Wed, Sep 18, 11:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: useful for all Keyboard Shortcut

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 2:10 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 4:21 AM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

I do not remember if I ever added this link or shared it but thought I would since it has come in handy for learning many of the keyboard shortcuts in Blender

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/useful-keyboard-shortcuts.php

Katsbits created a keyboard short cut that you can download in several formats and print to use to become more fimilar with most of the standard shortcuts in Blender. I myself have it printed out and on a prominent space on my desk and still refer to often. It is a handy tool I feel for not only beginners but experts alike. 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Cybermonk ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 5:42 PM

Nice, thanks dude. :)

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

HMorton ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 8:20 PM

Thank you, Lobo3433!  Very useful!

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 8:26 PM

Your welcome I need to put up a sticky thread so everyone can contribute helpful links and list of useful Add-ons that are available for Blender

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

HMorton ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 8:36 PM

That would be so cool!  Yes, hotkeys are the single most important thing to learn for using any software, but especially Blender.  Great resource.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 8:41 PM

Out of all the software I use from MS Office to Adobe stuff I think Blender is the only one that has made me really look at and learn hotkeys that even now I am looking for the hotkey layouts in other programs. I can slap the back of my hand having been a techy for so long have always really hated hotkeys but there you go Blender has converted me into a hotkey user

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

HMorton ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 9:01 PM

I used to watch Blender tutorials, and think to myself I can never learn it, because I have a hard time memorizing hotkeys.  But once you force yourself to use them for a couple models, it's amazing how much faster you can work, and how easy Blender soon becomes to use.

Same with Photoshop.  I've seen tutorials by Photoshop pros where they work SO fast, I wasn't aware Photoshop could be used to do things so quickly.  It's almost like if you are going to follow tutorials, you must know the hotkeys, or you won't be able to keep up.

Are there any graphics or 3D softwares out there which don't make use of hotkeys?  I'm sure I'd want to keep far away from those, if there are any that exist.  I can't imagine having to constantly use a UI for things like navigating around a scene, or executing commands.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 9:34 PM

I dont know of any that dont use hotkeys off the top of my head but one thing I have found myself doing is expecting now the 3D software I use had the same hotkeys for navigation the num-pad hotkeys for Blender just seem so natural that it is diffcult going from app to another. I know that each software has to have their own uniqueness but sometimes I wish somethings were just plain universal. I came across and Youtube channel for Photoshop tutorials called Blue Lightning TV and he doesnt only say exactly which hotkey combination but the tutorials are really great. On average maybe 10 to 15 minute long for creating some really awesome effects and art in photoshop just using the tools in Photoshop. I know a tad off topic but look up the channel think you might find it to your liking.

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 4:20 AM

if I got the right name "truespace" had very few shortcuts but 100's of pop out menus with likkle pics on

shame 'cos it was a powerfull proggy in its day just a pita to use

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 10:37 AM

I remeber Truespace if I am not mistaken PhilC used to or still has a tutorial set on his website for Truspace. I think at the time he was the only Modeler I knew who used it to create Poser Content and I still have a copy of it archived somewhere on a HD when it was still free when Microsoft bought it out. It was one of the few programs that needed a 3rd party plugin to be able to export and import OBJ

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 11:10 AM

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh peeps might work we old ;-)

although my first intro to comps was in the 70's

by the 90's I had a wrist watch with more power

shortcuts in the DOS days was more or less mandatory rofl

(hope I dont get in trouble for this )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUme9O4bSsM

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 11:27 AM

My intro to computers was using and learning to program on Commodore Pet and keypunch cards for writing simple programs back in high school lol. Figuring I would never used what I learned went into the Military and became a grunt should have stuck with the key punch cards might have made my millon by now

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 11:39 AM

lol I did comps in Artillery ;-)

fastest thing I had in skool was a slip stick(slide rule) [would need a magnifing glass nowadays]

zandar ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2014 at 4:35 PM

Quote - I remeber Truespace if I am not mistaken PhilC used to or still has a tutorial set on his website for Truspace. I think at the time he was the only Modeler I knew who used it to create Poser Content and I still have a copy of it archived somewhere on a HD when it was still free when Microsoft bought it out. It was one of the few programs that needed a 3rd party plugin to be able to export and import OBJ

TrueSpace was software ahead of the time for the day and age. I used it decades ago with the Amiga computer. It was based on 3D widgets, which many pro software use now, but it had short keys too, like all others.  You could program new ones if you wished to.

Poser does not use keyboard shortcuts to know of. This is a software which very bad to use for the rapid production and scene making.  Poser is worst for industry standard UI and shortcuts.  It's very long way to do things, even in the shaders.  It does not come with good shaders, you need to make from scratch everything.  Which is funny, when you think about it.  The software is stock for all other things, but then materials you are left to know algebra to make.

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 1:58 PM

never knew Philc had a tut but doubt I'll try to find truespace again (too many dvds)

but it did have some stuff thats just getting to the forefront now

poser does have quite a few shortcuts but most are "pretty pretty" not useful

blender is AWESOME for shortcuts just a right click and you add your own(carefully or may wipe one )

great if you have a multi button mouse ;-)

loop cuts merge origin to  all under my thumb rofl ;-)

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 2:23 PM

Yes PhilC has a tutorial CD that he sells that if I recall was modeling in Truespace dont know if he still sells it or not but would be on his site

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 2:38 PM

not 100% but dont think I bought anything from him so thats why I never seen it

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 5:10 PM

I have his Clothing Designer Package when it first came out and once tool I found pretty useful with in that Package was the OBJ2CR2 it is pretty acurate for grouping clothing made for characters I think it is actually more acurate than the AutoGroup Editor which is also handy

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 5:20 PM

lol in "that" group I tested my grouping against both!! dif peeps did them lol ;-) 

I "think" I was better, they was lots FASTER (same mesh)

all I can say is if you got the cash buy

if you want perfick do it by hand rofl

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 5:25 PM

I only invest in tools when they are on a great sale and I have coupons lol

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 5:51 PM

ha coupons....................

never used one (really never)

but was a tv proggy on other day, girl got all her shopping (60 sumat dollars, yeah in yankland)

and the store OWED her money ok was only a likkle bit few cents

but WOW shops can pay ME to go there !! tell me more

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 8:05 PM

Coupons can be deal breakers sometimes Heck I got a Poser Pro when it first came out because I got a deal breaking coupon that let me go from Poser 7 to  Poser Pro for a third of the price

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Pol ( ) posted Thu, 18 September 2014 at 5:51 PM

Thank yo so much for the link to the keyboard shortcuts.  That's great.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 18 September 2014 at 6:25 PM

Your very welcome Pol

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.