Sat, Aug 3, 9:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: OT- Computer log-ins and log-outs

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 1:18 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 12:44 AM

We're doing something new at my job. They've given each of us out own password and ID to use the computer, where as before we just all used the same machines. We're still using the same machines though.

So now, when I come in and sit down, the previous person  using the computer has to log off so I can log on. Which means when I come back I have to log on  and set everything up as before.

It's tedious is what it is. We're using Windows 7 on a Dell machine. Is there anyway, I can keep everything just as it is, log off, then when I come back, log on, and pick up right where I left off?

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 1:24 PM

In terms of programs running etc EClark?  The only option I can think of is not to log off but to switch user instead.  I'm not entirely sure it will work but it's the only thing I can think of.

Other than that your desktop, shortcuts and files etc should all be unique to your log on.

Hoep that helps

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 1:40 PM

Yes, normally switch user would do it, but under Window Vista and Window 7 that may no longer be an option if the company's IT department switched off that feature.  Clicking on the arrow just right of the on-off button will open a contextual menu with options to switch off, log off or switch users.  Switch users is grayed out on my work computer.

ironsoul ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 1:50 PM

Attached Link: Starting programs automatically

If you're always starting the same apps the startup folder might help.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 3:07 PM

I think that feature is turned off. We HAVE to log off for someone else to log on.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 12:46 AM

Your system sounds like our government system, which I am on right now. The difference is, we are still using XP. Each time I log in, it takes time because it loads my profile, so I don't have to setup each time I log in. I thought the gov't was just being cheap by not going to Windows 7 or 8. But we don't have problems like you are describing, so there may be more to it than I realize.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 8:49 AM

The logistics of switching OS is not that simple.  Security protocols must be scrutized, changed or rewritten to protect sensitive information (I work at a hospital facility; we are bound by HIPPA regulations).  Individual profiles can be set on multi-user computers but access is strictly controlled by login/logout protocols; I can't leave programs running if another user wishes to use the computer.  Fortunately, my work computer is only used by myself.

Willber ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 12:38 PM

Windows 7 Pro... setup different users.... easy.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 2:01 PM

Quote - The logistics of switching OS is not that simple.  Security protocols must be scrutized, changed or rewritten to protect sensitive information (I work at a hospital facility; we are bound by HIPPA regulations).  Individual profiles can be set on multi-user computers but access is strictly controlled by login/logout protocols; I can't leave programs running if another user wishes to use the computer.  Fortunately, my work computer is only used by myself.

I get what you're saying, but I'm a security guard at my job. For the most part we all use the same programs. In fact, before all this individual log-in began we simply left the computer on all day with one login. I'm simply guessing here that the guards are being spied on to see who's doing what and when. It's not like it would be the first time. As I said, we all use the same program, but one one person logs out, he has to shut down that program and the next person has to start it up again.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 2:27 PM

Quote - Windows 7 Pro... setup different users.... easy.

Yes, that works at home, but not for security minded companies where IT departments are quite anal about granting Admin rights to employees.

Willber ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 2:32 PM

Well we use Win 7 Pro here at work and we have a decently locked down system as we are an international corp. I have admin rights on my computer but someone else doesn't that logs onto it.

It all depends on how the admin sets it up.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.