Mon, Sep 9, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Proliferating shader node suffix numbers... wacro to fix?

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2016 at 3:00 PM ยท edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 2:12 AM

Beginning with Poser 10, the Materials Room has begun tacking these numerical suffixes on to select copy-pasted shader nodes, for bizarre reasons of its own. It doesn't look like the Poser Team is interested in fixing this, and by now I have a ton of shaders which have been polluted by this effect. Poser will not even allow ready manual removal of these suffixes from the names, sometimes claiming that a given name "is not unique within the shader tree". See the attached image, if you don't know what I'm babbling about, here.

Is there, or can there be, a wacro to fix this nonsense? I'm kind of sharp with Poser Python, but I've never been able to get my head around scripting for the Mat Room. I think it would be a great boon to the Poser Community if we had such a script available. The current situation is maddening. (I would tack on some goofy-faced emoticon here, if Rosity still had them.)temp.jpg

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.ย  He apologizes for this.ย  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.ย  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2016 at 3:15 PM

I don't copy paste much but I can see where this would get super annoying very fast. Have you reported this nonsense to SM?

It kills me when they write bad algorithms like this, which are easily solved with 5 lines of code or less.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2016 at 3:15 PM

Note - since I am at war with Renderosity, I refuse to answer your actual questions here. I do remain, though, to stir the pot as I like.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2016 at 3:26 PM ยท edited Mon, 01 February 2016 at 3:27 PM

I reported this bug early on in the PPro14 days, IIRC. I was led to believe that it was going to be fixed, but it hasn't been. I don't recall the details of my bug reports very well. It was a long time ago, now.

Good luck with your protest, BB. Not to derail my own thread, but have you considered that maybe Rosity doesn't want the forums to work better? Maybe they just want to be a marketplace now, and the forums are just one of those externality thingies, an unwanted and costly burden. Paranoid me, I could believe such a thing of any business. Would be kind of weird though, given that Rosity started its life as a forum, way back before there were any marketplaces at all in Poserdom.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.ย  He apologizes for this.ย  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.ย  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2016 at 3:33 PM

I so totally agree cage. This drives me up a wall. I usually just make a ton of .mt5 files rather than copy/paste to avoid this. The .mt5 stops the proliferation of #'s and also plants the nodes at the exact same place every time, also avoiding that super irritating root/node position drift (although this seems editable within the files themselves via pos # #) that can propagate thoughout your materials when copy and pasting. The align nodes script doesn't really fix this. Would love if NetherWorks or someone could come up with a utility to fix these behaviors.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2016 at 6:14 PM

In the meantime I just rename them the way I use to rename "figure 1.2" and all the Vicky's I added to scenes.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

R_Hatch ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 12:33 AM

While we're begging the Poser gods for mercy, I'd also like to see an option to not create new root nodes when pasting an entire shader tree. This is the most annoying new feature in Poser 11.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 7:06 AM

I'll add that to a report, R_Hatch. Good suggestion.

Boni

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 5:25 PM

R_Hatch: I was told I can let you know that the "replace" set up is being considered. They are working on it now. ๐Ÿ˜„ The other issue, IMHO can be altered at the users end with renaming the nodes ... but if this is a major annoyance I can bring it up as well.

Boni

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 5:37 PM

Not necessary for me boni, I've already come up with a solution a couple of years ago I guess. Trying to rename a copied and pasted BB Shader might be some enjoyable pursuit though. :D

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 5:45 PM

EldritchCellar: Ok ... I can see a point here, but glad you came up with a solution. Would you care to share that? Others may benefit.

Boni

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 5:52 PM

I just make progressive .mt5 files. Their identical every time applied, naming and position. Keeps things neat with a couple of clicks.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 5:56 PM

That's a great tip, thanks.

Boni

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 6:01 PM

No prob. I hate it when my nodes end up shifting positions across materials from copy/paste. I like them to be all in the exact same spot across materials, looks nicer in freebies rather than having your nodes jumping all over the place when the user switches from one material to the next.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 6:07 PM

I suppose VSS is another solution for neatness but I find setting up the shader rules to be tedious... which BB would probably say is ridiculous and nonsensical. Lol. VSS is nice though, the rare times I use it.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 10:22 PM

Have you considered making core compound nodes with open ended texture nodes that can be used as a template? I have seen one ... I can't look it up at the moment, but will in the morning.

Boni

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 10:38 PM

Who me?

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 10:38 PM ยท edited Tue, 02 February 2016 at 10:46 PM

Lol.

Edit_ that's a good natured lol, boni. Intent is damnably hard to decipher on the web.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.