Fri, Sep 20, 9:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Losing things......???

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 12:15 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:19 AM

This may sound really silly, but can someone tell me how I can stop losing things in a scene (vue4)? I copy an object, then move it..and I can no longer see the original item. I have switched to wireframe mode, but the wireframe view is only in the main camera view not the other views? After you all have a good giggle, could someone please offer some suggestions? This is driving me nuts. :::thanks in advance:::

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 12:23 AM

Hiya Beck, Sounds like you are having an Open GL problem. What's your video card? I think the primary offender is the Nvidea, but I could be wrong. You can, of course, turn off Open GL in the Options dialaogue. Also, you have to set each viewport for wireframe. You can set each for whatever, for that matter. Sure hope this helps, but I'm actually assuming you already know this, or wopuld think to do it. If it's not something like this causing your problem...no idea here.... :(

kruzr ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 12:30 AM

Hi Sacred Rose . . . 8^) I had & still have the same experience, with my copy of Vue 4. I e-mailed Vue's tech support & the return information I recieved was to disable the "Use Open GL" in the Options window. Although after doing so, I still had the same problem??? I also have the problem of, sometimes I'll load a plant or tree & when I look at the list of objects, I have two of the same plant or tree??? That's all the help, if it is any, that I can offer. Good luck & have a good one . . . Mark. ;^)

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 12:56 AM

Hm...okay, here's a dumb question. After you Copy the object, do you Paste it? It should be the pasted object that you move; that would leave the original object in place. But if you Copy the object, then move the object, you're moving the original and the copy is still on Clipboard until you Paste it. Hope it's something this simple and not your OpenGL. :)

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 1:05 AM

Heyas..... I have a GeForce II card by Guillermonte and have already disabled openGL.... I didnt think to set all windows to wireframe mode :/ Another weird thing is when I select a group of objects and change the texture...it doesnt happen. I have to go in and select each individual object and change the texture. Note these are primitives and yes... unfortunately the mapping issues are still with me as well. I'll try resetting the windows and see how I go. Thank you both for trying.

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 1:12 AM

Varian....I am copying and then pasting. going to another window to reselect it..and then moving it....but when I do, I can no longer see the original object....or the objects underneath it....eg. I made a block... made a colum to sit on the block..and I lost the block. I lifted the colum above the block height and dropped it. It landed on the block. I go to move it..and the block is no longer visible to enable positioning of the block. I copy the column...paste it, reselect it...move it..and the block and the original column are missing. Yet the colummns and the blocks are there in the camera view...just not in the viewport Im using.....totally weird :/

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 2:39 AM

file_221226.jpg

This is just a quickie of the scene im working on...it is preview rendered.... I dont have a screen capture utility loaded on 2k to show u what was happening, but hopefuilly u will get the gist of it. I built the stairwell with boolean subtractions, and then applied the steps...but even then I kept losing the stairwell...so it has been a real weird experience thus far.

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 5:59 AM

All I could say at this point is every now and then Vue seems to corrupt a scene somehow and really play hell with it. I had one which would refuse to accept render pausing, and another which crashed every time I tried to save one particular material I had made. As for not being able to texture an entire group, yeah, that's not just you...don't know why they did it, but it seems to be intentional.

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 11:16 AM

Okay, the way you're describing the items being there, then not being visible, but still being present, that sounds like a low memory problem. Switching to wireframe for all the windows should help with that. And when you catch it starting to happen again, close Vue and reboot, then go back to the scene. The inability to texture a group of objects -- or a multi-textured object like a Vue tree -- must be a bug. I just couldn't understand any reason for them to remove that ability deliberately.

nirsul ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 12:15 PM

I have an nVidia TNT2 and OpenGL fails in this application only - It causes problems - slows down and I am unable to select objects etc., But in other apps - this is not happening - so my conclusion is that Vue4 should be fixed - I tested it on an ATI card with much less memory and it worked just fine ! Nir

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 3:39 PM

hmmmmm I have 784mbs of SDram..no other apps working when I have vue running....the scene doesnt have that many polys and my resources are 78% free. I just cant understand this at all. I have never had a problem with my graphics card before....certainly not in vue 3.1 or even in 3dsmax 3.1...

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 4:07 PM

Sigh... Okay, one more thing to check. How much free disk space on the drive Vue is installed? Y'know...next thing we'll be suggesting is going to be writing E-on's support with all your details. The more info they have about problems folks are having, the more likely it is that the problems can be fixed.

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 4:14 PM

LOL It's a 12+gig drive partition (ATA100) with 7.67GIG free. Yes..it has been defragged...was defragged day before yesterday infact :) I know the E-on suggestion will be coming next....

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 4:26 PM

Hm, okay, no problem with the drive space, lol. Well...it's time to write E-on! :D support@e-onsoftware.com You can send them a link to this thread if you want, and you won't need to repeat everything already written here.

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 4:37 PM

Email sent. Thanks guys for everything you tried to do to help. I guess we just wait for e-on support now. Have a great one. ps...Varian, I sent them the links :D

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 12:23 PM

Cool, we've all got our fingers crossed for ya! Well...that makes it very hard to type, so let's just say we're wishing you the best! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.