use the WM version of Antonia, or V4-WM, or Anastasia, etc.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 24 May 2014 at 11:24 AM

Quote - A friend told me a board with nails works like a charm every time. I think he was speaking from experience ;).

Laurie

Maybe a chalkboard with nails across the surface. More creative. Laurie thank you for your amazing freebies! They are mucho appreciated and give me hope that I might do the same.

I do admit to being behind regarding weightmapping. I understand the concept but I still work mostly with gen 3 characters. I also admit to some confusion between Antonia and Angela. Are there two versions of each? Different makers?

Out of nowhere a chocolate cake has appeared. Dang it. She knows my weaknesses.

Much credit to anyone else who got the "how many light do you see" reference.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 24 May 2014 at 1:12 PM · edited Sat, 24 May 2014 at 1:13 PM

The dreaded chocolate cake. You're doomed. LOL

And you're welcome ;).

Laurie

PS: There...are.....FOUR....lights! ;).

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 24 May 2014 at 3:17 PM

Just send her to Gul Madred,for some taspar eggs ;)

flibbits ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2014 at 2:31 PM

Never share a computer with anyone.  It's called a "personal" computer for a reason.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2014 at 5:30 PM

Quote - Never share a computer with anyone.  It's called a "personal" computer for a reason.

Ya but then they don't share there toys with you :crying:

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 4:26 AM

Quote - Never share a computer with anyone.  It's called a "personal" computer for a reason.

Share?  That implies that I have a choice.

Do Taspar Eggs taste good with cheese and sausage?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 9:31 AM

Quote - Do Taspar Eggs taste good with cheese and sausage?

Delicious  😉

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2014 at 11:00 AM

Quote - "Oh everything was sluggish. I closed it."

When you run Poser, open task manager and change the priority of the process to "below normal". When you render, the FFE renderer will inherit that priority. Then, unless you are really choking on memory, Poser shouldn't slow anything else down.

toastie ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2014 at 11:56 AM

Quote - ...... "Oh everything was sluggish. I closed it."

Tell me, my fellow rendernauts, is imploding her cells from the inside out too harsh a punishment?

No. This is precisely what cellular implosion was made for.  :biggrin:

quietrob ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2014 at 7:02 PM

Quote - > Quote - "Oh everything was sluggish. I closed it."

When you run Poser, open task manager and change the priority of the process to "below normal". When you render, the FFE renderer will inherit that priority. Then, unless you are really choking on memory, Poser shouldn't slow anything else down.

Now that is interesting. If I'm working on a render with high settings, is there a way for me to give the FireFly Render Engine even high priority? As it is, I'm shutting down everything I deem nonessential, Wacom Tablet, Itunes stuff, update stuff. Everything except my Anti Virus anything to give more memory and CPU cycles cuz I hate waiting.

It's been fun. If this thread ends, I want to thank everyone who chimed in.  In the end I was bought off by the chocolate cake. I'm so easy. So very easy.  Besides any girl that will watch Anime and Star Trek (The new ones) gets bonus anti cellular implosion points.

And yes Taspar Eggs taste good with Cheese and sausage.  Since like Gagh, they are best served live, you have to be fast or the chick will eat the cheese before you do.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2014 at 11:54 PM

Ya ,I've been bought off with desert more then once 😉

I'm old as dirt ,So I'll let Waffle House chase the taspar chickens. 😄

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.