Sun, Oct 6, 6:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: crazy rotation

pisaacs ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2016 at 7:11 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:16 AM

I just bought some flower props and the flowers only rotate properly at 0,0,0 where they load. Once moved away from that point they rotate wildly in space, the further away the bigger the orbit. Moreover, their x, y and z axes are all off so that moving them with the ztrans dial for example causes them to move diagonally instead of in and out from the main camera's point of view. So they are practically unusable. Is there any way to fix this? Using Poser Pro 2014.

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2016 at 7:19 PM

It sounds like the flowers have different parts,ie a figure. If there is a Body part, use that. The rotation other wise is going to be around the zero point.

Doric

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

pisaacs ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2016 at 8:07 PM

These are props with no parts, only different material zones.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2016 at 8:56 PM

Open the JointEditor and place the Green crosshair in the middle of your flowers.

Comitted to excellence through art.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 2:42 AM · edited Thu, 03 March 2016 at 2:44 AM

Before you edit the center/origin (as darkedge suggests) make sure that the prop is at 100% scale. Often times figures and props load into a scene with a modified default scale.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 3:10 AM

...guess I should clarify the "why" of my comment. Many times you'll hear Poser users say "yeah but every time I go to adjust the position of the origin my prop flies all over the place". This is because of the scale not being 100%.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

pisaacs ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 4:34 AM

I wish it were as easy as the scale, but all I did was load the item (came in at 100%) and moved it and then tried to rotate it. The joint editor helps some with the very small flowers but not with bigger ones or the flower groupings, and it's way too labor intensive. The items were bought at Daz and they work fine with Studio, but they're labeled for Poser (not dson) so they have not been translated correctly by the author into Poserspeak. I'll have to go over to their forum and see what's up, but I don't use studio and am very disappointed. But thanks all and any more suggestions here would be much welcome.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 6:17 AM
Site Admin

It won't fix the flowers but you could try parenting them to a primitive and turning that as a work around.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 7:11 AM · edited Thu, 03 March 2016 at 7:14 AM

You can combine flower groupings into one model by file:export: wavefront object (all options unchecked), file:import: wavefront object (all options unchecked). The model will load as one object, one group, one center of rotation, material groups and UVs maintained (generally; the usemtl lines may be appended by numeric tags such as 1:, :2, etc. depending on duplicate instances of the model. This is done by Poser on export and is easy to fix by opening the resulting .obj file in a text editor, searching :1 etc. and replacing with a blank space. Usually this is a non-issue, in particular for your purposes). Before creation of your customized .obj you may want to save a material collection (.mc6) to apply to your new object as a labor saving step, you can then resave your new prop to the library. Don't fret over the embedded geometry (I won't bother explaining that, It's a distribution thing, not relevant to your query).

Perhaps this might sound overly complex, but really it's not. It's how the models were assembled in the first place, you will simply be customizing them to suit your own needs and preferences. I do it all the time.

pisaacs ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 8:39 AM

Well that works. I tried saving a mc6 but it made the obj totally blank. Probably did something wrong. It's just so much work to fix all the variations of all these props now. But thanks very much!! Appreciate it greatly.

pisaacs ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 9:05 AM

At Daz tech forum someone suggested checking out the hidden parameters. All out of wack. When I zeroed everything all was well.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 10:08 AM

Glad you got it sorted. It's hard to diagnose problems (at least I find it so) without actually digging around in the thing itself. Language, terms, and user workflow/skill set are often difficult to translate. I usually take a very invasive approach to fixing things, usually outside of Poser.

pisaacs ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 2:08 PM

Well, the zeroing the hidden parameters didn't do the trick really all that well on further experience, so I've started exporting-importing a little at a time, ugh. Thanks again.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2016 at 6:48 PM

What Phantom said!

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2016 at 3:22 AM · edited Fri, 04 March 2016 at 3:31 AM

Yes.

You will be better served by the simpler approach recommended by RedPhantom. My suggestions are based solely on how I do things (which from a casual perspective might not be sympathetic to your actual goals). The method I suggest, If I were doing it, would also include regrouping and editing usemtl/g lines in the .objs. essentially creating entirely new prop files customized for my specific use. I tend to think like a internal tinkerer making my own models rather than "I just want this thing I bought to work for this render!"

Apologies. Please disregard any further suggestions I make, accidentally, on forums. It was a mistake to post any advice, which I have a tendency to forget in my enthusiasm.

Thanks. Happy rendering.

pisaacs ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2016 at 10:50 AM · edited Fri, 04 March 2016 at 10:52 AM

Yes, thank you Phantom. That is a great and easy quick fix. Saves a ton of work and worry. But I made it into a self -group instead, works the same.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2016 at 4:44 PM · edited Fri, 04 March 2016 at 4:45 PM

Eldritch, sorry didn't mean to imply your suggestions aren't valid...they are! Please accept my apologies, no disrespect was intended. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.