Fri, Aug 2, 11:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 25 7:29 pm)

Subject: Attack of the Noobs, Pt. 1: Where the heck do I put these files?

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 01 June 2014 at 4:24 PM · edited Thu, 18 July 2024 at 8:42 PM

Hello again folks.  I'll apologize ahead of time for the upcoming series of Noob questions, but the .pdf and tutorials I've been able to find and skim through don't touch on some of the basics such as:

Now that I have this fantastic, new program to play with, and all sorts of free goodies to download and learn with, where the heck do I put those files?  I've looked at the file structure inside the Vue folder, but can't figure out if there is supposed to be a separate folder for atmospheres, surfaces, objects, and the rest of the stuff.

I'm eager to get to work and start doing some serious tinkering, and I'll figure out how to import the Poser files (can you import DAZ Studio files?), but the obvious Vue files...where do they go?

Thanks again!

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 01 June 2014 at 9:12 PM

Vue has a lot of different file format. The .vue format is the scene format. You can put it anywhere you want, just as long as you remember where you put it! Vue will normally offer to save them in Documents/e-on software/ Vue 2014/ Scenes/ Personal. This is the standard path on Windows.

blaineak ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2014 at 11:25 PM

With Vue open click Help then Overview or just click F1. The documentation is pretty good.

Djeser ( ) posted Fri, 06 June 2014 at 4:30 AM

When you use the automatic installer option for content, the installer will put the content in the location you specified when you installed the license; some browsers have a default download location specified in options, so if you can not find the downloads, you should always check there. If you are using Vista or Windows 7 or above (both 32 and 64 bit versions), when installing any modules or content, you need to right click on the content installer, and select "run as administrator" . For Windows 8 and above, you might try running in Windows 7 compatability mode. You will need to ensure you have popups enabled for the site for the content to download successfully. As well, if you have problems using one browser, try another; Firefox and Chrome browsers seem to work very well with the site.

If you have a problem using the content installer, or you purchased and downloaded directly from Vue, or can't locate the installed content, go to My Account>My Purchased Items>Show Purchases. If you don't see the list of the items individually, click the box for "Show all Purchases". Find the item in the purchases list, click on the
little Edit icon, and change to a zip file; make sure to click Apply when changing a setting. Unzip the file to the desktop and check to see if all contents are there;  you can then install the content ytheself. Also remember, many browsers have a default "downloads" folder that is in the browser preferences; you might want to check there for any content you can't find. Since the zip file/ installer setting is controlled by cookies, it is always possible for there to be a hiccup and so to have an installer download when you might want a zip file. In this case, just download the content installer to your desktop and click to start it. When it says where it will install, if that location is not where you want the content, click on "no" and the installer will open a window where you can browse to the folder location you prefer.

If you are not familiar with installing your own content, there will be folders that reflect the menu hierarchy in the store. The location of an item in the store reflects where you should place an item in that hierarchy in your own folders. By default, Windows 7 and above uses the document/e.on/vue x folder. Mac users will find /Users/username/Documents/e-on software/Vue x . If you look in ythe folders, you will see content files with a double tilde ~~ next to them. These are not actual items that are on the hard drive, but are virtual content that you can purchase in the store. They are like little thumbnail placeholders. When you click on items in ythe various
content browsers (Plant, Material, Object etc) and you see an item with the little Cornucopia3D symbol, that is one of these placeholder files. Items that are actually in the folders as content you have purchased will not have the double tilde next to them, and in the content browsers will not have a Cornucopia3D symbol.

If it's a *.atm file it goes in Atmospheres
If it's a *.bmp, *.jpg, *.tif file it goes in Bitmaps (unless it was included with an
*.obj file)
If it's a *.cld file it goes in Clouds.
If it's a *.clr file it goes in Color Maps.
If it's a *.flt file it goes in Filters.
If it's a *.fnc file it goes in Functions.
If it's a *.mat file it goes in Materials
If it's a *.vob file it goes in Objects
If it's a *.veg or *.tpf file it goes in Plants.
If it's a *.vue file it goes in Scenes.
If it's a *.txs file it goes in Text Styles.

If you have installed the content correctly, and when browsing in your system browser you can see the files but the Vue browsers (plant/object/etc) doesn't see them, you may just have to re-add the folder. Click on "new" in the object (or other) Vue browser, and browse to the folder with the new content in. The new content will be added into the browser.

Hope this helps!

Sgiathalaich

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.