Wed, Oct 9, 6:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: pc only vs. mac/pc

jstro ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 9:10 PM · edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 4:53 PM

Are .obj mesh objects both MAC and PC usable. When adding items to FreeStuff there is a switch there to mark items as MAC, PC, or MAC/PC. But not having or using a MAC with Poser, I have no idea if a .obj that I create will work for them or not. I suspect a .obj is a .obj is a .obj and they will work fine, but I don't feel I can check MAC/PC with any confidence without asking here first. I don't want to leave anyone out, after all. Thanks. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

Wizzard ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 9:39 PM

to the bext of my knowledge the obj file is independant of the platform.. 8 ) either PC or Mac... I think the main differance is in the directory/folder setup and extension handeling ..

lynnJonathan ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 9:53 PM

Chances are if it works OK on a PC than it will work on a Mac. Obj files work with a PC, Mac, and even Unix(SGI). Half the stuff that says "PC only" around here works fine on my Mac anyway.

ShortySeanbo ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 10:36 PM

but who would want a mac? :-D

laetia ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 11:19 PM

I would want a mac. ;-))

Caroline (laetia)

• MarketPlace Tester, Vendor Support Forum Moderator, and Mac Goddess.

** Je parle français; n'hésitez pas à me contacter si je peux vous être utile!

willf ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 11:30 PM

MartinCs' MaConverter will convert PC files to MAC files & I havn't come across any PC Only files that don't work. The only possible exception is executable files (those that are increasingly a problem with PC, that's why I like MACs & why many, many ISPs are switching to Linux etc).

otaku ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 11:37 PM

Usually you can convert the pc object files with mac converter, although latley I have been having trouble with converted files and pro pac. They do work fine on poser 4.03 though so it must be a pro pac issue. I would mark them as pc and maybe add a note about your uncertanty. Most mac users will go ahead and grab it anyway if they know about macconverter. I have only had 1 file that I couldn't convert one way or another. And ShortySeanbo I also would want a mac in fact I have 6, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. (So no one thinks I just went out and purchased 6 at once. That's 4 desktops and 2 laptops over 8 years, can't seem to get rid of the old ones. Guess I'm creating my own batcave. It also allows me to surf, play with poser, watch a dvd, listen to music and balance my checkbook all at the same time.)

lynnJonathan ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 12:31 AM

I have a mac and a PC. I haven't put them in ring yet though. I do think its nice to have choices too. I like my mac better for graphic work. I use the PC to do little tasks and use non-mac programs like mimic, and I use it for final renders. Obviously somebody out there (actually a whole lot of people) wants a mac or else apple wouldn't be in business.

gryffnn ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 6:03 AM

Otaku, remember the Powerbook Duos? My husband's is called The Bat, and the dock is the Bat Cave. His new Palm Visor is Little Bat. We too use our old Macs for routine tasks and backup. Have never had one fail, but it's bound to happen one of these decades.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 7:48 AM

If it is in free stuff, we Mac users will download it anyway if we like it. As per the above comments: we can indeed readily open just about anything except .exe files. If you are selling something, clearly state in the product information that you've only tested it on a PC. It is nicer if you have a Mac-using friend who can test it for you, but if not, make it clear, and we will take our own risks. Note. I hate all those folders within folders within folders that the PC people use for automatic installation. I'd much rather have 1 folder with a readme file (giving the author's name!!!) and a sub-folder containing the actual item(s) to be installed. I have both PCs and Macs, but prefer to do graphics on the Macs and communications/business of the PCs. Best of both worlds. Carolly

hogwardenwork ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 10:51 AM

I'm not going to get into the PC/MAC arguement 'cos I think they're both fantastic! In the ".obj" export dialogue box in Amorphium, there is a check-box which reads... "Omit Line Feeds (MAC compatible)" So that must be it! It seems that most software couldn't give a monkeys about the line feeds anyway, but there you go.

laetia ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 11:03 AM

humm... Since there seem to be a few Mac people reading this thread, maybe someone can anwer a question for me... I've created some poser files on my Mac with nice little thumbnails that I'm happy with. They work really nice on my Mac, files & thumb. I converted them for use on a PC with Maconverter and although the files work perfectly well, the thumbnails show the ugly white guy. There are .rsr files that were generated and the person that tried the files put them in the right place, but the thumbs did not show up at all. Does anyone have any idea what else I could try to get the thumbs to work on a PC? I don't have access to one (well, yeah I do, but I do not have a version of Poser for PC so I can't verify my work...) and I need to bug people so they can test it for me, it's a little bit of a hassle... ;-) So, basically, I'd love to know how to do it right, so I don't need to bug anyone about this next time. ;-)) Thanks!!! :o) Caroline

Caroline (laetia)

PilotHigh ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 11:29 AM

Caroline: MacConverter also works backwards - change the prefs. Run the Mac files thru and you should get the rsr's.

laetia ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, I tried that, that's how I got the .rsr originally, but they did not work, as if what they contained was not correct ??

Caroline (laetia)

lynnJonathan ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 3:19 PM

Use Graphic Converter to make your own image. Just copy and paste it. I think you can open the rsr file with GC and make it whatever you want. Pro pack uses a different image format for the thumbnails. I haven't messed with it in a long time. If I have time I'll mess with it.

jstro ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 6:46 PM

All at one time! That's some fancy typing, otaku. ;-) I did the PC only switch on my first two models and added a little note that I did not know if they would work on a MAC or not. But after the upload, there was no sign of the note. But from what all you say, I should be oaky to check PC only and you all can and will use them if so inclined. Thanks for the advise. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.