Sun, Oct 6, 10:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Rendering "Ghost in the Shell"

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2017 at 8:13 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 10:28 AM

With the latest adaptation of Masamune Shirow's iconic cyberpunk police drama finally in theaters, I thought it made sense to start a thread where artists can depict their interpretations of the material.

Motoko Kusanagi has long been a popular subject within the Poser/DAZ community with representations dating back at least to the days of Poser 4. (Japanese artists made a pre-clothed figure derived from the P4 nude woman, "Posette", depicting Motoko in her "cyber-dive" suit.) When Aiko 3 arrived, Shukky released a "screen accurate" version of Kusangi's outfit from the first season of "Stand Alone Complex" and Nerd offered a similar "in the spirit" ensemble. There's even a complete "stand-alone" figure (yes, I see the irony) of Motoko in the same costume available in Renderosity's free stuff section. (Well, "was" as the download link no longer seems valid.) BugzLife once offered a few clothing collections for Aiko 3 that would have fit within Shirow's narrative.

So to start, here's my example.

A3-Motoko-J-1.jpg

It's Aiko 3 wearing a few elements for Nerd's "Hex" set, the leotard and grieves, mixed with the "Lotus" jacket, the Tail Gunner "Kickers" and the gloves from one of BugzLife's sets. Motoko's distinctive hairstyle is Lisbeth's free Paris hair with a morph created by lil' ol' moi. wink

Let's see what renders others have to show.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2017 at 8:29 AM

Great start!

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

cschell ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2017 at 1:00 PM · edited Tue, 04 April 2017 at 1:04 PM

Nice job on Motoko there! Masamune Shirow is my all-time favorite anime/manga artist. I own copies of all of his poster books, and have a complete collection of the Ghost in the Shell series and movies on my shelves here (along with the 12 part new Ghost manga mini-series). This was my tribute to Ghost in the Shell from a couple of years ago... :)

Loving the Ghost.jpg

I'm also a big fan of the Appleseed series, and his Black Magic MA-66 among others...

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2017 at 1:51 PM

Reads like you really ARE a major fan of Shirow! My collection is nowhere near as extensive (and no doubt expensive).

And therein lies the tragedy. It seems more often than not that the theatrical anime movies or the television series gets all the attention. If one Googles "Ghost in the Shell" to return images, illustration by Shirow tend to fall way down the list, usually well past tons of fan art. Yet, that is the source material.

Yeah, my concerns might seem to some as a bit "hollow" given I depicted the Major in her first season "Stand Alone Complex" outfit instead of an ensemble from Shirow's manga. Okay, I admit it; I really like that outfit...though it looks like something one might wear "undercover" for the vice squad. I guess I should have fitted Aiko with the "Code Deleter" collection from BugzLife as that is similar to her "net dive" suit. Well, I can use that for a "follow-up" piece.

What I'd really like is to recreate that scandalously famous poster depicting an "octopus nest" of cables plugged into the barebacked Major's back. the trick would be creating displacement and transparency maps to "hollow out" Aiko and give her "skin" some thickness.

Thanks for the posting you render, Cschell and I hope others will participate.

Sincerely,

Bill

Kendra ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2017 at 2:47 PM

Looks great!

...... Kendra

Redfern ( ) posted Wed, 05 April 2017 at 11:06 AM

Saw the movie last night. It surprised me just how many sequences were more or less recreated from the 90s theatrical anime. Of course, the circumstances for these scenes were usually different, but I went in expecting that. Shirow himself reconsidered certain elements for his follow-up manga series and composed a forward basically saying, "The situations here don't necessarily mesh seamlessly with the events of the previous narrative." Shoot, in the original "Dominion: Tank Police", the infamous Puma Sisters rocketed into space with Buaku at the conclusion, seemingly never to return. But in the follow-up manga collection, the gynoid cat-girls are back with no adequate rationale other than Shirow noting, "Meh, never mind that other ending."

So, if Shirow himself substantially reworked his material, can we fault other adaptations for doing so?

Point being, I liked it.

Sincerely,

Bill

cschell ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2017 at 8:19 PM · edited Thu, 06 April 2017 at 8:21 PM

I gotta say, after I posted that last image the idea of a few GITS renders inspired me! I have one cooking in render now that I hope to have done for post tomorrow (just finalizing the last few tweaks to the scene), and I'm gonna attempt that very well-known image from the original movie posters of Kusanagi with the cluster of cabling over the white back-ground... I'll see about posting it once I'm done, just gotta figure out how to flag for content... :)

cschell ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2017 at 1:30 PM

Here's the render I had cooking up, it was inspired by the 1997 game Ghost in the Shell with animated cut-scenes by Masamune Shirow and using the same voice actors as the original animated movie. Enjoy! :)

Motoko Kusanagi.jpg

Redfern ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2017 at 2:51 PM

Ah, so THAT'S where the "cyber-dive" fetish wear appeared, a game adaptation. I retrieved my trade paperback of Shirow's first series the other night and I didn't see anything much akin to it within the main narrative. I thought it might have come from one of his early Motoko pin-ups. But thinking about it, I do recall a game I never got to see first hand. (I suspect one can find the "cut scenes" easily enough upon one streaming service or another. I think I search for them this weekend.)

Sincerely,

Bill

cschell ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2017 at 3:28 PM · edited Fri, 07 April 2017 at 3:37 PM

There was a promotional poster that used it as well... but mainly it was drawn and designed for the game as a set of original character images from the manga version of Motoko (the film version of her was heavily modified from Shirow's original concept art). There are a number of variations on it in his poster books as well with different styles for the suit and different color patterns...

Here's the poster I mentioned... https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/75/e5/65/75e565ececa0996b6446ef297663c0c4.jpg

and the cut-scenes from it are easily enough found on Youtube... :)

cschell ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2017 at 9:05 PM · edited Fri, 07 April 2017 at 9:06 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

As a last image for this thread here's my reproduction of the most well-known image of Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell... I've flagged it for nudity (I think anyways)... :)

Motoko Kusanagi 2.jpg

Helos ( ) posted Tue, 18 April 2017 at 1:37 PM · edited Tue, 18 April 2017 at 1:47 PM

Hi all, I wanna give my 2 cents to this too.

I was inspired by cschells mentioned image but take the older uniform. Redfern, where did you find the stockings?

A3 Hex 4 cor.jpg

Rendered in Poser Pro 2014 on a Mac.

Henning

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 18 April 2017 at 2:07 PM

The "stockings" come from a "limited time" freebie by Shukky. Basically, it was available for a limited time and then Shukky pulled it from distribution.

Thing is, I didn't use the entire stockings, just the upper "bands" that were assigned to the left and right "buttocks" groups. I did it this way because the outfit did not come with any morphs. The "cuffs" just happen to bridge the hip and thighs material zones on Aiko. I hid all parts of the stockings except for the cuffs and then colored Aiko's thighs, knees and shins the color of the stockings. This way, I was able to add a bit of muscle and definition to her legs. the lack of body morphs in Shukky's set was also the reason I used Nerd3D's "Hex" leotard and the "Lotus" jacket so I could give A3 the physique I wanted.

Yeah, the latest versions of Poser can, in theory, let me inject A3's morphs into Shukky's outfit, but I had already pieced together this character before I got PoserPro 2014. the only thing "new" I did was to add the Tail Gunner "Kicker" boots, giving her yet another "personal touch".

Sincerely,

Bill

Helos ( ) posted Thu, 20 April 2017 at 8:21 PM · edited Thu, 20 April 2017 at 8:23 PM

Thanks for your answer. That make me think to do the stockings with a Displacement-Map and and - just as you said -

a Texture-Map for the legs. The coloring is not what I wanted, but I will work that out.

A3 Motoko cor.png

Henning

cschell ( ) posted Fri, 21 April 2017 at 9:11 AM

That's come out rather nicely :)

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 22 April 2017 at 6:05 PM · edited Sat, 22 April 2017 at 6:06 PM

Section 9 gets a couple of new members, Batou and Aramaki.

M3-Batou-J-1.jpg

When I first saw the "Technophilia Eye Implants" at RDNA severl years ago, I knew I had to get them as one of the three included devices would be perfect to depict Batou, Motoko's closest friend on the force. I had already assembled Batou a few years ago. I loaded the files and tweaked some of the material settings, giving them a bit of grunge.

M3-Aramaki-J-1.jpg

More involved was Aramaki, Kusanagi's boss.In the original manga, Motoko occasionally referred to Aramaki as "the old ape" and Shirow's more "casual", abbreviated drawings of Section 9's leader do look a bit simian. So I used that as a starting point. I set the "chimp" morph for Michael 3 to half strength and then used other dials to return his ears and nose to human form. Then I just "went to town" adjusting numerous morph settings to add character.

Who's next on the list? in terms of screen time in 'Stand Alone Complex", I guess Togusa makes the most sense. But other than his 'mullet", he's the least visually distinctive of any remaining team member.

Sincerely,

Bill

Helos ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2017 at 5:44 PM · edited Mon, 24 April 2017 at 5:45 PM

Thanks cschell ... and congrats for your VGF-14 Wildcat in a new series of Robotech Comics - that's great!

@ Redfern: Very nice guys, they are looking pretty good.

I couldn't resist to render another Motoko,

pose was made by me, Seburo M5 comes from http://gamebanana.com/models/655 .

A3 Hex (Motoko) 4 cor TMC.jpg

Henning

cschell ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2017 at 6:30 PM

Helos posted at 7:29PM Mon, 24 April 2017 - #4303420

Thanks cschell ... and congrats for your VGF-14 Wildcat in a new series of Robotech Comics - that's great!

Nice job Helos and thank-you, it's very exciting for me as a fan of the series!

Helos ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2017 at 11:18 AM · edited Mon, 08 May 2017 at 11:19 AM

I'm thinking in some Motoko Cyborg images. This is my first impression:

A4 Cyborg Tank cor.png

Henning

Helos ( ) posted Tue, 09 May 2017 at 6:54 PM · edited Tue, 09 May 2017 at 6:58 PM

Okay, I've tried to make some Motoko-Cyborg Textures (the skin should lay above of the underlaying metal) and set her in an appropriate environment.

The most time got lost with posing the easypose cables - :))

A4 Motoko Cyborg 1 cor CS.png

A4 Motoko Cyborg 2 cor.png

Henning

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.