Sat, Aug 3, 12:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 25 7:29 pm)

Subject: weird light on OBJ object

Javil ( ) posted Tue, 17 March 2015 at 3:18 PM · edited Sun, 26 May 2024 at 6:01 AM

file_698d51a19d8a121ce581499d7b701668.jp

Hi all,

If I import an *obj object with or without any image applied, I get distorted light on the object.

The left object is an imported *.OBJ and the right one is an imported *.3DS.

I tried in the OBJ export settings to export as triangles. Anyone any idea what's going on?

Thanks.

Javil

more VUE Infinite on -> javildesign.com

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 17 March 2015 at 7:08 PM

Do you have an NGON in that cap? and you may want to check your normals are facing the right way

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Javil ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2015 at 12:55 AM

Normals are facing outwards and evey face has 4 vertices, so no NGON.  

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2015 at 5:21 AM

I think the problem comes from the smoothing angle. Check the value applied by Vue in the Object editor. Usually a value of 80% should smooth it out. Bur sometimes when there are chamfers close to the normals, the value needs to be set quite low, so try high and low angles and see what does the job best.

Javil ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2015 at 1:47 PM · edited Wed, 18 March 2015 at 1:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I did some study but I cannot find any solution to this problem.

I did check and adjusted the smoothing angle in the mesh options. But that doesn't solve it.

file_9fc3d7152ba9336a670e36d0ed79bc43.jp

In Vue in the 3d editor the strange shadows are already visible..

The weird part is, if I download a really complex Blender object, like a car, Vue renders it perfectly.

This is the most simple shape, so I don't get the problem.

I also tried Vue 14 PLE. There the problem is still visible, but less.

I can change and adjust the atmosphere, then it smooths out a bit, but the shadows are staying weird..

Any thoughts? The object is a mesh object, exported in Blender as *.OBJ. Tried different options during export, nothing helped.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2015 at 5:18 PM

Show us a wireframe of the OBJ, oblique view from above.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Javil ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2015 at 10:44 AM

Ok. Here is a screenshot of the object. If imported to Vue, the object becomes triangulated.

file_4c56ff4ce4aaf9573aa5dff913df997a.pn

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 21 March 2015 at 12:15 PM · edited Sat, 21 March 2015 at 12:19 PM

It's hard to tell with the screengrab squished down in size, but it looks like the top circle is an n-gon.  Strictly convex, so not a problem in Poser, but Vue triangulates everything, and a circle like that usually is cut up as rays from a single point on the perimeter.

Can you delete that top circle n-gon, and re-cover the area with quads arranged like planks spanning side-to-side?

file_903ce9225fca3e988c2af215d4e544d3.pn

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Javil ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2015 at 10:38 AM

Thanks. I made a mistake indeed. Never saw the ngon on top..(excuse me FrankT) I learned something new today. Thank you.

Javil ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2015 at 9:26 AM

Still this is a problem. In Vue 14ple and in Vue Infinite 7.

The imported OBJ object is a perfectly simple cylinder object without any Ngons. See the example.

Smoothing angle is not solving the issue.

I've been trying for over weeks now to import a simple made cylinder into Vue, without any good results. Shadows are ugly, and there are distorted materials.

How do you import objects into Vue, that look ok? Because this is not working.

file_3def184ad8f4755ff269862ea77393dd.jp

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2015 at 2:03 PM · edited Sat, 28 March 2015 at 2:09 PM

A long shot but try adding an edgeloop or two on the top face - there are some long thin polygons which might be causing the problem. 

If I get a minute, I'll have go - I have Blender and Vue 8 infinite

[Update] Try double clicking on the object and deselect "smooth Mesh" in the polygon Mesh Options.  I just tried that and it appears to work

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Javil ( ) posted Mon, 30 March 2015 at 5:13 AM

Thanks. After a bit trying, I did tick off the smoothing mesh, but I needed to subdivide the object in Blender multiple times to get an acceptable result.

Thanks for helping.

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 30 March 2015 at 1:09 PM

You could try a subsurf in Blender before you export I guess - or maybe change the smoothing angle a bit and see if that helps

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.