Sun, Sep 22, 3:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: The LONGEST RENDER EVER!!!!!!

PaoPow ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2001 at 2:35 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:46 AM

I'm currently doing a render that is goign to take a total of 38 hours (thank god for the resume thingy). How long was you're longest render ever?

TomDowd ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2001 at 3:38 PM

Hah! I got you beat - I'm rendering now for the DAZ calendar contest and I'm looking at ....(does the math since its rendering to disk)... about 150 hours. :-) I'm going to kill it soon and start it up again when I leave Friday night after setting Lightning NetRender up on six or so machines here at work...should knock it down to about 25 hours per machine. :-) TomD

hewsan ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2001 at 8:18 PM

On a P200 w 128 megs RAM... a 2400 x 3000 stormy ocean scene with a message in a bottle - about 7 days...

Wadus ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2001 at 9:34 PM

I remember my old AMD 133 with 48M RAM would take forever to render the simplest scenes(like 1 mountain and a water plane)...I would let it render overnight for a 640x480 file and sometimes that still wasnt enough... miss that setup tho it was rock solid, didnt crash near as much as the one I have now...

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2001 at 4:48 AM

I've taken a month to render one pic, but it was actually only on for an hour or two per day, for reasons I won't go into.

Schurby ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2001 at 8:13 AM

I'm rendering one thats been cooking for 10 days. It's now at 85%.Thats just the background. Then I start rendering just the poser charaters and put it altogether in photoshop. I have a Dell 400 with 384 ram. But am getting a 1.7 Gig built for me right now. I'm sick of these log renders.

Schurby

PaoPow ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2001 at 2:36 PM

Sweet jesus. I thouht I had it rough. I never thought I would see a one frame pic that took longer than 3 days to render.

mmattb ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2001 at 2:57 PM

i have a dell 8100 with 1.4ghz and 512 ram, i had a 7200x5400 image rendering for 18days!!1 It was a bunch terrrain and fog effects. The terrain had high-rez textures applied...and to think, this pc renders at about 9.5 times faster than my last one

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2001 at 7:38 PM

I rendered an animation that had volumetric and reflective materials it took 52 hours i still have it on vhs as part of one of my first demo reels.

My website

YouTube Channel

Deathbringer ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2001 at 1:41 AM

I had one take 1100 hours. It was 33X22 at 300dpi.. that was on a AMD 450 K6/2

mmattb ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2001 at 9:05 PM

1100 hours!?! how many days is that?!

Watcher ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2001 at 11:55 PM

All of you finally made me change my mind. I`ll never use Bryce again...

bobhobz ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2002 at 10:23 PM

Man, why does Bryce take so long to render? The single biggest improvement they could make to Bryce is a faster render speed. Aside from getting a huge render farm like the one I have at work (10 dual 400 mhz Pentiums) is there anything on the market for us reg'lar folks to buy? Bob

ajtooley ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2002 at 8:26 PM

I remember back in the olden days when big renders for me were 38 hours. :) Actually, my longest render was 22 days straight. It was a poster-sized version of the Fountain Flats image in my gallery. What slowed it down is something you can't hardly see on the little bitty one in the gallery: splashing water peeking out from behind about a dozen volume clouds. Yikes! Bryce's long renders bother me, but not overmuch; I accept it as the price I pay for complex images. But I did get a faster computer to cut my renders down to 11 days. :)

bobhobz ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2002 at 9:46 PM

Well, I guess there's no way around it. From the sound of it, it's normal to have renders that last several hours, if not days. Do you leave your computer running for the whole time? Another question involves demo-reels. If all you do is 3d models and scenes, what sort of demo-reel can you do with just still images? The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning on looking for work in Hollywood later this year. Bob

ajtooley ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2002 at 8:39 AM

I do leave the computer running the whole time, under the theory that the more it can process in one sitting, the sooner I can be done with it. I'm helped by having another computer for internet and other uses. As for the demo reel, I suppose you could always set up a slide show, but why not produce some animations with Bryce? With a little digging (I haven't given it much thought, so I can't give much information here), you can find the proper aspect ratio, resolution and frame rate to produce an animation that can be output to video.

mmattb ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2002 at 3:04 PM

Yeah, its pretty normal to render for so long...the big commercial renderings take big UNIX servers with several hundered processors all night to render a view of a single scene in animated movies like final fantasy and shrek.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.