Wed, Sep 18, 2:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: Has anyone seen this kind of error?

will2power ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2016 at 5:41 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 7:18 AM

I am working on a Windows 10 machine with dual xeon processors and 64gb or RAM. VWD has done this on both my desktop and laptop and it will not go through a basic simulation for clothing.

VWD Error.jpg

npayn ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2016 at 9:43 PM

Yes. It has been mentioned in the "Errors And Potential Bugs: Please Post Errors In This Thread" thread.

It has nothing to do with hardware. It is a software limitation. The parameters you have set may be trying to generate more springs than the software can handle. Try changing the "Extended stiffness" setting back to the defaults. If that does not work try using the "Use springs reduction" checkbox. There is more detail on it mentioned in the "Errors And Potential Bugs: Please Post Errors In This Thread" thread.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2016 at 3:58 PM

Hello will2power,

I hope my sitemail message will help you.

In the next version I will replace this message by "Too many springs generated, you must change the parameters".

This message will be more precise and will help a bit more.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

Writers_Block ( ) posted Wed, 05 October 2016 at 2:33 PM

To be honest, multiple 10s of millions of springs are not fun to simulate anyway. 35 million was the most I had during beta, and I went to make a coffee. :)

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2016 at 2:49 AM

@Writers_Block : you are right, When the program has to manage more than 20 millions springs, it is necessary to have a computer with a lot of threads. Some clothes and some hair have many vertices and the number of springs is proportional to them. Now, it is necessary, for me, to write a very efficient decimation function or perhaps two different decimation functions. The clothes and the hair are not created using the same method but it is necessary to reduce this number of springs.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

Writers_Block ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2016 at 2:56 PM · edited Fri, 07 October 2016 at 2:57 PM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 8:50PM Fri, 07 October 2016 - #4285913

@Writers_Block : you are right, When the program has to manage more than 20 millions springs, it is necessary to have a computer with a lot of threads. Some clothes and some hair have many vertices and the number of springs is proportional to them. Now, it is necessary, for me, to write a very efficient decimation function or perhaps two different decimation functions. The clothes and the hair are not created using the same method but it is necessary to reduce this number of springs.

I have a good overclocked i7; I don't usually run it overclocked as not worth the extra wear and tear. It is a good games machine (I don't play games), but it is not a powerful computer. That might not be what those with overclocked i7s for games might think, but when your're doing rendering and simulating dual xeons with lots of graphic ability too are what is called a powerful computer; and in the that world, they're entry level when you think the size of the systems used for rendering. :)

My reasons for posting this, is that rendering and simulating is different, there is no such thing as enough - never mind too much - processing power... Sadly.

So always pay as much as you can, getting as much performance as you can in a desktop; it can be a very expensive hobby.

But it's fun too.

And clever folks constantly come up with software that does stuff not previously availble at the price we can afford.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.