Sat, Sep 21, 4:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: New stuff

Slynky ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 2:38 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:37 PM

Attached Link: http://www.jkpotter.com

file_216715.jpg

Hello, this is me. Everything was done in the darkroom, no post work except some contrast adjustments. Its at mac gamma (d'oh!) so it might be a little lighter than I see it. Comments welcome.

doruksal ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 5:29 PM

As I wrote in the photo gallery: this is a beautiful and strong work to me, esp. for the borders...and linear burns...and the overall graphic composition... ...Well, what else..?! :) BTW, dear Slynky, "the oddity" continues with 2 more examples in the 2D gallery... :) Regards...

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 5:42 PM

Congrats on getting good facial expressions while photographing yourself. I've done it a few time and I know how tricky it can be. I don't understand the vertical lines however. It feels like there should be something there. Did you plan to do something else originally? Bsteph

RJH ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 6:45 PM

Nice work Ryan I work entirely in digital so I can't even appreciate how much work this is to do in the darkroom. Come to think of it I, don't think I have ever been in a darkroom.

Slynky ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 7:03 PM

this wasn't exactly difficult. One enlarger for one neg, another for the other. I print each one on a full sheet of paper, cut myself out, and paint the remainder of the paper black. I then print each onto one piece of paper, and then add the borders. I exposed a piece of paper, and processed it, which means it came out black. I cut off the edges to make the picture have a border, and cut out the lines as well. Because the paper wasn't completely flat "It curved upward a bit at the edges", the light from the enlarger bounced off the paper which i was printing on, and then the underside of the black paper (which was white underneath). Thge light kept reflecting and bouncing off less and less, creating the soft random soft border next to the solid line border. Easily replicated, with likely technically superior results with digital, or if I just made two separate prints and photoshopped them, but i like the magic and occasional randomness of darkrooms. I did four prints of this one, and thers in the middle change slightly in size (the soft parts) depending on much time I allowed the light to shine on the paper. Then again,m for the hallowe'en contest, I'm going f'in all out in photoshop, recently inspired by a photographer...

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 8:29 PM

Gee as a person who's processed film but never really got around to printing much. This sounds over complicated. I figured you covered one section of the paper and placed something to create the lines over the paper then exposed it. Then covered the next place then exposed it. Then printed the picture. If I was going to do that the tricky part is to lign up the paper correctly. Are you sure that was the best way to do what you did? Bsteph

Antoonio ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 5:49 AM

You look just like one of those guys in Boyzone(or is it boyzone? that famous boyband.), that blonde "tender and intellectual" guy. Dont know anything about developing either. It must be something fascinating. .n

Slynky ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 11:24 AM

To get the effect I got with the harsh borders with softness next to them, it was on purpose. I knew the paper wasn't flat at the edges, and light reflects easily off the colour whit. Like I said, I could've done it all in photoshop, with an exact level of blur, with perfectly straight lines and whanot, but it doesn't seem natural to me (remember, just my opinion, I'm the largest advocater of photoshop you can find, its powerful, and a blessing to have, but some things i like to do a different way). This piece didn't take long to print from enlarger to enlarger, maybe 2 minutes. The cutting out of the me's, and the paper itself, took long enough, but if I were in photoshop, and wanted to cut out everything so well, I'd magnify myself to know end, and do it very nitpickingly. I'm a darkroom guy when it comes to printing, but hopefully I'll surprise you all with my entrance for the site wide hallowe'en contest using only photoshop... or maybe I'll just suck!

starshuffler ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 12:48 PM

Nah, Antoonio, he looks like Marky Mark (Wahlberg-- that singer turned actor)! =)

JordyArt ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 6:59 PM

Oh, it's actually HIM in the pic? Darn. I was gonna recommend he get a decent looking model next time round.... (",) p.s. Nice pic. However you did it! My hat's off to ya, coz I wouldn't have had the patience - I'd have PhotoShopped all the way.....

Slynky ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 8:15 PM

all you @$$holes who think I'm ugly, well my mother thinks I'm cute, so TOUCHEZ!!!!

JordyArt ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2001 at 5:49 AM

Yeah, but no mother thinks she has an ugly baby..... At least you should have no problem cleaning up in the Halloween competition - just enter this one!!!! (snigger)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.