Wed, Sep 18, 10:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Constrain groups in Cloth Room

VolcanicMink ( ) posted Tue, 24 June 2014 at 12:18 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 10:57 PM

file_505180.PNG

This has been my first shot at Cloth Room dynamics without a tutorial. On a pair of pants, I want the leg hems to stay in place to create a soft effect over the top of a boot. The waist band stays in place, but the leg hems move outwards. I tried using the same material zone for both left and right, and when that didn't work I gave them separate material zones. The results were the same.

I do not have a full understanding of the number of drape frames necessary, but changes there made no difference either.

Pants were modeled in Silo, "clothified" in PoserPro 2012.

aRtBee ( ) posted Tue, 24 June 2014 at 12:41 AM

tutorials can be found in http://www.book.artbeeweb.nl/?book=cloth-room

it looks like while gravity is pulling things down, the stretch forces are pushing / pulling the lower part of the pants outwards. Perhaps reducing forces of increasing density might make a difference, perhaps the wireframe view can reveal somewhat more too.

In the meantime, the persons legs should stop the pants from moving too far, assuming they are a proper collision target. And I don't see the relationship with Constraint Groups yet. The vertices in a cloth constraint group are 'forced' to follow the motions of the vertices of the object that they are constrained to, instead of the motions derived from the cloth-sim calculations. So it might make sense to constrain the waist band, and perhaps those leg-bands as well (although I don't see the need for that yet). 

Everything that's made of the same material can be put in the same (material) group.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 24 June 2014 at 3:57 AM

Try sssigning the hem materials to the constrained cloth group and have the pants set to collide with the boots.

If you want to record an animation from say frames 1 to 30 you would need the cloth to be fully relaxed into position prior to frame one. This is where you would use the (pre)drape frames option. Generally 15 to 30 frames will be enough.

If you aim is to produce a pose for static render then I suggest that predraping the frames will not help much so just produce a simulation of about 30 frames. You may find that the "best" result occurs at frame 25 so you can scrub back to that for the render.

If you were to just use the drape frames option you would only be able to view the final result, not any intermediate frames.

Hope that helps :)

VolcanicMink ( ) posted Tue, 24 June 2014 at 3:06 PM

Since this was my first real project in the Cloth room, to keep the render simple I didn't include the boots. But the purpose of the "cuffs" was to create a stopping point as if there were boots that the cloth would puff out over. I'm not using poses yet either, just to keep things simple while I figure this out.

I will try adjusting the controls like density. If that doesn't help, I'll add boots and see what happens. On collisions, I did use ignore head, hands, and feet. I assume that "feet" means feet, and not feet and shins...

Thank you both. 

cfpage ( ) posted Tue, 24 June 2014 at 5:49 PM

The boots must be in the "collide" with a higher offset,  is this for an animation?

VolcanicMink ( ) posted Tue, 24 June 2014 at 7:06 PM

I'm not into animation at this point. My goal is illustration.

VolcanicMink ( ) posted Tue, 24 June 2014 at 7:17 PM

It seems to work now. I adjusted the density and left the drape at 0.

It even works with poses!! (I know that's what it's supposed to do, but the fact that it did it is quite exciting.)

aRtBee ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2014 at 1:31 AM

good ! have fun in Cloth Room.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.