Sat, Oct 5, 11:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 11:25 am)

Subject: World War uniforms for Victoria 4

Cyberdene ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2016 at 4:18 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 11:29 AM

You know I've been wondering if anyone gave any thought about World War 1 and World War 2 military uniforms for Victoria 4, and I'm talking about uniforms from various countries that were involved in the war, not just the United States. I already found a Germany uniform for both Michael 4 and Victoria 4, downside to the V4 version is it's missing the Nazi symbol, the Michael 4 version has it though, their both quite expensive...$20 I believe, so I haven't purchased them yet, hoping for a price drop. Likewise I was wondering if anyone else thought about World War uniforms, or know anyone that would be interested in designing some clothes for V4. url (3).jpg

willdial ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2016 at 9:41 PM

These are the only ones I could find. And they don't really match up.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/hongyus-militarygirl-for-v4/64369/ https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/dress-uniform-v4-for-poser-/92833/ http://www.daz3d.com/girl-4-army-pinup

Maybe you could mix and match.

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2016 at 10:50 PM

Uniforms can (from my experience) be somewhat hard to find. Especially when you're trying to find something reasonably accurate.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2016 at 5:58 AM

Can you use dynamic clothing?.... I can probably put together a basic set of uniform jackets. I use MD, and have reference images for the period.

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2016 at 7:21 AM · edited Mon, 22 August 2016 at 7:22 AM

Basic uniform jacket WIP.... Once I have the basic done, I can alter it for the different service branches. Pleated breast pocket, large patch pockets below.

WW2Women.jpg

RosemaryR

Howy2012 ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 3:45 AM

Rosemaryr posted at 3:44AM Fri, 26 August 2016 - #4280751

Basic uniform jacket WIP.... Once I have the basic done, I can alter it for the different service branches. Pleated breast pocket, large patch pockets below.

WW2Women.jpg

I would love to have this!

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 9:20 AM

(Wasn't sure if the OP was still interested, but having at least one person is enough to continue with it......)

Okay, give me a week or so, and I'll announce it here.... It will be put up on my normal ShareCG spot. I plan one with shirt + skirt + tie, for office scenes, and one with the jacket and a (false) shirtfront + cuffs showing for outdoor/formal scenes.

RosemaryR

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2016 at 12:21 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

This looks great Rosemaryr! Thank you for your generosity! I'm pretty sure the OP hasn't replied because of the broken ebots. I rarely get them so I have to keep track of threads that interest me by bookmarking.

3Dave ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2016 at 6:09 AM

More encouragement for Rosemaryr, uniform Jacket looks great!

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2016 at 10:14 AM

smile

Testing out khaki colors. Flipped the normals on the lapels, since they will have to be single layers for Poser's limited cloth sim (...sorry, SmithMicro, but MD has spoiled me!) Using the latest MD beta... (version 6 will be out soon), buttons (fastened and unfastened) will be available, so I gave those a try-out. Need to finish the collar and epaulletes (spelling?) and a few tests in the Poser cloth room. The skirt will be much easier...! WW2Women2.jpg

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 8:54 AM

Current status.... just need a few more details, then on to Poserizing it. WW2OliveDrab.jpg

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 9:30 AM

More detailing...a tie WW2_tie.jpg

RosemaryR

willshetterly ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 9:39 AM

Looks great! I'm sure it'll have a lot of happy users.

Howy2012 ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 11:15 AM

Looking great!!!

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 11:40 AM
Online Now!

The blouse and skirt look great. The Jacket, however, appears too formfitting, looks very awkward. It should be a loose fit at the waist.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 29 August 2016 at 9:33 PM · edited Mon, 29 August 2016 at 9:35 PM

I will loosen it up a bit, but the women's jackets (in the written descriptions and in all the reference photos) refer to a 'nipped' waist, and fitting darts are visible. I think it is more that the cut above the waist (just under the armpits) is -too- loose, in fact... causing it to look even more nipped at the waist by comparison. Of course, V4 is not the typical body shape of a real woman, and I am working from an actual pattern, so adjustments are to be expected. grin

RosemaryR

Howy2012 ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 10:40 AM

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/c/b/pretty-us-army-wac-girl-in-hat-uniform-1940s-wwii-photo-2805-da15170876348f4860dac84d2870ba11.jpg

Howy2012 ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 10:43 AM

Howy2012 posted at 10:42AM Wed, 31 August 2016 - #4281648

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/c/b/pretty-us-army-wac-girl-in-hat-uniform-1940s-wwii-photo-2805-da15170876348f4860dac84d2870ba11.jpg

Some versions were also belted at the waist, but the jackets all seem to have a narrow waist, whether or not the actual women did (led to some amusing puckering in photos I have seen)

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 11:38 AM

Yes, they do seem to have gone for a more 'feminine' look rather than a pratical one, which is what we would expect today.

Eventually, I hope to have several variants: some with a belt, some with the pockets on the inside of the jacket (thus only showing the welting where the pocket is). I figure that there were enough variations during the war that one of what I do will suit the users' needs. I am planning this first set to be khaki oriented: a dark jacket and skirt with light khaki blouse, and an all light khaki set to represent the 'summer/tropical' oufit. Later, I will do a set of blue (Navy) and dark green (WMC), plus maybe a set of caps to go with them.

RosemaryR

Howy2012 ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 11:45 AM

Rosemaryr posted at 11:45AM Wed, 31 August 2016 - #4281654

Yes, they do seem to have gone for a more 'feminine' look rather than a pratical one, which is what we would expect today.

Eventually, I hope to have several variants: some with a belt, some with the pockets on the inside of the jacket (thus only showing the welting where the pocket is). I figure that there were enough variations during the war that one of what I do will suit the users' needs. I am planning this first set to be khaki oriented: a dark jacket and skirt with light khaki blouse, and an all light khaki set to represent the 'summer/tropical' oufit. Later, I will do a set of blue (Navy) and dark green (WMC), plus maybe a set of caps to go with them.

Fantastic!!

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 12:12 PM

Finished construction of the khaki set: collar, epaulettes, and loads of buttons!
Now to see how much can survive the Poserization process! (shudder!) (P.S. I will make the full outfit available in MD format ... provided you have the MD 6 version, when it comes out....)

khaki1.jpg

RosemaryR

Howy2012 ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 12:18 PM

That looks great!

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 1:01 PM

I can only go by documentaries and the movies. I only recall two women in a German uniform, They were both the last two Indiana Jones movies. The Americans of course, The British as well and yes the Russians I've seen gals in uniform. The Japanese and the Italians, No. I don't recall ever seeing a female in uniform. I'm not saying they didn't have them...I just don't recall seeing them. Here is some Allied reference

wwii-women-ads-smoking.jpg

I could've included German references but the sheer of amount of nazi girls was staggering.

RobZhena ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2016 at 3:57 AM

Spectacular work!

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2016 at 12:16 PM

Just a quick update.... I am in the middle of making the uniform 'Poser-ready' with material zones (for easy texturing/etc.) and dynamic settings for the Cloth Room. This takes a bit of testing to get things to my satisfaction, before I release a freebie. Anyway, here is the first (successful, to my mind) Cloth Room test, of the inner uniform (skirt, shirt and tie).
KhakiPromo.jpg

I will probably have to do some modifications, in order to get the jacket working with the inner uniform. We'll see how that goes....

RosemaryR

LPR001 ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2016 at 8:15 AM · edited Thu, 08 September 2016 at 8:16 AM

Very good work Rosemaryr. I think it is going to turn out great

- Johnny G

"Try animation to get things moving"

lpr001@renderosity.com

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2016 at 10:17 AM

Fantastic !

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2016 at 9:25 PM

Thanks, all! Been having a bit of bother with the jacket. Since I am using a MD beta for the buttons, it is still a bit twitchy on the export. But I almost have it done.

RosemaryR

Howy2012 ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2016 at 7:45 AM

Looking fantastic, Rosemary!!

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2016 at 5:21 PM

Big smile

You'll be happy to hear that I *finally got the export of the jacket to work properly (...with the buttons intact! Yeah!), and the first round of testing in Poser looks good. Now, to see how well it reacts with the skirt/shirt combo garment. Onward! Excelsior!

Nearly there, folks!!

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2016 at 11:03 AM

(Setbacks.... bleh)

The buttons are proving to be problematic inside Poser. I may have to abandon them after all. sigh And I was so hoping to have them work consistently.....

RosemaryR

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2016 at 12:55 PM
Online Now!

Can I ask a question?

Why are you modeling the buttons as part of the jacket?

Buttons don't warp or flex or anything else if you make them as props.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2016 at 8:11 AM

I use Marvelous Designer to make my outfits.
I am not, by any means, a traditional modeler, so "making them as props" doesn't really fit my workflow. My outfits (dynamic clothing) are themselves props. Can you make props that stick to other props? Does that even work? These are questions that I would need help with, to follow that approach. In the latest version of MD, the ability to have buttons was added, and I was overjoyed.... finally I could have that bit of detailing from the start. Unfortunately, it seems to still be a hit-or-miss thing on the export from MD, and in Poser, the buttons don't behave in a consistent manner.
The first (inner) uniform set, with the skirt, shirt and tie, had buttons that worked, in Poser. So, I was expecting the buttons on the jacket to work as well, but they haven't.

(I will try some experiments, and see if I can make the buttons as separate props....)

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2016 at 10:02 AM

Well, the first experiment hit a dead-end. I can get the buttons into Poser by themselves, and they are in the correct position at the start. But, I can't find a way to make them 'stick' to the jacket.... using "Change Parent" doesn't list the jacket as an available Parent object.

Any suggestion?

RosemaryR

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2016 at 10:41 AM

Are the buttons as constrained group ?

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2016 at 11:34 AM

So you think that my solution would be in how they are grouped? (....this is all new territory for me...) I'll give it a try.

RosemaryR

3Dave ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2016 at 1:16 PM

For cloth simulation items like buttons and buckles should be in the Rigid Decorated group not the Constrained group. They should also be part of the cloth item geometry, not separate props. I'm not familiar with MD but a solution may be to import the the jacket into Poser in a scene without a figure, import and position the buttons, try re-parenting them then. Then file>export wavefront obj from Poser with "weld bodyparts" selected. In a new scene with V4 loaded import the obj you just made, position and scale it. In the cloth room edit the rigid decorated group and select the buttons

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2016 at 2:16 PM

HA! Yes, that seems to have done it! The buttons are now acting much more properly.
I will have to remember that.... import them separately, export them with the garment, then re-import the whole thing.

More testing ahead, but that certainly solves a few problems.

RosemaryR

3Dave ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2016 at 1:29 AM

Glad the re-import trick worked. Another Grouping that might help is to add pockets, lapels. collar, epaulettes to the Soft Decorated group.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2016 at 3:40 PM

Yeah, I've done that Soft Decorated and Constrained thing, too. Still have problems in Poser with the buttons, however, and the MD export of the buttons is still iffy, as to consistency..... I'm getting random buttons deciding that they don't want to be part of the group and when the Cloth sim runs, they go off on their own. I'm almost ready to give up on them for the moment. The full uniform with jacket works pretty fine when no buttons are there, so I may just go with that.... Since this will be a freebie, I want to get this wrapped up and posted, and get on to the next variation.

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2016 at 11:59 AM

Sorry for the lack of posting on this.... I do this in my spare time, and there just hasn't been much of that lately.
But, I am in the final stages... so hopefully, (dare I say it?) ...soon...

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Tue, 11 October 2016 at 12:23 PM · edited Tue, 11 October 2016 at 12:26 PM

I have (finally!) gotten the uniforms finished and uploaded. Two different props, one with a jacket, and one without. Also two matching material library settings for the dark and light khaki versions of each. They are up at my ShareCG site... just do a search for Rosemaryr (I don't want to offend the PTB by putting it in a link...) KhakiPromo1.jpgKhakiPromo2.jpg

My humble apologies for taking so much longer than I anticipated! I will try to get the other (Navy blues and Marine greens) out quicker.

RosemaryR

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 12 October 2016 at 9:24 AM

WOW great !!!

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 12 October 2016 at 1:03 PM · edited Wed, 12 October 2016 at 1:05 PM

Thanks!

The next two sets should be quicker: I just have to tweak a few details to make each set closer to the service's standards. Then, the Poser testing, which should be quicker, now that I know the main outfit works. First up, Navy blues and whites. No lower pockets, the upper pockets are only indicated with the pocket flap, and it will need a different tie. NavyWW2.jpg

RosemaryR

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 12 October 2016 at 4:21 PM

Nice job!

...... Kendra

3Dave ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2016 at 12:05 PM

Thank you to Rosemaryr! Anyone got suggestions for shoes to be worn with this outfit?

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2016 at 12:54 PM · edited Thu, 13 October 2016 at 12:55 PM

Heh! Good question!
The shoes should be screaming 'practical'... low, chunky heel, laced up front, rounded toes.
The closest thing I could find off-hand is from an outfit by Teyon https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/nun-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s-/114701</https:>
But that outfit is for the Gen3 females, not Victoria. I don't know how well you can convert shoes from G3 to V4.

There are some nice reference images here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/195695546278089148</https:>

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/195695546278089170</https:>

RosemaryR

3Dave ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2016 at 3:26 PM

@Rosemaryr Thanks for the reminder, the reference images prompted me to use these shoes from the 30's Everyday Dress Set from that other place. The heel is a bit too high for military purposes and when I try an "authentic" scene I'll probably try converting a pair of M4's Oxford ShoesWW2Dress01.png

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 14 October 2016 at 8:33 AM

They actually look pretty good! While I have no doubt that for drill and formation, the women would use their lower heeled shoes, I bet they tried pushing the size when at the office. Even in service, the desire to be attractive would be a strong one for the time. Glamor was big, even in the military!

RosemaryR

JimTS ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2016 at 8:32 PM

epauletes (sp)?

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2016 at 10:01 AM

Sorry... I work full-time retail and we are just heading into the busy season of the year. Some days, I get home and just want to crawl into bed. This isn't a goodbye to the project; just a minor delay. I will get the other versions done, I promise.

RosemaryR

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.