Fri, Sep 20, 2:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Grainy shadow... I think...

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 1:33 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:39 AM

file_504913.png

The shadows everywhere else seem fine... but the shadows on the ball are grainy. Is it the textures, or the shadows. I cannot really tell. The texture is super simple, just color and a glossy node.

I need help please :(

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 1:41 PM

Shadow. Are you using ray-traced shadows? You can go into properties or parameters (can't remember which tab) and increase the shadow samples.

By the way, is this on another planet? You have three suns. (Two as lights behind the camera, and one evidently in the sky behind the chair.)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 1:48 PM

good point bagginsbill LOL.
But I am still learning lighting and don't know how to set up a single "sun" light, and it look realistic.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 1:50 PM

it appears to be default poser lite set: 3 directional (shadow-map) and one IBL.  I can't see grainy shadows on ball.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 2:32 PM

And it's the properties tab.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 7:11 PM

Thank you by the way. I increased it to 50. And I took out the other 2 lights and have just the 'main' one. The graininess has gone away. Now I just ned to work on setting up that single light so that it looks right lol.

Thanks again!

Kalypso ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 8:16 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

While a single light is best for sunlight you really should also be using the environment sphere especially for outdoor renders.   Head over to BB's free stuff and read all about it.   Your renders will thank you :)

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/environment-sphere

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 8:27 PM

so... I don't need any lights? just the env. sphere???

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 8:56 PM · edited Thu, 12 June 2014 at 8:57 PM

If it's cloudy you can use the sphere only, 😄  but use the sphere with one infinite light for the Sun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Kalypso ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 9:46 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Quote - so... I don't need any lights? just the env. sphere???

As long as you're using a version of Poser that has IDL.   Do a search in the forums here and you'll be sure to find a plethora of information on lighting with the Env sphere or emitters.  

If it's a bit daunting at first you may want to try the Sunlight product at RDNA which has it all set up for you but you really should read BB's tutorials and try out his sample scene.   When you have total control of lighting your scene you'll almost always get the results you want.  Oh, and pick up BB's light meter too.   It will help you light your scene correctly and avoid overexposed or very dark renders.

http://www.runtimedna.com/SunLIGHT.html

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 10:59 PM

file_504920.png

Well, this is what I get without any lights and just the env. dome from bagginsbill site.

It's too dark :(

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2014 at 11:06 PM

Add an infinite light for the Sun....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 13 June 2014 at 8:36 AM

And set the infinite light intensity to approximately 80%.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 June 2014 at 10:34 AM

"80%" - yea sometimes. Other times it should be 200%.

It depends on whether you're simulating a camera exposure set for shade or for sunlight. If you are "photographing" somebody under an umbrella, the exposure will at least triple, possibly more. Depends on the ratio of ambient to direct light.

To produce the same effect in Poser, which has no "exposure" dial, we adjust the light intensities instead.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 13 June 2014 at 1:43 PM

in addition to above, try increasing specular on sun light if things aren't shiny enough.  increasing intensity (diffuse and specular) may result in too much diffuse.

luckybears ( ) posted Tue, 17 June 2014 at 5:20 PM

The shadow looks fine to me. The problem seems more the highlights on the ball. I would look at reducing the specular values on it, maybe reducing it to something like 0.1

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.