Sun, Oct 6, 9:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Swapping and managing Morphs for Mil2 and Mil4 figures on a Mac

shante ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2014 at 12:57 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:12 AM

I started out in Poser 4 on an old 8600 PoswrMac (pre Intel Based procssors) and loved swapping morphs between Mil2 figures especially heavily morphed V2 figures I used .obj based morphs on. It was great because I only had to create one single heavily morphed V2 and could easily transfer all my loved morphs to other figures either freebies or commercially available.

I used to use Morph Manager for the Mac then. A simple utility even I managed to figure out.

Now I am on a MacBook Pro running SnowLeopard (10.6+) in Poser 7 and Poser Pro 2014 and found myself desiring to be able to do the same thing. I have many Mil2 figures, one in particular is the old Cleopatra by Handspan which is a teen-like figure for V1), I ant to bring out of my Runtime folder for a render but need more morphs for her. If I could merge the old V1/V2 figure with this base stripped character it would be great.

As many have come to know about me, I have a learning issue with new complex stuff so whatever I use has to be simple enough for me to wrap my brain matter around.

Because Morph Manager no longer works in my new environment. I need to find some other way of transfering these morphs. If anyone knows of a simple easy to learn application or way I would apprciate knowing about it.

Jaager ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2014 at 3:31 PM · edited Wed, 10 September 2014 at 3:40 PM

Everything is V1/V2, right?  There is no situation where you are trying to adapt morphs from one geometry based figure to another?  You are just wishing to use a set of morphs on a different character of V1/V2?  The following works peachy keen on V4, but I have not messed with V1/V2 in a looong time, so I have not used this on them.  Just remember - V1/V2 morphs do not work on V4 Nor V4 morphs on V1/V2.

Get Binary Morph Editor (PMDedit) by D3D.

It will:

convert CR2/PZ2 based deltas into a PMD file.

Generate an INJ (&REM) PZ2 that you can use on any figure that uses the same Geometry.

Give you the option to have a Master control dial in BODY for each morph.

With the Set Initial Value selected, have a valueParm in BODY and targetGeom in the involved groups that can be further edited to have the morph dial show the name you choose and set limits and trackingScale to functional values.  (The higher the trackingScale value, the less turning needed, but the fewer variations between 0 and 1.0.)( Set and Force limits and you do not over shoot when turning a dial.)

Assign each morph to a group if you wish to have them organized.

Rather than having to copy morphs into each CR2, you make one pose file and can use that on any CR2 in the Geometry family.

An OBJ morph can be directly converted to a PMD file, but a separate PP2 for each isolated group (or the group that is the morph) must be available. I cannot get it to work using the full figure Geometry.  Poser will generate a PP2 for a group easily enough from the Imported group.  You can even Export an isolated group from Poser to use for the Import, but I trust UVMapper more for group isolation.

shante ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2014 at 5:33 PM

Wow are you the same Jaager Master  morph creator for V1 & V2 from yesteryear?

If so, Man I had all your morphs back then though there were some I could not use because they required UUencoder or UV mapper or another version of Morph Manager I could not use at the time, many worked and I still use them from time to time when I want to take an old V2 for a run around the New Poser render stage!

And if the same Morph Master, THank for all your generous gifts vor V2. She would not have been the same without them!

Yes everything is V1/V2. I am not the sharpest nail in the bag unfortunately but I do know better than to mix appples and cucumbers for all this stuff!  LOL

So is this PMDedit a scripting tool/ Because f it is it just went over my head. My brain is dead and there are a lot of functions in Poser I never learned to do and just as many if not a ton more, I still don't know how to do.  :(

Quote - Everything is V1/V2, right?  There is no situation where you are trying to adapt morphs from one geometry based figure to another?  You are just wishing to use a set of morphs on a different character of V1/V2?  The following works peachy keen on V4, but I have not messed with V1/V2 in a looong time, so I have not used this on them.  Just remember - V1/V2 morphs do not work on V4 Nor V4 morphs on V1/V2.

Get Binary Morph Editor (PMDedit) by D3D.

It will:

convert CR2/PZ2 based deltas into a PMD file.

Generate an INJ (&REM) PZ2 that you can use on any figure that uses the same Geometry.

Give you the option to have a Master control dial in BODY for each morph.

With the Set Initial Value selected, have a valueParm in BODY and targetGeom in the involved groups that can be further edited to have the morph dial show the name you choose and set limits and trackingScale to functional values.  (The higher the trackingScale value, the less turning needed, but the fewer variations between 0 and 1.0.)( Set and Force limits and you do not over shoot when turning a dial.)

Assign each morph to a group if you wish to have them organized.

Rather than having to copy morphs into each CR2, you make one pose file and can use that on any CR2 in the Geometry family.

An OBJ morph can be directly converted to a PMD file, but a separate PP2 for each isolated group (or the group that is the morph) must be available. I cannot get it to work using the full figure Geometry.  Poser will generate a PP2 for a group easily enough from the Imported group.  You can even Export an isolated group from Poser to use for the Import, but I trust UVMapper more for group isolation.

Jaager ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2014 at 7:08 PM

Yes, I made morphs for V1/V2, so you are welcome.

PMD  are external binary morphs.  They work quite well in PP2014.

The morphs will live in a PMD file that PMDedit or Poser itself generates.

( * = the new name that you choose. )

If you enable " use external binary morphs" in PP2014 preferences.   when you open a V2 cr2 with the morphs that you want and save it back to the library, Poser will generate a *.pmd (with the new *.cr2)  which will contain the morphs and the *.cr2 will have a line of code at the beginning (and again later) to call up the morphs when you reopen it.  Do that for each CR2 that has different morphs in it - each saved with a different new name,  of course.   You will now have several PMD files.

You can use PMDedit to copy all of these morphs into one pmd file if you wish.  If the name is *.pmd, they will all appear when you open *.cr2.

This is not as versitile as using an INJ pose but it is a less involved use of the PMDedit utility.  PMDedit does not need or use Poser.

Start PMDedit.

Open *.pmd

Click "Add PMD"  and find one of the other new PMD.

Highlight the morphs you want to add and click OK

Do this for each new PMD.  If you get morphs that you do not want, highlight and delete.

Save

A PMD file is just the deltas of the morph.

If you wish to keep the JCM function with MillieJCM, you will need to use that cr2 as the base - the *.cr2.  The JCM script can be in an INJ pose, but you must edit that in by hand. The INJ poses that PMDedit makes only contain very basic information - one level of grouping (no tree), the top level dial names, and a code line that makes a FBM dial in BODY.  It is only a good starting point if you want more involved pose files.

You can use D3D Poser File Editor to make very sophisticated INJ poses, but it helps if you understand the nuts and bolts in the guts of Poser Library files.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 10:38 AM

file_507187.jpg

**"Because Morph Manager no longer works in my new environment. I need to find some other way of transfering these morphs. If anyone knows of a simple easy to learn application or way I would apprciate knowing about it."**

I still run the old windows based morph manager.exe by "netherworks", in the X11 windows emulator that came with OS 10.4
that is how I recently resurrected my old M2 based self  clone
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=4172569&ebot_calc_page#message_4172569

is there no way to run an old win59 era .exe on your mac pro
Shante??

short of doing the whole dual boot thing I mean.

My website

YouTube Channel

shante ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 2:27 PM

Quote - "Because Morph Manager no longer works in my new environment. I need to find some other way of transfering these morphs. If anyone knows of a simple easy to learn application or way I would apprciate knowing about it."

I still run the old windows based morph manager.exe by "netherworks", in the X11 windows emulator that came with OS 10.4
that is how I recently resurrected my old M2 based self  clone
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=4172569&ebot_calc_page#message_4172569

is there no way to run an old win59 era .exe on your mac pro
Shante??

short of doing the whole dual boot thing I mean.

Dude, I have no idea. I am now running OS 10.6.X(SnowLeopard) and have no idea how to run emulators and such. On my old iMac G4 i could run Rosetta environment Rebooting into OS9 through that so I could run P4 and any of the utility apps for it then in emulation. It was crappy and buggy and crash prone because of the way it all parsed out memory issues. THe OS 10 verion then new and though was allotted over a gig of RAM, it would not address more than that resulting in the subsequent crashes and lock-ups. I got so frustrated and unable to afford the newer version of Poser that wpould run native in OS 10, I stopped trying to use it to run Poser and ised it for retouching and other graphics and of course as you remember, browsing the net!  Remember?!  :)

So I never really learned the intricacies of Poser and related apps and still don't know sheitz about it all. I sort of create by rote like a blind man in the mist wishing I could better grasp concepts to being my stuff to a higher level of creativity but frustrated I just can't seem to figure out stuff as clearly detailed as what you and Jaager here have tried helping me with!

Pleas guys don't take this personally I REALLY appreciate the generous offer to help and the timw it took to outline this stuff but as usual just thinkng about what I need to do makes my eyes cross and brain numb!

noxiart ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 2:53 PM · edited Thu, 11 September 2014 at 2:55 PM

Seriously, Folks ?

PMDs and Morph Manager ? 

;-0

He wrote he has PP-2014, so....

Load the "Donor" figure.

Load the "Recipient" figure.

Select "Recipient" figure.

Then in the menu:

Figure--> Copy Morphs From...-->Select "Donor" Figure.

Click "OK"

Select the Morphs you want to transfer.

Click "OK".

Wait 5 seconds.

Done.

(Save Recipient figure to Library so you don't have to do it again)

Well, I admit I'm on Windows, but I doubt that the Mac version of PP-2014 lacks this handy feature.

(If it does, don't bite my head off but rather blame SM for it, M'kay ?)

:-)

shante ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 4:45 PM

Sounds a lot easier to me.

But, what the hell is a Doner figure (I assume it is the figure with the morphs you want to copy the morphs FROM and where is all this process done? I mean what Poser Room is all this morph transfering going to be happening in??

Somehow, with my limited experience in Posers' more esoteric and complexly advanced fundctions there seem to be a few steps missing here. If I can figure out those set-up steps, and thus figure out where to go from there. I will be what the Duck Dynasty Patriarch is want to say:
"..........Happy, happy happy!"   LOL

noxiart ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 4:59 PM · edited Thu, 11 September 2014 at 5:03 PM

Yep, the DONOR figure is the one containing the morphs you want to transfer.

The RECIPIENT figure is the one you want to transfer the morphs to.

So, in your case, V2 with all her morphs would be the donor, and Cleopatra the recipient.

No need for extra rooms, everything happens right in the Pose room.

Load your "Cleopatra" V2, then regular V2.

Then select Cleopatra, click on "Figure" in the menu-bar and transfer the morphs from regular V2 like described above.

Good Luck.

shante ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 5:03 PM

OK i couldn't wait for an answer. I tried it as I waited.

I loaded a V4+ character I use all the time that has many additional ++ character, and sizing morphs and a base PERFECT V4 figure sent me by Maeipei ( the base figure to recieve all their custom body shaping morphs). This recipient character has no additional morphs outside the original base V4 out of the box set. Selected Body and copied morphs from the first one when prompted to the recipient body. A window pops up asking what morphs I want copied and they were all checked, So assuming I was on-target I clicked OK and waited. after a while I chekked the recipient body and voila-------no morphs were copied over.:(

Maybe the recipient figure has to have the same base set (Muscle Morhs, or Creature Morphs or Plus Plus morphs included for ALL the DONOR morphs to be transfered from the heavily morphed DONOR?

Now that was V4 which is a more complex little beasite.

So now I am going to try V2: the donor with all the additional Jaager and other morphs included via .obj based morph targets and a Recipient base V2 out of the box with no additional morphs included. Maybe it will work with her?   :)

noxiart ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 5:09 PM · edited Thu, 11 September 2014 at 5:11 PM

Well, V4 has a lot of "fake" morphs that are not regular morphs but actually ERC -dial settings.

That could very well be the reason the transfer didn't work as expected.

Also a lot of V4 morphs are hidden by default, so perhaps the morphs did transfer, but the morphs were still hidden?

I guess the safest way with V4 is to first spawn a new full body morph of your character and then transfer THAT morph over instead of a gazillion of dial settings.

I'm pretty sure there are no such problems with V2, because all of her morphs are actual morphs and not ERC-settings.

shante ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 5:43 PM

Quote - Well, V4 has a lot of "fake" morphs that are not regular morphs but actually ERC -dial settings.

That could very well be the reason the transfer didn't work as expected.

Also a lot of V4 morphs are hidden by default, so perhaps the morphs did transfer, but the morphs were still hidden?

I guess the safest way with V4 is to first spawn a new full body morph of your character and then transfer THAT morph over instead of a gazillion of dial settings.

I'm pretty sure there are no such problems with V2, because all of her morphs are actual morphs and not ERC-settings.

First of all why are there Invisible V4 morphs in the figure and what might they be?

Also, tried a heavily morphed version of V2 I use a lot and transfered to a V2 figure by Handspan called Alice. I can activate the dial functions in a selected body part by body part ok but if I select BODY on Alice after transfering the morphs from the Donor the body part dials no longer when the BODY is selected and even on a body part by body part basis, some of the dials also don't work all the time...body part by body part anyway. Why would they work by individually selected body part and not FBM selected body part by body part? THis is just a curiosity point here and not a complaint. THis is by far the best solution for me so far so as you can imagine I am quite Happy, Happy, Happy!   LOL

Also, how would the morphs for v4 be made to work? I mean what considerations would have to be implemented between the Donor and Recipient figures to ensure the transfer?

noxiart ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 6:34 PM · edited Thu, 11 September 2014 at 6:35 PM

Glad it worked with V2.

The "Body" morph is also an ERC-morph, and it seems this built in morph transfer has problems with transferring the code.

But you can always dial the separate body part morphs to 1.0 and then spawn a new "Body" morph in Poser.

As for V4, click on the little white triangle in the right, top corner of the parameter tab to unhide all her hidden morphs.

There are hundreds of them, all ERC controlled and that seems to confuse the morph transfer.

Unlike V2 or V3, V4 is quite complicated internally.

As I said, to transfer her morphs, dial the shape you want, then spawn it as a new morph. This eliminates all the ERC stuff, turning that shape into a "real" morph.

Should be no problem transferring that morph then from one V4 to another.

shante ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 7:14 PM

thank you ver much. this was the easest new poser function i never used to learn. so, while i have you attention and since you gave such easy to follow functional advice i could easily wrap my dying gray matter around how about a simple lesson in creating self illuminating props in poset 2014 that drag me more easily through all that advanced material node thingies too?  LOL

shante ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 11:11 PM

OOPS!

Apparently, it seems that though I was excited it went great it doesn't seem to want to ACTUALLY render. Poser 2014 crashes mid render every time. I have spent hours frelling with this sheitz nd all for nothing. The usual techno-waste I have been completely overwhelmed by since I bought my first damn computer. I spend more damn time trying to figure stuff out and so veey little actually doing any creative work.

Never saw that before.I even rebooted the computer so the finder would refresh and reset before relaunching Poser 2014 and trying again and again t did the same thing: 

Nothing good.

So, I think I will do what I have always done in the past, just give the frell up and saw it just wasn't menat fo me to revist the frustrating past. Move forward with whatever little I do nd pretend I don't want to learn more shit!

thanks again to all for the help.

Now, where the hell did I do with my crayons! 

noxiart ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 7:47 AM

That's a bummer.

Sadly, as I'm using Poser on Windows, I can't really give you any qualified advice about why PP-2014 keeps crashing on your Mac.

You have the latest service release installed ?

The render settings are "reasonable" ? Using the highest settings on everything can sometimes drain all of your RAM and thus crash Poser.

But you really should open a ticket with SM's support about that, they are the only ones being able to tell you what might be going wrong.

But you could still try to open a copy of V2 with the transferred morphs in Poser 7.

I don't think the morph transfer adds anything to the figure that isn't compatible with Poser 7, too.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 8:16 AM

Post the render settings for a quick analysis, something PP2014 is seeing is not agreeing with it.  But it can be anything.  Opening a ticket with SM would be the right approach, however you must provide as much detailed information as possible for the techs to narrow down the problems.  This takes time and will not always yield the best solutions.  Post some screencaps and make sure the most current SR is installed on the MAC.

shante ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 12:38 PM

I usually have my epiphanies at night, powering down or early in the AM while powering up my gray matter and it occured to me that what I my have had to do was install the newly morphed V2 into my library, cllosed poser and relaunch bringing the new figure back into the stage. I did save the scene in case of a crash or freeze, been working with Poser long enough I just don't trust the damn app and good thing too.

What I was doing during the render process was trying to render the original Donor morphed V2 along side the new Morph Recipient V2. Each time it crashed it had both figures in place in the stage.

Could that have caused the problem?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.