Wed, Sep 18, 2:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: How do you modify the mesh for a Conforming Shirt?

hamiltonpl ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 5:28 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 2:02 PM

I have a shirt in Poser that has been through Wardrobe Wizard and is stored in the WW folder. The CR2 file points to a new OBJ in the Wardrobe Wizard folder inside the GEOMETRIES folder. I know how to take that OBJ into BLENDER and subdivide thereby creating more verts and detail. After replacing the original OBJ with the new more detailed OBJ - I am able to get a more detailed rendering with the texture. This process works flawlessly for me.

However, if I want to ADD striping to the clothing OBJ in Blender - I perorm a JOIN commmand and the striping is part of the mesh. I export that mesh back out to the GEOMERTRIES folder and the original shirt CR2 points to the new OBJ with the striping on the shirt. BUT - when I load it to the scene - the additional detail that I've added is NOT THERE.

I can modify the existing shirt and push and pull faces and geometries in all directions and it will be there when I load the shirt. But, if I ADD detail and then join it to the original mesh - the added detail just doesn't show.

What step am I missing?

Thanks.

Windows 10 - Poser Pro 2012 - 64Bit - 24GB RAM - 4 x 3.40 GHZ processor

ironsoul ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 5:43 PM

Could it be material related, ie new geometry has a default not defined in Poser

hamiltonpl ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 6:09 PM

Well then why would it recognize the subdivided mesh with no issue at all? Essentially, subdividing doubles the verts etc. and seems to create no issue with the OBJ.

hamiltonpl ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 6:16 PM

Noname.jpg

On the left is the modified OBJ with a simple cube JOINED to the mesh, however when the same OBJ is referenced in a CR2 file - the CUBE is missing?!?

hamiltonpl ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 6:22 PM

Noname.jpg

Okay so when I manipulate faces that are connected to each other and create a mess on the left chest area - they DO show up. Does it have to do with how the cube is attached to the mesh? The cube is there but is isn't really part of the shirt CHEST area?

SteveCampsOut ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 8:03 PM · edited Wed, 30 November 2016 at 8:04 PM

Did you assign a material zone to the new mesh and make sure the CR2 references the new material zone? Also the new mesh needs to be added to the proper groups of chest and shoulder by regrouping the OBJ file before you export it out. If it's not part of any group it won't show up.

hamiltonpl ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 8:48 PM

I think so. When I import the orginal OBJ - I do so in a way that doesn't show the groups. If I subdivide and then export out - then the CR2 picks it up and the subdivide shows. But the part I add is not really part of a group - i get that.

So, if I import it into Blender in such a way that all groupings are shown - I add the mesh to the CHEST group - SELECT ALL and re-export it. When I do that - NOTHING shows when adding the CR2 to the scene.

Something is missing......for sure.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 8:53 PM

Someone with more experience than I have can probably tell you for sure, but I believe your problem is with the cr2. It does more than just tell you where to find the object file. it also tells you where each vertex is supposed to go in 3D space. That's what all those numbers are for. If the cr2 doesn't know the vertexes are there it doesn't know where to put them, so it doesn't bother with them.

hamiltonpl ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 9:18 PM · edited Wed, 30 November 2016 at 9:19 PM

Well then that makes sense. How do I get those new details into the CR2 - with the same bones if possible?

the weird thing is then how does the CR2 know about the added detail after the subdivide? Granted - the basic shape has not chaned - except when I fooled around with the left shoulder in the pic above.

ironsoul ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 11:36 PM · edited Wed, 30 November 2016 at 11:43 PM

Subdiv is not the same as adding new verts. With subdiv the program is splitting an existing face, its possible for the 3D app to take the hidden information like vertex order, texture set and UV coords from the parent face and apply them to the sub div verts. New verts the app may assign its own defaults. I don't use Blender, my post was just a general "have you checked that" prompt based on problems I've had with other apps. One thought is to load the obj into Poser using the import function as a test as that shouldn't make any assumptions about the mesh and you can use it to weld and change normals.

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 11:49 PM

Ensure that the new geometry contains groups to match the shirt.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Thu, 01 December 2016 at 7:50 AM

When you add geometry there are 3-4 things to do.

• Add the new geometry to the material zones => In Blender
  • Add the new geometry to the vertex groups they cover. (For you example that might be partial to the collar and partial to the chest vertex groups. => In Blender
  • If the clothing is weightmapped, you also have to repaint the weightmap. => in Poser
  • If the clothing is conventionally mapped be sure that all new geometry is inside the fall off zones of the joints using the Joint editor. => In Poser

best regards, Tony

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.