Fri, Oct 4, 5:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: DAZ eats RunetimeDNA

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 10:43 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 11:10 PM

Got an email on this today. Looks like DAZ is swallowing runtime DNA. One less place to shop out of the DAZverse. Not sure what is going on because I'm out the loop; playing Trove now, freaking digital legos lol Really looking like DAZ is taking over. Looks like it's DAZ or some few independents that support poser. I do miss you all but don't miss the DAZ train.

pappy411 ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 10:55 AM

Renderosity is #1 in my estimation.

Sueposer ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:11 PM

DAZ caters to those clients who embrace being told what to do. The rest of us now have fewer resources with which to make our own way. DAZ reminds me of an animaniacs cartoon, where micro**** tells everyone to do weird things (like put a pickle on your head). And they do.

EddyMI ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:26 PM

It seems, RDNA already don't sell Poser any more...

Live Long and Prosper

dr_bernie ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:45 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:46 PM

I somehow 'sensed' that this was coming, see this link.

I also think that Gen3/Gen4 characters still have lots to offer and dismissing them is a terrible mistake, see this link.

Sockratease ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 4:33 PM

Hi Stan!

I found my way here too. I never bought much content from anybody but did like DAZ and still do, however I may be moving on to Renderotica as I just want to be able to speak freely without fear of any restrictive TOS problems. I'll still be around all the usual sites, including DAZ until they throw me out for calling Genesis by it's more accurate name of Genocide (already warned about that, but I am not sure I can resist such a wonderful joke for long!).

I had an old account here which I forgot about until recently. I wonder if I have one at RDNA too? I may go look, just for funzies...

Look For Silly Art on Sockratease.com!

Free Fractal obj Files!

Steve K. ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 4:55 PM

dr_bernie posted at 4:53PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257197

I somehow 'sensed' that this was coming, see this link.

I also think that Gen3/Gen4 characters still have lots to offer and dismissing them is a terrible mistake, see this link.

Agreed. I am happily living in the Gen4 world and don't see a reason to change. I have some good products from RDNA for use in Carrara short animations, but the future looks doubtful.

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 6:19 PM

hah, who would have thought, bad for free speech... and its the home of the official Poser Forum, hmm, if you cant beat em, buy them and close them down... great strategy,

http://forum.runtimedna.com/forumdisplay.php?399-The-Official-Poser-11-Poser-Pro-2016-Forum

Steve K. ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 6:32 PM

headwax. posted at 6:29PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257267

if you cant beat em, buy them and close them down... great strategy,

http://forum.runtimedna.com/forumdisplay.php?399-The-Official-Poser-11-Poser-Pro-2016-Forum

I recall some online interviews with people involved with DAZ' acquisition of Carrara, similar strategy, "don't let Smith Micro get Carrara" ... or something like that ...

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 6:57 PM

yes, the interview was with the former daz ceo?? they bought carrara to keep it out of the opposition's hands. We have large optical companies here who buy the opposition's building (where the opposition is renting) and close them down via non renewal of lease..

It's a lovely strategy and I admire companies that use it more than words can describe.

Steve K. ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 7:34 PM

A related story: I was at one time a big fan of MIDI music software (yes, lots of bad music and a little stunning music - same as 3d animation). In particular, I really liked a program from Blue Ribbon Soundworks titled "SuperJam". Very interesting algorithmic compositions, with many great "styles" (blues, rock, stravinsky!). I called them once about a minor glitch, and the friendly (really, they were like that) support person said, "We just got bought out by Microsoft." That was the last I ever heard from them.

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 7:41 PM

ah ah ah , what worries me is that daz will buy out VWD ......

IceEmpress ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 8:25 PM

Even RDNA was beginning its gravitation towards Genesis 3.

booksbydavid ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 12:32 AM · edited Thu, 25 February 2016 at 12:34 AM

Hey, Stan, headwax, Sockratease! It's old home week. :)

I recently started as a vendor at RDNA. This was a surprise to everybody. I found out, as a vendor, literally just minutes before the general public. A lot of unhappy people over there. It feels like the rug has been pulled out from under us. RDNA's owners are trying to convince everybody that this is great for everyone, but not everyone's buying it. Too many people have been done wrong by DAZ over the years.

And from what I've read on other fourms, Poser is looking for a new home for its official Poser forum. But don't quote me on that. :)

Wonga ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 12:59 AM
headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 5:43 AM

booksbydavid posted at 5:41AM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257321

I recently started as a vendor at RDNA. This was a surprise to everybody. I found out, as a vendor, literally just minutes before the general public. A lot of unhappy people over there. It feels like the rug has been pulled out from under us. RDNA's owners are trying to convince everybody that this is great for everyone, but not everyone's buying it. Too many people have been done wrong by DAZ over the years.

And from what I've read on other fourms, Poser is looking for a new home for its official Poser forum. But don't quote me on that. :)

Greetings ah the right will win pout in the end ;) hope you are well, where are your products?

headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 5:44 AM

Wonga posted at 5:43AM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257324

history_carrara_guy.jpg

Everbody knows that, even pidgen s ,! ?

Steve K. ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 12:08 PM

booksbydavid posted at 12:08PM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257321

Too many people have been done wrong by DAZ over the years.

I agree with that.

booksbydavid ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 12:25 PM

headwax. posted at 12:22PM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257358

booksbydavid posted at 5:41AM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257321

Greetings ah the right will win pout in the end ;) hope you are well, where are your products?

Hey, man. I'm doing well. A little shaken about this RDNA thing. I've only got one product now with two more in the works, but I'm busy looking for a new home for them. I'm not going to DAZ and not too thrilled with how Rendo works. When I find a place I'll let you know. So far, everything I've made works in Carrara. Makes for interesting possibilities. :)

headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 2:32 PM

Thanks David, I hope it all goes well.! I have a feeling Daz is a leaky ship with an enormous amount of holes. Not saying what kind of 'holes' ....

booksbydavid ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 8:06 PM

headwax. posted at 8:05PM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257464

Not saying what kind of 'holes' ....

Heh, heh. :) You're a BAD boy.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 27 February 2016 at 9:30 AM

Try the new aboveground store/forum, sister of renderotica, cgbytes.com... Everyone is heading over there. Place is spiffy by my estimation.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

booksbydavid ( ) posted Sat, 27 February 2016 at 11:24 AM

Yes. Cgbytes is a potentially exciting place. We'll see how it goes. A lot of good folks showing up there.

tsarist ( ) posted Mon, 29 February 2016 at 7:53 PM

Hey Stan, Sock, and Books!

Good to see you all again!!!

booksbydavid ( ) posted Mon, 29 February 2016 at 8:04 PM

:) You, too, tsarist. Hope all is well with you.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2016 at 12:59 AM · edited Tue, 01 March 2016 at 1:06 AM

Actually I don't care about RDNA. They can be owned by Daz or they can just go under, it's the same for me. I have never seen anything interesting in their products.

But if Daz attempts to take over Renderosity I will have every reason to go ballistic. From lingerie to heroic outfits, from swords and laser guns to spaceships and fantasy worlds, Renderosity's product selection team is always right on, afaiac. Look at what I just bought me for $13.20 in one of RO's Flash Sales. Isn't that neat? At this price Daz can't even come close! See this link

manleystanley ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2016 at 9:27 AM · edited Tue, 01 March 2016 at 9:28 AM

dr_bernie posted at 9:25AM Tue, 01 March 2016 - #4258421

Actually I don't care about RDNA. They can be owned by Daz or they can just go under, it's the same for me. I have never seen anything interesting in their products.

But if Daz attempts to take over Renderosity I will have every reason to go ballistic. From lingerie to heroic outfits, from swords and laser guns to spaceships and fantasy worlds, Renderosity's product selection team is always right on, afaiac. Look at what I just bought me for $13.20 in one of RO's Flash Sales. Isn't that neat? At this price Daz can't even come close! See this link

There Can Be Only One

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2016 at 11:37 PM

I used RDNA back in the Poser 6 days. Been out of the loop for a long while.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.