Sun, Oct 6, 12:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: OT: Why is Candy a Halloween Tradition?

Deenamic ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2017 at 10:32 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 5:31 PM
Forum Moderator

Hello everybody! I was checking my email today and I opened an email from a restaurant my family likes to go to and I came across a blog article of theirs called "Why is Candy a Halloween Tradition?" and I thought it was very interesting and I wanted to share it with you all, because it shows how a lot of countries added a little bit of their traditions to what we know as Halloween today. I hope you all enjoy reading the article! 😄

http://goodness.cheddars.com/history-handing-candy/

Denesia (Dee)

Forums: Photoshop  ☮  Photography  ☮  Mixed Medium  ☮  Freestuff  ☮  Freestuff Testing  ☮  Changes wanted in the Community  ☮  Marvelous Designer  ☮  Challenge Arena  ☮  Animation  ☮  Fractals  ☮  Beta Testing  ☮  The Get-Away Spot  ☮  Newcomer Corner  ☮  Suggestion Box  ☮  Contest Announcements

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2017 at 1:11 AM
Site Admin

That article has a few errors, or maybe just omissions, at least for the origins of 'treats' in the United States. The custom of souling and guising was brought to the U.S. by immigrants. However, by the 1920's vandalism had reached epic proportions during Halloween. Organized community trick or treating was adopted by the 1930's to combat the vandalism. The treats were a bribe to keep your property from being vandalized. Trick or Treating ended at the start of WWII because of sugar rationing and night time curfews. My grandmother told me there were volunteers that walked the streets in the evening to ensure everyone had their blackout curtains in place. She had two small babies at the time (my father and aunt), and she recalls many nights spent hiding with them in the iron clawfoot bathtub because of air raid sirens. (bunkers were not widespread available). Anyway, after the war with sugar rationing lifted, the tradition of trick or treating began again. By the 1950's, any semblance of the real customs of Halloween were replaced by the commercialization of Halloween. The Candy companies enjoyed a profitable growth.

Reference:

http://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-trick-or-treating

and my grandmother's old stories

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2017 at 6:58 AM

Wow, between the 2 we have a great resource! Thank you!!

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Lenord ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2017 at 8:50 AM

I'm Irish it's Samhain not Halloween https://www.thoughtco.com/about-samhain-history-2562713

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.