Mon, Jul 8, 6:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 8:11 pm)

Subject: use stars'pics which breaches of law of U.S.

atpo ( ) posted Fri, 02 October 2015 at 8:41 PM · edited Mon, 08 July 2024 at 6:09 AM

There are stars'pics can be got on web,like "Jessica Jane" ."Angelina Jolie",etc. But If use these pics to do textures for own models which breaches of law of U.S.?Does it is free fare or non free fare? Because I have seen severy these stats models here. Thanks.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 02 October 2015 at 10:05 PM

I believe in a nutshell, if you didn't take the picture, you don't own it. You can't use it.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 02 October 2015 at 10:08 PM
Online Now!

Celebrity photos are no good for texturing, resolution and lighting are all wrong. Plus, they are still property of the photographer, so you would need permission to use them for any public display. Likenesses can fall under the same restrictions if inappropriately used.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 02 October 2015 at 10:27 PM

In other words, you can create it, but you can't sell it or distribute it without consent.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Fri, 02 October 2015 at 10:38 PM

Even if you wanted to display it, you'd have to cite your sources, either use a negligible portion of the original or have it serve as a minor aspect of your work or both, and not harm any "existing or future market" for the original work for it to fall under fair use.

atpo ( ) posted Sat, 03 October 2015 at 8:16 PM

thanks get it. It seems no people model can be done in U.S.

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 03 October 2015 at 10:44 PM

It's an issue not because of US law, but because of the Berne Convention on Copyright, a treaty which applies in most countries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2015 at 9:10 AM

Many other countries have even more stringent laws than the US when it comes to copyright. But no, that's not what I said. You can use those photos for references of your own sculpts and your own textures if you use multiple references. That's what most people do.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2015 at 2:30 PM

atpo, I know it's very unfair, but they can post anything they like, as this is a privately-owned site. if somebody sees image that violates their own rights, they can submit DMCA complaint with site owners. but if we see copyright violation, there's nothing we can do unless we own copyright, trade mark, trade dress, right of publicity et al.

they should move this to copyright forum, which I quit using due to nasty trolls ranting about this issue.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2015 at 7:07 PM

And all you need to issue a DMCA complaint is copyright. Which you automatically have upon instantiation your own original works. People in this community successfully issue DMCA complaints all the time about their images being posted on other sites. I know because they post about it in journals at dA. It's not at all uncommon, and on most sites, it doesn't seem to be difficult. Most people here would have a fit if someone took one of their renders and used it to make a new, public work without their permission. I think it's pretty fair to give photographers, character designers, and other artists the same respect we expect from others. Golden rule and all.

atpo ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2015 at 8:53 PM

thanks A shortcut is getting merried to she or he so that free texture you will bw getting everyday. Please do not say you've never had this idea. kobaltkween, Miss Nancy,WandW, rokket ,hborre,whose stars you want to get meeried? Please take it easy,here just 6 people know.:)

mrthraz ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2015 at 10:09 PM

atpo posted at 10:07PM Tue, 06 October 2015 - #4232636

thanks A shortcut is getting merried to she or he so that free texture you will bw getting everyday. Please do not say you've never had this idea. kobaltkween, Miss Nancy,WandW, rokket ,hborre,whose stars you want to get meeried? Please take it easy,here just 6 people know.:)

kobaltkween can't consider marriage since she's married to me! please do not suggest she marry someone else.

atpo ( ) posted Wed, 07 October 2015 at 7:03 PM

MR. mrthraz, I'm sorry. And congratuation!

atpo ( ) posted Wed, 07 October 2015 at 8:37 PM

One sweet moive is opening" Sleepless in renderosity",he and she fall into love,' eternal flame' sounds around here and there,all plaudits to them,that is their love story,that is their big day.

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 2:34 PM

atpo posted at 12:31PM Fri, 09 October 2015 - #4232636

Do you mean "married" rather then "merried"? Marry equals to join together. Merry means having a good time.

Where are you from, atpo?

atpo ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 8:01 PM

MR. mrthraz says that kobaltkween can't consider marriage since she's married to me! please do not suggest she marry someone else. What a good thing it is.

JHoagland ( ) posted Sun, 11 October 2015 at 11:18 AM

The other issue is that stars and celebrities have publicity laws in their favor. Basically this means people can't create merchandise with their likeness, including digital models, without their permission. Though many people get around this by either altering the likeness slightly or changing the name. (Or in the case of DAZ's Anna Maria Goddard digital model, they got full cooperation and license from the real person.) Plus, it depends on how well the site enforces the rule: TurboSquid doesn't seem to care, but Renderosity may be more picky. Also, publicity laws don't apply to public figures: this is why it was not legal to sell merchandise of the actor Arnold Schwarzenegger, but it was okay to sell merchandise of California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.