Sun, Oct 6, 6:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Mouse recommendations?

jwarndt ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 12:16 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 5:00 PM

OK, I've finally got enough of this animation thing figured out to have some cautious optimism that I'll actually be able to finish a project I've been asking for a lot of help with here. (Thanks to everybody who's commented!) But now this little Case Logic brand optical mouse I bought last week has become unusable for anything but the simplest tasks. I should have done my homework. It gets terrible on-line reviews.

Does anybody have any recommendations for the best mouse to use with Poser? Would a optical or roller ball type be better? I can't work with this damn thing.

(I'm running Poser 7 on a windows xp desktop.)

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 12:28 AM

mouse ? pro Artist use a wacom tablet intusos pro medium or better

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

piersyf ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 12:36 AM

I'm using a logitech optical mouse. It works just fine. Tablets are cool (check the new Cintiq) but very expensive. And unless the tablet has an active screen, there is a significant learning curve.

For animation, the touch sensitivity of a tablet is not needed.

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 4:19 AM

Ditto on Logitech optical.  Good enough.  I preferred a mechanical mouse for graphics work, but you can't get new ones any more.   All optical mice are a bit 'slippery' compared to a ball mouse.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ghonma ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 4:30 AM

Razer Deathadder or Logitech G7. Former if you like light mice you can flick around, latter if you like a heavy mouse you can control with your whole hand. Both are excellent quality and great for long hours of use.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 6:42 AM

Logitech G600 here - great customiseable tracking, lots of programmable buttons for shortcuts...

hornet3d ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 6:48 AM

Logitech Marble Trackball in my case but then I have little room on the desk with all the other stuff.  That is used in conjunction with a 3Dconnection navigator which I would be lost without. 

I do have a Wacom Tablet as well but I only really use it for modelling. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 7:51 AM

...ditto the 3D mouse, great addition to a setup.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 9:18 AM

I mainly use a Razer Naga gaming mouse (17 button wired) and a Wacom tablet.

Many of my other systems have Microsoft cordless mice. They work fine and are under $20 bucks.

As other have said there are lots of mice that will do the job, for just about any budget.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

jwarndt ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 4:30 PM

I bought an inexpensive logitech wireless mouse at walmart this afternoon. Not the cheapest on the shelf, but almost. And it actually works for selecting and moving keyframes in the animation pallette! And I was afraid my neighbors were going to call Mental Health on me for screaming and cursing at my computer when I was using that other mouse.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 9:19 PM

One more thing you might want to consider is getting rechargable batteries for it and a charger.

I picked up a charger with batteries from a dollar store and they still work fine years later.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 12:04 AM · edited Mon, 29 September 2014 at 2:03 AM

I use a standard corded 2-button logitech w/ scroll wheel (technically 3 buttons since the wheel clicks too) that came with my $14 logitech keyboard from newegg.

I've never gotten along well with wireless mice, or keyboards. The batteries tend to go out pretty fast, and they can lose signal even with new batteries. Easily interfered with by other devices.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 2:40 PM

file_507590.gif

Microsoft Trackball - don't make 'em any more (got mine about 2001) and they go for silly money on Ebay, but if you can get one, the weight of the ball is perfect for zooming the camera or moving stuff around in Poser (and Bryce).

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

RawArt ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 8:02 AM

Attached Link: My Mouse Here

Someone once recomended to me using a gaming mouse for 3d work, and just last year I finally splurged and got one. It is great. It was much more expensive, but so very worth it.

Gaming mice are made to be durable and very sensitive, so they are perfect for 3d work. Plus, since I am working with it all day every day...having something durable is very important (I was going through a logitec mouse a year for a while.

Here is what I use:  http://www.ttesports.com/Mouse/134/Level_10_M_Hybrid/productPage.htm?a=a&g=ftr

Magic_Man ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2014 at 4:52 PM

Logitech G600

Lots of buttons for camera views, tools etc.

Netherworks ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2014 at 5:28 PM

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000.  I don't dig on huge mice - smaller the mouse the less I get any hand cramping. :)  I've had a good range of mice and I find the Microsoft ones to move around more cleanly on the screen - a bit more pricey though.  You're own experience may vary.

Rechargable batteries save you a ton of dough.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2014 at 8:36 PM

Ditto on Razer Naga or Logitech G600 - the more buttons, the better.

heddheld ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2014 at 4:18 AM

I have a mad catz RAT 3 and its great!! so good in fact I plan on buying a 7 (or the gaming edition) soon it has more buttons and adjustable hand grips

but I dont see a lot of use for it in poser :-( but its great for blender and paint proggys where a lot of shortcuts "under" yer thumb is handy

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.