Mon, Oct 21, 10:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: How do I re-calculate a figure's normals in Poser?

trepleen ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2017 at 11:29 PM ยท edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 7:19 PM

I morphed a figure heavily in Zbrush via Goz and unfortunately this results in messed up normals.

Is there a way to re-calculate normals in Poser? Any scripts, tools or something?

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2017 at 11:40 PM

You could delete the normal lines from the obj file and get Poser to recalculate them when you import it into Poser. Another method is to open the file in UVMapper and go to Tools > Normals >Smooth. Then resave the file.

ironsoul ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 1:48 AM

Curious to know how one would apply the FBM once the Goz link is broken, I never had much luck of getting these back into Poser via obj method (individual groups I was ok with).

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 8:13 AM

What version of Poser do you have. There are a couple ways to do this.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 11:13 AM

Say or show more because the question as presented can't be answered. Poser doesn't read your vertex normals from the obj file. It calculates them on its own at all times. So asking us how to force it to recalculate them cannot be answered - it already and always does. Something else has gone wrong that you're not aware of.

Show.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 11:26 AM

Actually let me revise what I said. We have had (in the past) evidence that Poser doesn't respect the vertex normal information in an OBJ file. At other times we have had claims that it does. I'm actually no longer certain since it is very well possible Poser 11 does something completely different.

In any case, I think that seeing would help.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ironsoul ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 12:47 PM

If the morphed figure is larger than the base figure it may be possible to use the ZBrush Project function to transfer the shape, ie load up the base figure in Poser and Goz to ZB. Load the "broken" figure into ZB, append it to the base figure subtool and project. Once the shape is projected onto the base figure you can use Goz to apply the morphs back into Poser.

trepleen ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2017 at 3:21 PM

Boni posted at 3:16PM Fri, 22 December 2017 - #4295707

Poser 11.

I'm dying to know how to fix this.

trepleen ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2017 at 11:16 PM

trepleen posted at 11:15PM Fri, 22 December 2017 - #4320849

Boni posted at 3:16PM Fri, 22 December 2017 - #4295707

Poser 11.

I'm dying to know how to fix this.

I can export the entire figure as an OBJ and when I re-import it as an obj the normals are all fixed, but I lose all the rigging and morphs and all figure functionality.

trepleen ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2017 at 10:52 AM

I really need to fix this. Is there any python script that can re-calculate a figures normals? I can show you guys a screenshot, but i've already tested and confirmed it's the normals.

If I export the figure as an OBJ and re-import it, the normals get fixed.

trepleen ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2017 at 1:01 PM ยท edited Sat, 23 December 2017 at 1:03 PM

GOOD NEWS, thanks to Caisson. https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2765/is-there-a-script-or-anyway-to-re-calculate-a-figures-normals/14

SOLUTION If you want to unify aka re-calculate the normals of your figure do this:

• Go to **figure **---> Skinning Method ---> Poser UNIMESH

That forces the figure to re-calculate it's normals. I'm not sure if this will work for non-poser figures like V4. I'm using G2Jessi.

I'm going to explain this problem in depth for everyone.

Let's take G2Jessi. She's a human figure in poser. All human figures in poser are made up of separate geometry. This means the RightCollar is actually separate at the vertex level from RightShoulder. Those two meshes don't have their vertex welded. If you export the figure to Zbrush GOZ and modify the geometry where the two body parts are not welded too much, you'll get a problem with shading in regards to the normals, so they need to be re-calculated or unified which is what it's called in 3d studio max. This problem only happens when you morph the areas inbetween body parts TOO MUCH, but sometimes that's necessary.

If anyone knows ANY other way to force a figure to re-calculate it's normals please let me know. It would be ideal to just have a button or script I can run that does this.

I now know of two ways.

1. Export the figure as OBj and re-import it using the OBJ import option to re-calculate normals.
  2. Switch the figure's skinning from poser traditional to poser unimesh.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.