Fri, Sep 20, 7:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: How to work with .OBJ files

vitachick ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 8:31 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:39 AM

checking my purchased items at Rendo and found Complete Cave system  Only

problem is everything is in .obj format....Ok imported, added texture but still having

problems...

Can anyone advise easiest way to work with these files?

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

Zoe ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 8:52 AM

only a obj really?
Let us know which obj, is it for clothing or props and what do you want to do?

vitachick ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 9:06 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/real-complete-cave-system/83110/

heddheld ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 10:10 AM

promo don't say a lot ;-) but guess you have a main cave.obj and then lots of other .obj's (pointy bits (yas I know but cant spill ) rocks ladders woteva

import the cave (untick all on import) check scale (poser uses a tiny scale ) adjust (and save out if you going to use it a lot, mats may or not load so expect to adjust them

now import the next prop you want scale (same as main cave for now ) place it where you want it, adjust scale more to get it just how you like it

now parent it to the main cave on to next prop be a bit boring for next while so once you have a really nice setup save it as a scene file in case you want to reuse it

cant see on there what proggy it was made in but some proggys make huge models (compared to poser) so on import if you don't see it scale it down and try ctrl+d, or check to see if your inside it (try pose cam)

hope that helps a little 

vitachick ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 10:18 AM

Will try again....30.00 wasn't cheap...Too late to ask for refund :(

The promo looks great!!!!

Zoe ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 11:05 AM

ok, I thought maybe included scenes but this is not the case. You can only load the props individually and must adjust as you need it and then by camera function set which area you want to render.

Sorry but more help isnt possible from my site, I dont have this product.

vitachick ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 11:06 AM

Thank you for your time....Much appreciated......

moriador ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2014 at 12:06 PM · edited Tue, 11 November 2014 at 12:20 PM

I've purchased quite a few obj only products, and I download freebies from Turbosquid all the time. It's not a bad idea to get used to importing obj's because there's a lot of cool props out there for free, and once you get used to the process, it's no big deal.

Advice already given is good.

Make sure you put the obj and textures into a permanent place, so that Poser will be able to find them. Sometimes the vendor does this for you, but not always. I just move the props and textures into one folder together and copy it to the geometries folder of the runtime because I'm too lazy to put the textures in "textures". But that's just me. The scale is usually WAY off, so sometimes you have to scale all the way down to 1% and it's STILL too big. In that case, I scale to about 4%, and then use the x, y, z scale to take it down further (adjust each of them equally).

CTRL-D to get the prop to the ground -- because when you're scaling, the thing may disappear 900 meters into the sky. Sometimes, when you scale a prop, it will end up a million miles from the center. If you have trouble locating the prop after scaling and hitting ctrl-d, go to aux camera and navigate way out. Adjust the "yon" settings on the camera, if it isn't showing you the entire scene.

Once you have the prop scaled how you like it (you may need to load a figure like V4 to see how she looks next to the prop), you'll need to fix all the materials. But usually that's just a case of putting diffuse maps in the diffuse node, specular maps in the specular node, bump in bump and so on.

Once you've done each prop, make a folder in the props tab of your library, center the prop on the scene so your preview shows the item, select the item, and save the prop to that folder. You can parent the props together and save groups of them by using the "select subset" dialog option on the prop save, which will allow you to save everything, or just certain parts of the scene, however you want to do it.

Now you can just load the props from the library like any other.

NOW... you say the main prop is one big welded piece, so it's hard to get the camera in there.

You have Poser Pro 2014, so you can use the grouping tool to cut that prop into pieces. This can be easy as pie or complicated, depending on how the vendor grouped the polys. But learning to use this tool will be like... opening a whole new world... as it will give you lots more things you can do (like making windows and doors that open on props, and making individual walls and floors that move and stuff like that, plus way more if you're imaginative). So practicing with this tool is really worth your time.

This tutorial gives just the very basics of how to select polys and what you can do. It's aimed at grouping for figure creation, but you can ignore that. You just need to learn how to select polys, deselect polys, and create groups. 

http://poser.smithmicro.com/tutorials/Characters_grouping.html

Once you have the right polys selected (red), you can then choose "create prop" and it will create a prop with the name you've given it that is made up only of those red polys. If the vendor has already grouped the prop by either "group" or "material", you may be able to make a good set of scene props by dividing the mesh into those groups. You'll just have to look and see. 

Then, once you've got a bunch of cut up props, save them to your library, and voila... you can load them whenever you like with ease. :D

One thing the tutorial doesn't tell you is how to select polys easily. If you're in the regular screen mode, you can only select the polys you can see. Sometimes that's what you want, because you don't want the ones on the other side. But sometimes, if you're selecting polys to cut them out, you want to grab them all, and props often have lots of little tiny ones or ones hidden inside tubes or columns that you won't see until you've made your prop and there's a whole mess of squiggly bits and pieces still left that you meant to get rid of. In those cases, use the top most wireframe view. In that view, you can select all the polys with the marquee function within a rectangle, regardless of whether you can see them inside that rectangle or not. By alternating between views, you can select or deselect with perfect precision. But it does take practice, and is infuriating as holy living hell at first. Then once you've got it, it's a fantastic thing to be able to do.

If anyone knows any other tutorials on the grouping tool, they would probably be helpful, and I wouldn't mind seeing them myself. :)

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

vitachick ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2014 at 4:43 AM

Good advice!

Thank you!

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2014 at 9:23 AM

Vitachick, you said you were having problems, but didn't describe what the problems are.  Still stuck?  If so, what is wrong?

This reminds me, amongst the files I have recovered from a lightning-struck workstation, I have a mermaid's cave.  It has a pool with a central island, and a sort of mezzanine shelf with branch tunnels.  I'm going to see if that build file survived.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

vitachick ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2014 at 9:29 AM

Had trouble  finding the texture files. Everything loaded  zero pose..Didn't spend too much

time on it. Use to doing search for figures, material, pose and everything comes up...

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2014 at 9:38 AM

Oh, I see.  Yeah, just make a folder in runtime:textures like artist ___ cave, put the texture JPGs in there, and then in Poser's material room, browse to that folder to apply the texture images.  The reason that this was different is that this was a universal OBJ package, rather than being already organized for Poser.  The builder may not even use Poser.  Oh, and if there is some part which uses transparency, the transmap may be color-inverted, because some programs (the promos look to have been done in Vue) such as Vue use black for opaque and white for transparent.  That's easy to correct for using a math node in Poser.  Just yell if you run into that.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

vitachick ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2014 at 4:47 PM · edited Mon, 17 November 2014 at 4:48 PM

.obj., .mtl..tga (jpg I think ok) Made the folders as u suggested...Mtl files go in textures also or where?  Thanks for helping

file_7e7757b1e12abcb736ab9a754ffb617a.JP

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2014 at 7:41 PM · edited Mon, 17 November 2014 at 7:48 PM

The MTL files should be right beside the OBJs.  At some point, you import the OBJs into Poser;  at that time, Poser will read the OBJ's associated MTL to determine the material zones and UV mapping.  Assuming that you're going to save the model as a prop once you get the textures applied, Poser will no longer need the OBJ/MTL files, so you don't need to have those in your runtime.  You can import them right from the desktop folder.  But the texturing images (JPG, TGA) should go into runtime>textures>Complete Cave. 

To be clear, this is distinct from Poser props and figures which reference remote geometries (the geometry has been stripped out and is stored somewhere in runtime>geometries).  Those remotely referenced geometries must be left where they are or all models which use them won't be able to find them.

What you will be doing is importing geometry meshes, texturing them, and then saving them as props in your props library.  Poser will save them with the geometry embedded within the prop file.

Poser 12, in feet.  

vitachick ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2014 at 4:12 AM

Trying but feel like a complete idiot..will keep u posted..

Pros make it sound so easy...Hole in wall from my head lol

Once again noob at this and really frustrated...Emailed vendor and his reply was just like this read-me..

heddheld ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2014 at 4:39 AM

once you have done it a few times you'll wonder why its such a pain now ;-)

like anything in life practise makes it easier 

vitachick ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2014 at 5:07 AM

Backing off now...Will allow my brain to go back to normal??? Was it ever normal???

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2014 at 4:32 PM

No, and... no. :P

The potential problem I foresee is that with a model of this size, applying the stone texture/bump will result in a P4-esque blurry surface, unless the modeler UV mapped it so that instead of being contained within UV 0-1 space, it covers UV 0-64 space or some such value.

If this blurry lo-res appearance occurs, just yell.  I've made lots of asymmetrical seamless stone tiles, and I can even tile the surface in such a way that two or maybe four tiles are randomly scrambled so as to avoid obvious repetition.

Poser 12, in feet.  

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2014 at 5:18 AM

Tried rendering one of the .obj and Pose 2014 ran out of memory. Vendor uses

Vue and 3DStudio...Noticed I purchased this item back in 2013 so too old to

ask for my money back...

That's it...Going to delete from my system...

Thank you all for your help and sugestions..

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2014 at 6:06 AM

What features do you need in a cave?  Maybe I can do a quickie.

Poser 12, in feet.  

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2014 at 6:14 AM

Initially I wanted to make a scene with a cave and all the Thanksgiving turkeys

hiding in it....Notice I also purchased another cave item from same vendor :(

Full Scene but needed the ground so I can show the Turkeys hiding behind

the rocks etc...

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2014 at 6:18 AM

This is the scene I made..Scouts were out trying to find a good hiding spot..Thought the cave would be a good place to hide

file_7ef605fc8dba5425d6965fbd4c8fbe1f.jphe cave would be perfect

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2014 at 4:17 PM

Well, I had a fairly nice rock bluff cave a-building, and my old laptop hung on me, so that work's gone.  I've already got a replacement workstation in place but not quite all hooked up yet.

If your turkeys are still looking for a hiding spot, I can offer my old gnarly mulberry, which has a crack at the base of the trunk leading to an inner chamber.  Check your site mail, because the little notification icon doesn't work (When I opened the site mail page, I saw a message from shvrdavid which had been there unknown for weeks).  I didn't want to post this partial model publicly because it doesn't have all the packing amenities.

file_a597e50502f5ff68e3e25b9114205d4a.pn

Poser 12, in feet.  

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2014 at 4:19 PM

Ah received the site mail but had no clue what it was for....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.