Wed, Sep 18, 2:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: VWD Tutorials

3DFineries ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2016 at 8:19 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 8:35 PM

Biscuits created some great tutorials to get you started! This thread will be updated as new tutorials are made.

Navigation

The Static Sim Tutorial will teach you how to drape conforming clothes. Static Sim Conforming Skirt

The Dynamic Sim Tutorials Part 1 & 2 applies to clothing that is already dynamic. Dynamic Sim Dress Prop Part 1

Part 2

The Hair Simulation Tutorial will teach you how to drape Static hair, i.e. conforming hair, prop hair, etc. Static Sim Hair Prop

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2016 at 11:42 PM

I made some videos tutorials in French. These videos are not very helpful for English users, but they show the workflow in VWD. I want to redo them in English with the some help.

demo VWD : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBJWJpSNCM This video shows the creation of a pose on the floor with a dress and hair.

demo seat VWD : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOsTbq4Ztc0 This video shows the creation of a sitting pose.

stockings : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-SZsLSo5bc This video shows the adjustement of stockings on a character

Gala gown : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAb7dnQv9e8 This video shows the positionning of a long dresse with the use of the dynamic deformation tool.

Eleanor dress : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbtVjTBSypQ This video shows a complex positionning of a dress using the dynamic deformation tool.

Demo Dynamic SVDL : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q0ySVlynfQ This video shows the computation of a catwalk with a long dress.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

agape ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2016 at 11:05 AM

Yes, we definitely need some in English!!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2016 at 3:53 PM

@agape : A bad news : I give 6 links to video tuturials in French. A Good news : I started to work on the subtitles and they will be translated next week. If you accept to see them in French before the translation, you can go to the videos proposal thread.

agape ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2016 at 7:05 PM

I have downloaded the Biscuits tutorials and they are very good. Waiting for her hair tutorial for animation.

Jaebea

Writers_Block ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2016 at 3:02 AM

Even in French they are very useful, particularly if one has used VWD a few times already; I know a tiny bit of french so pick up words and the odd phrase, but even watching once ya some familiarity is very useful.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2016 at 12:26 AM

I want to make to a video tutorial showing the new rigidification method that I have found for long hair. I really have a problem with the creation of these videos. I can make them in French, this takes me the time of the video with just a little preparation. The subtitles takes me more than 2 hours for a video 10 mns long. I work to improve my English spoken but, with grammar errors, a very bad accent and many words badly pronounced, the result will not be more useful than the French ones. If you know a solution to resolve this problem, All your ideas will welcome.

Writers_Block ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2016 at 2:09 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 8:08AM Sun, 31 July 2016 - #4277997

I want to make to a video tutorial showing the new rigidification method that I have found for long hair. I really have a problem with the creation of these videos. I can make them in French, this takes me the time of the video with just a little preparation. The subtitles takes me more than 2 hours for a video 10 mns long. I work to improve my English spoken but, with grammar errors, a very bad accent and many words badly pronounced, the result will not be more useful than the French ones. If you know a solution to resolve this problem, All your ideas will welcome.

Dub them?

Create in French as normal, then get someone to talk over at the appropriate sections in English.

Mythico ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2016 at 5:50 AM · edited Sun, 31 July 2016 at 5:53 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 5:24AM Sun, 31 July 2016 - #4277997

The subtitles takes me more than 2 hours for a video 10 mns long. I work to improve my English spoken but, with grammar errors, a very bad accent and many words badly pronounced, the result will not be more useful than the French ones. If you know a solution to resolve this problem, All your ideas will welcome.

I agree, creating the videos in French is fine. And if you could find someone to do either of the following, it would be more than good enough.

1. tighten up the English subtitle translation - only to help speed up learning of this highly involved CG process. English is not my first language but I can understand your translation completely, but then I'm verse in soft dynamic technicalities so I have to be biased I think.)

2. and/or, as WritersBlock said, dub to English.

Technically, the person who tightens up the English translation is familiar with VWD. And ideally also the same English speaker in case of dubbing. Which incidentally, sounds like one of the beta-testers?

More subjectively, as a visual person I actually prefer voiceless tutorials with well-timed captions (with very subtle music). So I feel well-translated English subtitles should suffice. So you could focus your energy on making more tut videos!

Writers_Block ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2016 at 3:06 AM · edited Mon, 01 August 2016 at 3:06 AM

Funny I hate music in such things; but it is easy to turn it off.

I certainly wouldn't mind doing the voice over, but I think the beta testers are still learning; I am for sure.

Sepiasiren ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2016 at 8:21 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 8:20AM Mon, 01 August 2016 - #4277997

I find the video easy enough to follow just watching the visual so I wouldn't worry over it too much--I'd love to see the new tutorial...

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2016 at 11:08 AM

Video tutorials are really a problem. Thank you for your suggestions.

A tutorial is so easy to do for me in french. I do them simply, naturally. I can do several tutorials in the same day. The translation using subtitles or another method complicates the process. I want to improve my English but I can tell you there is a huge work.

I want to make a proposal. I make all the tutorials I told about in french. For all the tutorials too difficult to understand without translation, you tell me so. Then I ask to someone to translate it and tell it in English. This work asks time and I want to pay for that.

Finally, if anyone accepts to translate and tell a video, I can send her/him 40$ for this work. This price is the price of one VWD version when Jenn will accept to do the update. I want to put the price to 59$ to decrease the price for Daz Studio buyers.

Tell me your opinion on the subject. Tell me if you think this price for this work is too low.

I have made the tutorial for Mada hair at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e4BRO5Hdc8 and a tutorial to simulate a string at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggjPFzI6XQ

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2016 at 12:52 AM

I posted the string in the Freestuffs so you can make some tests usings the same mesh. You can use different settings to make your simulations. You can also use the mesh subdivision.

Mythico ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2016 at 7:07 AM · edited Tue, 02 August 2016 at 7:10 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 6:53AM Tue, 02 August 2016 - #4278183

Video tutorials are really a problem. Thank you for your suggestions.

A tutorial is so easy to do for me in french. I do them simply, naturally. I can do several tutorials in the same day. The translation using subtitles or another method complicates the process. I want to improve my English but I can tell you there is a huge work.

I want to make a proposal. I make all the tutorials I told about in french. For all the tutorials too difficult to understand without translation, you tell me so. Then I ask to someone to translate it and tell it in English. This work asks time and I want to pay for that.

Finally, if anyone accepts to translate and tell a video, I can send her/him 40$ for this work. This price is the price of one VWD version when Jenn will accept to do the update. I want to put the price to 59$ to decrease the price for Daz Studio buyers.

Tell me your opinion on the subject.

There's one more simple option. No translation required on your part.

Youtube has a Crowd Source Subtitles option.

It's been used successfully with TED talks videos.

You only need to provide your video transcript in French one time.

This path will also allow Spanish Japanese Chinese users from Daz/Carrara/Poser to volunteer their translation. Wider audience, better for VWD, I think.

Just another option.

Great new videos btw.... Cheers!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2016 at 6:37 PM

Thank you Mythico, It is a very good option. When you say my video transcript in French, You want to say that I write the text of the subtitles. This is the part which needs the more time. In my final goal, I want to speak directly in English. You option is very interesting to translate the video in other languages.

kittykat98 ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2016 at 5:53 AM · edited Mon, 22 August 2016 at 5:53 AM

These are a great way to practice my French and I find them much easier to follow (Parisienne French) than the Acadian and Quebec French spoken here. There's a lot of slang and they speak sooo fast. I've been married to an Acadian for 36 years and I still have problems understanding her. Of course, most men say that regardless of language.

tomyee ( ) posted Tue, 23 August 2016 at 4:23 PM

@Gerald, I contacted a friend of mine in Quebec and asked him if he would be willing to do the work for the amount you'd be willing to pay. I sent him a link to your YouTube channel so that he could decide for himself if it was doable. If he agrees, I will send you his email and contact information.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Thu, 25 August 2016 at 3:54 PM

Thank you Thomas, if your friend can help for this, I will save many time.

Oso3D ( ) posted Sun, 28 August 2016 at 7:33 PM

I could really use some written tutorials (I just... can't absorb video tutorials)

In particular, things like what sorts of numbers lead to what sorts of results, how to do various things, how to emulate various kinds of cloth, that sort of thing.

agape ( ) posted Sun, 28 August 2016 at 8:41 PM

Did you not get the 58 page pdf in the Poser version?

Mythico ( ) posted Sun, 28 August 2016 at 9:22 PM · edited Sun, 28 August 2016 at 9:24 PM

I bought into VWD a week ago and there's a 58 page PDF in the unzipped folder, path = Runtime/Python/poserScripts/VWD/VWDClothANDHair.PDF

agape ( ) posted Sun, 28 August 2016 at 9:31 PM

I printed it out and it's in a notebook for study.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 1:37 PM

@wtimmins : You are right, emulate various kinds of cloth is not in the documentation. I wrote some lines on this subject because It is almost impossible to define settings which will have a reproductible behaviour because the simulation depends on the mesh. If you take several clothes in the marketplace, they will have several behaviours using the same parameters. I am writing a new version which will allow to define some behaviours. By using the subdivision, it could be possible to define materials (Cotton, Polyester, etc...). This new version will be ready in two or three weeks.

@agape and @Mythico : Yes, the documentation exists but it is not fully up to date. I have to improve it. I just ask you a little time.

Smaker1 ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 3:17 PM

@Gerald: many thanks for your last tutorials they gave me plenty of tips . Continue the good work 😄

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Fri, 02 September 2016 at 4:29 PM

My decision is taken ;-(( I will make my next tutorials in English. Be careful with your ears. I want to create a first video tutorial in English for a very simple example. If the forum is not submerged by many discontent posts, I will continue.

agape ( ) posted Fri, 02 September 2016 at 5:45 PM

I think this plugin is awesome! However, it would be nice to know what all the buttons and value do. I have lots of ideas to play with this but don't know what to do. An in-depth tutorial would really be helpful!!

Mythico ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2016 at 12:45 PM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 12:37PM Tue, 06 September 2016 - #4281979

My decision is taken ;-(( I will make my next tutorials in English. Be careful with your ears. I want to create a first video tutorial in English for a very simple example. If the forum is not submerged by many discontent posts, I will continue.

Frenchified English always sounds kinda sexy so my ears will be fine.

I will definitely make noise about terminology choices! Like...a petty protest: can you use the word 'attach to' instead of 'tie to'? I always see a ribbon or rope knot with "tie to"! Biscuits used the word 'glue', which also makes more sense! lol

Just joking...we'll translate accordingly, and will keep asking you confusing questions until kingdom comes...

I hope with clearer tut people will get a chance to check out this game changing, super-fun to use tool!

agape ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2016 at 12:13 AM

I will make a suggestion too. You used the word "displacement" in your pdf. It took a little while for me to figure out what you were saying. You meant "movement". Please understand that "displacement" in 3d has a very different meaning, having to do with surfaces (ie, bump maps, displacement and normal maps are all in the same category).

tomyee ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2016 at 10:19 AM

@Gerald: I am very glad to hear you will try to do tutorials in english, there is still much I do not understand about VWD so more tutorials is certainly better. I did not hear from my friend if he is interested in helping with the translation/subtitles, I emailed him again to ask if he has any interest but there has been no reply :( I think he may be too busy with his job, even to read his mail...

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2016 at 6:36 PM

@Mythico, @agape : I want to rewrite the documentation to expand it and improve it. I will use your remarks.

Hello Thomas. Yes I decided to make my future tutorials in English. I will improve myself with time.

Mythico ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2016 at 2:06 AM · edited Mon, 12 September 2016 at 2:20 AM

Hi VWD... Here's more suggestions on documentation rewrite...

Page 10. Simulation of a Conforming Cloth

first line > A conforming cloth is a cloth which consists of several parts separated from each other.

By standard definition (as well as Daz3D lingo), a conforming CLOTHING is a clothing prop which is skinned to automatically conform to specific character figures/ rigs.

But that is clearly not what you're trying to communicate!

You're trying to convey the idea of unwelded multiple polymeshes in one single scene object.

Some, but not all Daz/Carrara conforming clothing products come with unwelded parts.

The fact that Poser conforming clothing tend to be broken up at the group seams, is a unique Poser phenomenon (and program flaw).

This means, the first two lines of Page 10 is highly ?????? to non-Poser users - even the experienced riggers, and brain scrambling to Daz-only users and beginners.

Rewrite suggestion:

Section title: Simulation of MULTI-PART Clothing.

first line > A MULTI-PART cloth actor which consists of several parts separated from each other.

Also, wording specificity is vital or it'll scrambled already-overtaxed readers who are mostly soft physics sim beginners:

Cloth = a piece of fabric, typically a 3D plane.

Daz/ Poser Cloth = modeled wardrobe object with arm holes etc; could be conforming, or prop object, or newly imported geometry/ OBJ/ FBX.

IMO, in this case, Clothing is a preferred term, just to differentiate from a plane shape fabric piece kind of 'cloth'.

Cloth actor = the soft participant of the current simulation session (as opposed to the Collision Actor, as opposed to general Clothing items).

IMO, SOFT actor is a better choice in VWD's case, which includes either Cloth actor or Hair actor, and previous session Soft actor in case of layered sim. Also for differentiation.

I understand some of these words/ labels are already concretised into the plugin UI...

Plugin UI labeling and documentation consistency need to be maintained.

Stiffness vs Softness. Stiffening vs Rigidification. All valid. But whichever the choice, need to stick to it throughout the documentation...

I think a Glossary on Page 2 or 3, before the step by step instruction, will make a huge difference.

The concept of UNImesh and Multi Polymesh need to be introduced upfront, especially in cloth sim for non-professionals. (also opportunity to highlight one of the main selling points of VWD)

Cheers

Mythico ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2016 at 2:28 AM · edited Mon, 12 September 2016 at 2:29 AM

I wanted to edit some more, but the Renderosity forum robot locked the Edit button after a few minutes.

Rewriting the Rewrite suggestion

Rewrite suggestion:

Section title: Simulation of MULTI-PART Clothing.

first line > A MULTI-PART cloth actor which consists of separate geometry parts.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2016 at 2:24 PM

@agape and @Mythico : The documentation is pretty old, I want to rewrite it by including the new functions written in the program. I make numerical simulation from many years but not in the field of cloth or hair simulation. By writing the documentation, I tried to found the right words to explain my project. Sometimes, I used a word without knowing its exact definition (cloth, clothes, clothing, garment). You are right, it is necessary to make a difference between the cloth actor and the piece of cloth. I will use your text to correct the documentation, thanks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.