Sun, Oct 6, 9:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Gamma correction makes everybody turn green!

ElZagna ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 1:34 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:28 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Well, almost everybody. Here are a couple of renders, one with gamma correction and one without:

Gamma Correction set to 2.2: P11 Gamma 2.2_cr.png

Gamma Correction Off: P11 Gamma off_cr.png

These are all default textures that came with the model. Two lights - one IBL set to 33% and one infinite set to 75%. Besides the green cast, the gamma corrected image seems flat. I think BB has recommended turning down any IBL and upping any direct lights when using GC, so that might explain the flatness, but not the green.

So what's going on here? Why do some of the gals look like Martians and others OK (more or less)?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 2:22 PM

Because they use a trick to "improve" their look, which doesn't work in later versions of Poser. Use SnarlyGribbly's EZSkin script to fix it, then try again.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 2:39 PM

The trick Sam is talking about is using a slightly blue chip in the diffuse of the skin material. If you open the mat room and look at any of the skin materials for your figure you will notice the color selector near the top of the Poser root node that is labeled "Diffuse" is blue and there is a skin map plugged into it. Change the color chip to white and the weird tint goes away.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 3:10 PM

That works, too. Snarly's script, however, does much more than that. It will sort out the Gamma, then give you a really nice SubSurfaceScattering shader. The price is right, too.

My Store

My Gallery

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 3:25 PM

One should know why and how things work so they don't get stuck later on.

ElZagna ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 3:27 PM

Ohhhhh! I've always wondered why all those skin textures had that blue tint added to the diffuse color. Yep, that pretty much did it.

So before you check that little Gamma Correction box on the Render Properties you should be aware that:

1. In some cases (many, most?) your skin textures will need to be modified;
  2. Your old light settings may need adjusting;
  3. Anything else?

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 4:10 PM

trans maps should be set to gamma 1.0. In other words you don't want gamma affecting transparency maps and setting each trans map's gamma to 1.0 will do this. As Sam mentioned EZSkin and Scene Fixer will do this for an entire figure or scene all at once.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 4:42 PM

You're right about how and why; I'm so used to using SceneFixer and EZSkin that it never occurred to me to explain further. A regrettable oversight. :)

My Store

My Gallery

ElZagna ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2016 at 11:56 PM

And I found this from an old post by BB: "For any "image" that is actually data, not a picture you look at, you need to make sure it doesn't get modified by the GC system."

So for transparencies, bump and displacement maps set GC to 1.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2016 at 12:35 AM

free 2d gimp can adjust color easy.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

ironsoul ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2016 at 12:44 AM

Not tried it myself but have seen people put white and black objects in the scene so they can colour balance afterwards. Curious to know why IBL and not IDL lighting?

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2016 at 5:16 AM

The simple trick is to remember is that:

• All colored maps should be loaded at GC 2.2 in the advanced material room.
  • All Black and white maps should be loaded at GC 1.00 (Transmaps, Bumpmaps, Displacement maps and yes Normal maps)

Then remove all the old style "faking", (mostly that is to remove that light blue in the Diffuse color, and start with a single Infinite light set to 75% intensity inside a Dome)

• Then remember that we are 2016 now => and ALWAYS render with IDL set to ON and at 100%, and GC set to 2.2 in the render settings.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2016 at 5:20 AM

PS; The last time I used an IBL was 8 years ago. LOL. (We are 2016/2017 after all.) But some things die hard. LOL.

Remember that render engines improve, lights improve, every Poser version gets better and better.

But old style content needs to be adapted.

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2016 at 9:21 AM

On a similar note. In some older shaders an ambient setting was added, causing a slight blue glow to the figure that looks a little creepy in some renders. Just turn that off and color pick to black and that will be taken care of ... or of course fix with EZskin.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

ByteFactory3D ( ) posted Sat, 17 December 2016 at 7:01 PM

tonyvilters posted at 1:41AM Sun, 18 December 2016 - #4292216

The simple trick is to remember is that:

• All colored maps should be loaded at GC 2.2 in the advanced material room.
  • All Black and white maps should be loaded at GC 1.00 (Transmaps, Bumpmaps, Displacement maps and yes Normal maps)

Then remove all the old style "faking", (mostly that is to remove that light blue in the Diffuse color, and start with a single Infinite light set to 75% intensity inside a Dome)

• Then remember that we are 2016 now => and ALWAYS render with IDL set to ON and at 100%, and GC set to 2.2 in the render settings.

Yep, very good summary of the basics here :-)

I do this for 2 or 3 years already. My Skydome texture is connected to ambient only, (also to diffuse, but diffuse value set to zero, this is only to make the sky texture visible in the preview). So this skydome set to 0.6 ambient value basically emitts all the light needed (I also have Bagginsbill's light meter and gamma meter in my standard startup scene and only delete them for the final renders). Then a single infinite light which is my sun, set to white and intensity=60%. Crank it up to 70% if I want very strong sunlight impression. Of course the light is set to 'Raytrace Shadows' with a blur radius of 3 or 4. Then with these specifics set as standard in my outdoor startup scene, my standard render settings for scene development (and I have even done many promo images for content with just these settings) are like in the attached screenshot.

Me too I have never again used IBL lighting for at least 3 years, since introduction of IDL in Poser.

Prior to introduction of IDL and GC, Poser users (including myself since 2001) were used to use far too much and strong lighting in our scenes, to compensate for the missing indirect lighting and other flaws. But like Tonyvilters said, this is bad habits from the past and should definitely be changed according to our nowadays equipment (unless you are using an older Poser version without GC and IDL, of course). Back in those days, I could never have imagined lighting a scene with only ambient light from a skydome (set as low as 0.6!!) and a single infinite light (also set as low as 60%)... In those days we used to have 5, or 10 or even 20 light sources in our scenes, and it was common they were all set to ridiculous high ranges, sometimes even cranked up to 200 or 250 percent... Resulting in those redish tints and other colors, this is why Victoria 4 had even a blue tint baked in her texture shader by default (and she looks extremely bluish nowadays in a modern lighting setup, when loaded with her standard shaders :-) ) PromoSettingsFirefly.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't render faster than your artistic Guardian Angel can fly... ;-)

Poser 5 to Poser Pro 11, Lightwave 11.6.3, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Substance B2M, Filter Forge 9, Blacksmith3D 6 Pro, Easy Pose 2, UV-Layout Pro, UVMapper Pro, Paintshop Pro 2019, Python, Pz3editor, PHI Hierarchy Builder, Headshop 12, Lux-Render, Reality3D, numerous utility programs

jura11 ( ) posted Sun, 18 December 2016 at 5:24 AM

Hi there

I would recommend to use Snarly Scene Fixer,if you are not using Scene Fixer then there can be yours problem as you first render with GC OFF(or set at 1.0) and textures are already set at 1.0 and then you render with GC ON(2.2) and textures or render is washed out which is pretty normal there,I would recommend when you switching from GC OFF to GC ON to use Scene Fixer as this does helps with that and finally lighting with Gamma Correction ON you don't need to use too many lights as with Gamma Correction turned OFF and finally IBL lights doesn't works as intended with Gamma Correction turned ON

Here are two renders which I've done,in both cases I've used same light setup,same figure etc

This one is with Gamma Correction OFF V4 GC OFF.jpg

This one is with Gamma Correction ON V4 GC ON.jpg

And here are my render settings

FF render settings.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.