Mon, Sep 9, 4:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 06 5:43 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Help Needed - Exporting a figure to OBJ

PanzerEmerald ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2017 at 9:24 PM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 5:13 AM

Okay, I'm at my wit's end. I bought Poser largely because I wanted to export certain figure shapes to OBJ format, so I could load them as morph targets in Daz Studio for the time being, since there's a few shapes I want to use for Dawn and Dusk that are sadly Poser only.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to export an OBJ from Poser. Every thing I've tried, nothing shows up in my folder I export it to. Nothing. I've searched for tutorials, I've searched for everything, and there is nothing that helps. Considering the reputation Poser has and how Rendo talks it up a big game, I'm very disappointed in the lack of even basic documentation about this simple feature. :/

If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And before you ask, no, I can't be bothered into moving entirely to Poser from DS: I primarily use Genesis 3, I use macOS, and I don't have the time and the patience to figure out the jerry rigging process. XP Sorry to sound hostile, but I'm tired of the program wars fanboy game, lmao. I'm an artist and I use whatever tools I can to get my work one, is all. /rant

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2017 at 4:08 AM

What steps are you taking to export? Starting with File > Export > Wavefront OBJ, what did you do then?

kol_2005 ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2017 at 5:01 AM · edited Wed, 27 December 2017 at 5:01 AM

is there a tutorial that shows you how to make morph objects out of .obj for Daz3D, that I would like know?

What PhilC mentions is the correct procedure for creating it, however perhaps its Daz not picking up the file, I don't use Daz very much so would not know either.

Andrew_C ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2018 at 8:52 PM · edited Tue, 02 January 2018 at 9:01 PM

If you just want to convert an OBZ to an OBJ, OBZ's are compressed OBJ's that can be opened & uncompressed in 7-Zip or WinZip. PMD's (Pozer Morph Delta's) which are rather common these days for morphs are a different story & will need to be exported as an OBJ, as you were planning.

It's a pity that the plugin for DAZ Studio 1.8 to 3.0 that read PMD's & allowed DAZ Studio to load them natively was abandoned.

EDIT: Corrected error

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2018 at 7:33 AM

If Poser saves your objs as obz, just turn off File compression. I believe it's on as default. That should give you proper objs :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Jules53757 ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2018 at 9:10 AM

There is a script available in the freestuff forum of DAZ that say it is able to read PMD's. Not tested until now.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Navim ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2018 at 11:41 AM

I have a question on the same vein. In exporting obj's and loading them in Bryce it calls for the different textures for the model such as diffuse etc. What path should I take to find these? I have Poser 11 on Win 8.1.

thanks

Mike

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2018 at 9:40 PM

Diffuse is usually just the plain texture map :) You should be able to find that in the runtime/Libraries/Textures folder - unless of course, you've put something on from another location.

There is/was a script to collect everything used in a scene into one folder. My Poser's rendering atm so I can't check if it's still there - or for that matter, if it was some external one I got at some point :( But check for something like Collect All :)

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

Navim ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2018 at 6:00 AM

Thanks T girl. May add it is a lot easier to put happy and poser together than happy and DS!

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2018 at 6:34 AM

Under Scripts->Utility->collectSceneinventory

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2018 at 6:49 AM

Navim posted at 1:48PM Tue, 09 January 2018 - #4321921

Thanks T girl. May add it is a lot easier to put happy and poser together than happy and DS!

Heh .. IMO it can only get better ;) I can't wrap my head around DS 😁

parkdalegardener posted at 1:48PM Tue, 09 January 2018 - #4321923

Under Scripts->Utility->collectSceneinventory

Ah it is still there. Great 👍

Navim ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2018 at 2:49 PM

Eureka! https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982169-using-collectsceneinventory-script

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.